PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Says Super Bowl Benching Documentary/Book Coming

This happens to be a site for FANS of the New England Patriots, where being a so-called "homer" shouldn't be cause for derision. It's not a place where the team, its owner and coaches should forever be on trial and supporters presumed guilty 'til proven "sufficiently critical and judgmental." That said, you are far from a font of objectivity; in fact, your track record tips decidedly in the opposite direction. Give me homers over haters any day.

Jonestown was nothing compared to PatsFans.

See above.

Last edited:
He was on with Fauria today and he said he was never told why he was benched, but he said it may have to do with Belichick didn't want him to be the guy making plays knowing that he would be going to another team. He also said how could they play J. Richards ahead of him, and let Richards cover N. Agholor 1 on 1, which is something we as fans have questioned since that game. Butler said Tom Brady would 8 rings if Belichick had played him in that Super Bowl.

He was on with Fauria today and he said he was never told why he was benched, but he said it may have to do with Belichick didn't want him to be the guy making plays knowing that he would be going to another team. He also said how could they play J. Richards ahead of him, and let Richards cover N. Agholor 1 on 1, which is something we as fans have questioned since that game. Butler said Tom Brady would 8 rings if Belichick had played him in that Super Bowl.

Yeah, Malcolm's story and alleged capabilities change by the hour. Chances are Darrelle Revis in his prime couldn't have compensated for the Pats' AWOL pass rush.

This happens to be a site for FANS of the New England Patriots, where being a so-called "homer" shouldn't be cause for derision. It's not a place where the team, its owner and coaches should forever be on trial and supporters presumed guilty 'til proven "sufficiently critical and judgmental." That said, you are far from a font of objectivity; in fact, your track record tips decidedly in the opposite direction. Give me homers over haters any day.

See above.
Lighten up Francis.

Yeah, Malcolm's story and alleged capabilities change by the hour. Chances are Darrelle Revis in his prime couldn't have compensated for the Pats' AWOL pass rush.
He couldn’t have been worse then Richards or Badimosi

Benching him for the first half would have made sense. The entire game felt like cutting off their nose to spite their face on a night they needed just one third down stop to win the game. Especially on a night where Brady was on fire and he’ll forever be the answer to a SB trivia question that ends “in a losing effort”.

Was the punishment commensurate with the alleged crime??
Despite what Malcolm publishes will we ever know the truth??
My hopes are realistic....

I'll go with what Malcolm said right after the game. He said he could play and help the team win.

You do that. Pick what supports your position. It was also in the heat of the moment. A great competitor who can walk will always say that.
You think he's writing a book about how he's totally responsible for the benching? Please.
He's got a great life story to tell and I think he wants to make money. He even said this week it was a coaching decision. What we don't know was it performance, matchup or medical - based decision.
And what did you think he would say about it when asked at his Titans press conference? Not really the spot to suddenly come clean on the situation.
Come clean with what? It wasn't a press conference. It was on the side of a field. He already got his Titans money. If he was going to "come clean" that was the time.
And stop acting like you haven't heard the rumors and speculation about it being a discipline benching. Like I just pulled it out of the thin air.
I've heard them but when multiple sources including MB, BB and Patricia say him not playing was not related to a disciplinary issue, then there is no need to give them credence. Why are you doing it? If you want to look for the truth start reading what the closest to the situation have to say. Be rational.

Last edited:
Belichick's consistency won Super Bowls. So play Butler, beat the Eagles, but if Belichick wasn't like this his entire career, we'd have more locker room issues like so many other teams have. Adalius and Randy Moss were shown the door. That means something.
That's a load of BS. You play him one game and let him go in free agency as they did. Would not have changed anything except winning one more SB.

He couldn’t have been worse then Richards or Badimosi

For the third time: with zero pass rush there was no guarantee he would have been better assuming he was prepared and healthy, which is in question. Butler was not a shutdown corner, people are overstating what he brought to the table. That Pats pass defense was bottom of the league all season.

Last edited:
I'd like to know which play Butler was supposedly going to change, especially with tears in his eyes the whole time. Why aren't we asking why Brady didn't catch the ball. We get all over Welker for his drop, but Bradys was far easier and could have made a difference. Nevermind the strip sack at the end. There's more proof of Brady giving up in that game than BB did if you look at it honestly. I wonder if Brady was allowing himself to be be tampered with that much earlier than we thought.

See above.
Agreed. Only problem is that fans who criticize team are derided much more as haters. Both feelings are ok and should be acceptable to all fans.

Can we all agree on two things here?:

1. Johnson Bademosi sucks

2. Jordan Richards SUCKS

Neither player belongs in an NFL secondary during a live game. Most definitely neither has any business whatsoever getting meaningful snaps in a friggin Super Bowl.

Predictably both were terrible in SB 52. Rowe with his increased role was also terrible. And Chung who played out of his usual position was terrible. Malcolm being removed from the lineup is what allowed for all of that.

Anyone contending Malcolm would not have played better than Bademosi and Richards is being disingenuous. You're only saying it to further your futile attempts to defend an indefensible coaching decision by Belichick.

The worst coaching decision in the history of the Super Bowl. How could it not be? It cost his team the game.

I'd like to know which play Butler was supposedly going to change, especially with tears in his eyes the whole time. Why aren't we asking why Brady didn't catch the ball. We get all over Welker for his drop, but Bradys was far easier and could have made a difference. Nevermind the strip sack at the end. There's more proof of Brady giving up in that game than BB did if you look at it honestly. I wonder if Brady was allowing himself to be be tampered with that much earlier than we thought.
Congratulations!!! You won the single dumbest take on that game in the history of this site.

It took some doing but bravo!

Edit: this is probably the single dumbest take on any subject in the history of this site. Just WOW

For the third time: with zero pass rush there was no guarantee he would have been better assuming he was prepared and healthy, which is in question. Butler was not a shutdown corner, people are overstating what he brought to the table. That Pats pass defense was bottom of the league all season.
Come on - be at least somewhat reasonable. Richards and Badimosi did not belong on an NFL roster - let alone the SB. He would have been better than them in his sleep

One of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. Anyone who has played quarterback or knows anything about the position will tell you Brady did nothing wrong on the strip sack. He took the snap and quickly glanced at Gronk who had been killing the Eagles all game, didn’t like what he saw, and went to check down to White. Sadly, Mason picked the wrong play to become a turnstile.

Come on - be at least somewhat reasonable. Richards and Badimosi did not belong on an NFL roster - let alone the SB. He would have been better than them in his sleep

Post #217.

Congratulations!!! You won the single dumbest take on that game in the history of this site.

It took some doing but bravo!

Edit: this is probably the single dumbest take on any subject in the history of this site. Just WOW
What is it that you disagree with?
Did Brady not have a critical drop, followed by a strip sack? According to some, TB is responsible for 50% of the teams success, so his accountability rate should be higher, no. Then translate the 20% of the coaches input (according to some), and given the fact that Butler didn't play, which means there was an extra person they didn't have to worry about coaching, that would mean that BB was far less responsible for that loss than Brady was, right?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back