PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning is more skilled than Brady? Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check conversion rates of FGs versus going for it on 4th down and then get back to me on which is running up the score. :ugh:

Hint: the worst team in 2007 was successful on 68% of their field goals.

Don't rationalize this. The Pats were on the Bills 10 yard line on fourth down...no way in hell they were going to lose that game no matter what.

Which one of these plays happened on fourth down?

So you think Belichick wanted to humiliate his friend, **** Jauron? Is that what you're saying here?

When Belichick was asked about it in the postgame press conference and, surprised, said "what did you want me to do, kick a field goal?" you thought he was just acting?

Seriously, when it comes to the Pats there are no "impartial observers." Everyone who isn't a fan feels slighted because their team likely got bulldozed at some point. 2007 was just a series of whining fans from other teams looking for any reason to rationalize why it was ok to get their asses kicked by the "evil Pats." The media fed you your rationalization and you fell for it. You're the homer here.

Don't rationalize this. The Pats were on the Bills 10 yard line on fourth down...no way in hell they were going to lose that game no matter what.

It's not rationalization. It's easier for the Bills to stop the 4th yard play and get the ball back thus preventing any points scored than it is for them to stop the FG attempt. But they couldn't do it. Unless you're saying that the Bills prefer to give away points on high percentage plays.

That's not the point. Why don't you read and think before reacting. They didn't want to score a meaningless 3 pts, they wanted to give the Bills a chance to stop them.

If they had kicked the FG, THAT would have been running up the score because it's adding on SURE points for absolutely no reason. It's not complicated.

Did the Colts go for it on fourth down while up astronomically? Because that is the main point here. Besides all that, the last offensive TD the Colts scored in that game was in the 3rd quarter. I think the Colts were up by 21 at the time.

If my team did something like that, I'd be embarrassed, not proud.
WHICH PART OF PEYTON MANNING GOING FOR IT IN THE FOURTH QUARTER AND SCORING DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

I really don't like resulting to name calling but, you really are a super-sized douchebag fighting a lost cause to appease you own piece of happiness in the world.

Last edited:
It's not rationalization. It's easier for the Bills to stop the 4th yard play and get the ball back thus preventing any points scored than it is for them to stop the FG attempt. But they couldn't do it. Unless you're saying that the Bills prefer to give away points on high percentage plays.

Why try and go for it on fourth down?

Answer the question; it's a simple one.

Are you still pretending it was a 4th down pass play, like when Peyton threw for a TD up 21 points already?

Because kicking a FG is running up the score. The other team has a better chance of stopping the 4th down play and preventing any points from being scored at all.

It's simple math.

What do you want the Pats to do, kneel when they can't run out the clock? Now talk about disrespectful.

IT'S BEEN ANSWERED 8 TIMES. you don't like the answer.

for the last time; it gives the Bills a chance to stop them and wind down the clock instead of just tacking on SURE points for no reason.

If you still can't understand that I can't help you.

And what the hell does this have to do with Brady v. Manning? Why are you bringing this up other than to entice people to flame you?

WHICH PART OF PEYTON MANNING GOING FOR IT IN THE FOURTH QUARTER AND SCORING DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

It was second down and in the third quarter with the Colts down 21, I believe. The game was far from over...2nd and 25, 80 yard TD pass. you never not go for it on second down, right?

Huge difference than going for it on fourth down while ahead 32 points going into the final quarter against a team that was obviously inferior.

Last edited:
Because kicking a FG is running up the score. The other team has a better chance of stopping the 4th down play and preventing any points from being scored at all.

It's simple math.

What do you want the Pats to do, kneel when they can't run out the clock? Now talk about disrespectful.

What the Patriots should have done was kneel down to turn the ball over (or intentionally fumble on 4th down) and then let the other team score a TD, so the other team would feel good about itself. :rolleyes:

It would be like those "feel good" stories from HS sports where a special needs kid gets in at the end of a game and the opposition lets him score. No professional athlete would mind being treated the same way. :rolleyes:

Since we're talking about running up the score, were Bills fans embarrassed when their team beat the Raiders 51-3 in the 1990 AFCCG? The Bills scored 10 points in the 4th quarter of that game, including a Norwood FG for the final points. I guess it was "karma" which made him miss against the Giants a week later.

I'm removing myself from this thread because it's become pointless.

What the Patriots should have done was kneel down to turn the ball over (or intentionally fumble on 4th down) and then let the other team score a TD, so the other team would feel good about itself. :rolleyes:

It would be like those "feel good" stories from HS sports where a special needs kid gets in at the end of a game and the opposition lets him score. No professional athlete would mind being treated the same way. :rolleyes:

Since we're talking about running up the score, were Bills fans embarrassed when their team beat the Raiders 51-3 in the 1990 AFCCG? The Bills scored 10 points in the 4th quarter of that game, including a Norwood FG for the final points. I guess it was "karma" which made him miss against the Giants a week later.

Any other team in the history of the game would have kicked the field-goal. I'm still waiting for a legitimate example of another team doing something similar. I'm not talking about a lop-sided score; I'm talking about going for it on fourth down for a TD instead of settling for 4 less points when your team has 0% chance of losing the game.

I'll figure that I'm posting in the Twilight Zone if nobody is going to at least indicate that they understand what I'm talking about, whether they agree or not...at least I'll understand that I'm on the same planet. If you disagree, I'll feel right at home...on the planet Earth populated by homers.

Any other team in the history of the game would have kicked the field-goal. I'm still waiting for a legitimate example of another team doing something similar. I'm not talking about a lop-sided score; I'm talking about going for it on fourth down for a TD instead of settling for 4 less points when your team has 0% chance of losing the game.

I'll figure that I'm posting in the Twilight Zone if nobody is going to at least indicate that they understand what I'm talking about, whether they agree or not...at least I'll understand that I'm on the same planet. If you disagree, I'll feel right at home...on the planet Earth populated by homers.

What other teams may or may not have done doesn't really have any bearing on the simple fact that conversion rates on FGs are higher than conversion rates for 4th down conversions.

Last edited:
You've conveniently ignored a number of posts as of late.

There has been nothing convenient about this for me. The volume of posts attacking my position alone aren't convenient for me to give enough attention to. we are approaching 50 pages now, and I'm the only one arguing against Brady as compared to Manning as far as I can see.

Can you see that?

I'd have to write an entire book.

Can you see that?

There has been nothing convenient about this for me. The volume of posts attacking my position alone aren't convenient for me to give enough attention to. we are approaching 50 pages now, and I'm the only one arguing against Brady as compared to Manning as far as I can see.

Can you see that?

I'd have to write an entire book.

Can you see that?

But somehow you've steered the conversation away from legitimate discussion of stats/skill etc. to button-pushing by bringing up irrelevant garbage about "spygate" and "running up the score."

P.S. your comment about every other team kicking a FG in that situation is pure nonsense.

What other teams may or may not have done doesn't really have any bearing on the simple fact that conversion rates on FGs are higher than conversion rates for 4th down conversions.

This is a BS rationaliztion. Going for it on 4th down while on the opponents 10 yard-line while up 32 points late in the game... That's the issue. The Patriots had done things like that all season...running up the score, and that's not something I've seen any team do even once in my 30 years of being a spectator.

Can you see how I would think that, and can you admit it without calling me a name?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick