PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Says Super Bowl Benching Documentary/Book Coming

Reading more about this where Fat Matt said the decision came down to playing certain "packages" makes me believe it was a coaching decision after all. It was part of their D game plan.

After watching Foles torch the Vikings with 26/352 yds/3 TD/0 INT and a 141.4 rating, Bill and FM broke out the HOF defensive plan used against the Bills vs Giants SB to encourage PHI to run the ball and keep Foles elite passing skills subdued. Butler was just a decoy that completely fooled the Eagles. Torrey Smith said he didn't review any of Rowe's film instead focused on Malcolm. Jeffrey was also confounded since he'd been studying Gilly's film. Haha, suckers.

The plan was genius and almost worked. The Eagles took the bait and rushed the ball 27 times for 164 yards and only 1 TD. That limited Foles to only 44 passing attempts for only 374 yards and barely 3 TDs and a measely 106.1 rating.

To this day, the HOF committee is pondering whether to include Belichick's defensive game plan in the HOF as an example of what not to do during a ****ing SB.

BTW, Butler got paid $56k for standing on the sidelines. That's enough to buy a decent pick-up truck.

Last edited:
From the beginning I thought that Bill didn't really want Butler, or at least didn't want to pay him.
When Butler was benched for the 2017 SB I figured he must have done something wrong.
And when Butler left the team and didn't have anything negative to say I thought I was correct.
But it dawned on me that maybe Butler didn't want to hurt his chances in the NYFL and that's why he kept quiet.
Then some of the things about Patricia came up concerning his relationship with his players on the Lions.
That got me thinking that Patricia could have been behind Butler's benching and Bill is just taking a sword for his coach, something he would do.
Another thing that had me rethinking my position was the fact that the Pats brought him back.
If Butler did something so egregious as to be benched for an entire SB then why would he come back and why would they want him?
Now I'm thinking there's something's fishy in Patsville and Patricia may be involved somehow.

HE PLAYED IN THE GAME. HE DID NOT HAVE A CONCUSSION.
How do you know? How do you know he didn't have a virus? You are so convinced he was sat for disciplinary reasons without zero evidence when everyone says it wasn't. I suggest keeping an open mind.
You're saying he played with a concussion.
No i'm saying it's a possibility. Just as you are saying he was disciplined.
No one said he was injured after the game, not Butler, not Belichick, not anyone associated with the team.
No one said anything. Period.
At least speculating he was punished for some misconduct (which has been widely rumored) aligns with him being in uniform, on the sideline, and actually playing on ST (while being excluded from every defensive snap).
Or being sick. Again. No one said MB was punished.
The Eagles had the ball for 35 minutes, 540 yards, and 41 points. That doesn't tell you anything about the coaching? Especially considering the head coach had decided "it was in the best interest of the team" to bench a key defender.
It tells me our defense was outplayed and outmanned on all levels. Considering we played James Harrison who was on the couch a month prior, we deactivated Branch and needed to start Elandon Roberts. We had a lot more problems than missing MB.

When freaking Eric Lee and Ricky -Jean Francois play 31 snaps vs a 13-3 team you are f-ed.

Always find it interesting how fans spend more time complaining about the 3 SB the NEP lost than the 6 they won. Jesus.

Last edited:
This narrative is comical. BB benched Malcolm because he was protecting Malcolm's FA value. He made the man breakdown into tears on the sideline and then stood him there for 4 quarters while the defense was getting obliterated. The spectacle BB created put Malcolm in a bad light that night. A night in which BB decided Jordan Richards was a better option than Malcolm Butler. Jordan Richards! arguably BB's worst draft pick ever.
.....and you have NO idea what precipitated Butler not playing any more than I do. YOUR speculation is not any better than mine.

I'm basing mine of the fact that Butler has NEVER whined and moaned about fully 5 years after the fact. The fact he came back and tried to make the team. The fact be DID get paid and paid well after he left. You on the other hand seem to base YOUR supposition on your dislike of Belichick and the Pats lost that game.

Again - IF BB screwed him, WHY didn't Malcolm speak out about the "injustice"? WHY did he sign with them again? Why didn't Bill speak out when he was taking major heat for this? Why haven't dozens of his teammates not spoken out long after they have left the league and complained? The are questions you and others continue to ignore.

Over 20 years, there are MYRIADS of questionable decisions Bill has made. A head football coach makes dozens every week that can be questioned and that's on the HS level, let alone on a professional basis where multi-million dollar decisions are constantly being made.

BTW- My point about Bill keeping his reasons why he didn't play Butler to himself DID protect his FA value. It would have been easy for Bill to bad mouth him to his potential suitors. But he didn't. Why was that? He could have easily gotten everyone (including you) off his back with a simple pro-Bellichick comment on the subject. Yet you continue to paint Bill as this vile, arrogant, idiot who won only because of Tom Brady. :rolleyes:

Always find it interesting how fans spend more time complaining about the 3 SB the NEP lost than the 6 they won. Jesus.
I talk about the 6 Super Bowls they won all the time. Except I get hammered for it because I'm "glorifying Brady."

I just rewatched that 4th quarter from 5 years ago….

No doubt Butler would have made a play or two…so ****ing close…

505 yards and lost the Superbowl……insane….

I talk about the 6 Super Bowls they won all the time. Except I get hammered for it because I'm "glorifying Brady."
The reason you get hammered is because you couch it as it was all because of Brady.

I'm basing mine of the fact that Butler has NEVER whined and moaned about fully 5 years after the fact.
Reportedly Butler's writing an entire book on the matter so apparently he'll have A LOT to say about it.

WHY didn't Malcolm speak out about the "injustice"?
He did. Right after the game. And in his upcoming book.

WHY did he sign with them again?
$

Why didn't Bill speak out when he was taking major heat for this?
Because he doesn't give a ****.

Why haven't dozens of his teammates not spoken out long after they have left the league and complained?
Rowe complained in the locker room after the game. Brady complained during a live broadcast interview with Gray. Many current and former players openly supposed Butler immediately after the Super Bowl.

Now you can stop saying "these are questions you and others continue to ignore."

Yet you continue to paint Bill as this vile, arrogant, idiot who won only because of Tom Brady.

Brady's first 5 seasons:

3 Pro Bowls
NFL MVP votes in 2003 & 2005
NFL leader in TDs (2002)
NFL leader in yards (2005)
4 division titles
16 game-winning drives (regular season)
5 game-winning drives (postseason)
11-1 postseason record
3 Super Bowl rings
2 Super Bowl MVPs

That's not a "middle of the road game managing QB." It's a HOFer had he retired right then.
It's kind of funny seeing someone try to minimize Brady's accomplishments. That's an impossible task.

When I listened to Bill on the Let's Go podcast, and he described how Brady was correctly recognizing so many things in a fraction of a second, I thought of two things;
1) I knew Brady's brain was big but I didn't realize just how big until I heard it explained by Bill.
2) I don't know why Bill didn't value Brady as much as he should have.

We don't know this we don't know that. What we do know is Butler cried before the game. Why? Butler didn't play defense. Butler wasn't on the injury report. Neither BB or Butler have told us why. I'm sorry, not sorry. Something other than "best chance for us to win" is not an explanation. Until we get something more then all this speculation is fair.

The reason you get hammered is because you couch it as it was all because of Brady.
Oh. I can clear that up then... 50% Brady, 30% remaining players, 20% Belichick HC/GM

Brady's first 5 seasons:

3 Pro Bowls
NFL MVP votes in 2003 & 2005
NFL leader in TDs (2002)
NFL leader in yards (2005)
4 division titles
16 game-winning drives (regular season)
5 game-winning drives (postseason)
11-1 postseason record
3 Super Bowl rings
2 Super Bowl MVPs

That's not a "middle of the road game managing QB." It's a HOFer had he retired right then.
FIrst of all 2005 was Brady's 6th year in the league. so throw out those 2005 stats

And I applaud your use of nitpicking your stats to bolster you narrative. Yes brady had ONE more TD than 3 others in 2002. There were also TEN other QB's who had higher QB ratings. So does that stat means he was 11rh best QB? So I can mislead with stats as well, but to what end. BTW there were dozens of guys on those teams that had 3 rings.

And you don't get game winning drives on you own. QB's DON'T win games on their own, otherwise the best QB would win the superbowl EVERY year, but they don't. BTW this is getting very tiresome. not only for me but I suspect for everyone else as well. In some respects I admire you enthusiasm, but you HAVE to understand that your monomania about Bellichick and Brady are driving good people from the site.

FIrst of all 2005 was Brady's 6th year in the league. so throw out those 2005 stats

And I applaud your use of nitpicking your stats to bolster you narrative. Yes brady had ONE more TD than 3 others in 2002. There were also TEN other QB's who had higher QB ratings. So does that stat means he was 11rh best QB? So I can mislead with stats as well, but to what end. BTW there were dozens of guys on those teams that had 3 rings.

And you don't get game winning drives on you own. QB's DON'T win games on their own, otherwise the best QB would win the superbowl EVERY year, but they don't. BTW this is getting very tiresome. not only for me but I suspect for everyone else as well. In some respects I admire you enthusiasm, but you HAVE to understand that your monomania about Bellichick and Brady are driving good people from the site.
I'm not trying to drag this out but I applaud you applauding his nitpicking and then go on to some nitpicking of your own(only one more td than 3 others...). And game winning drives is a stat that just about everyone recognizes and I'm pretty sure they realize that the rest of the offense is involved. When one person though is the quarterback that leads more of those drives than anyone else over a 20+ year career its hard to not give him the the majority of the credit for them. Having said that BB is the GOAT coach and Tom Brady is the GOAT player.

If good people are being driven from the site (which I doubt) it's more likely because whenever the subject comes up some of the IBWTers want the discussion to go away, even though many others respectfully contribute to the discussion. I think @Wozzy is a great example of that.

Yes, QBs don't win games alone. They win with other players, not coaches.

He was on the field for warmups, he was dressed, he was standing on the sideline, and he actually played in the game. That excludes "he was not prepared to play."

The coaching staff had predetermined Malcolm was not going to play on defense at all. And they stuck to it despite their defense being disorganized and incompetent for 4 quarters. There's 0% chance that Bademosi, Richards and Rowe were more prepared to play in that game than Malcolm.

Bademosi - 20% defensive snaps during the regular season (and he had 0 postseason snaps prior to that Super Bowl).

Richards - 26% defensive snaps during the regular season.

Rowe - 49% defensive snaps during the regular season (jumped to 95% snaps in the Super Bowl).

Butler - 98% defensive snaps during the regular season (he played every snap in the Divisional and CG). 0 defensive snaps in the Super Bowl.
No, it doesn’t. He played one snap on special teams.

It’s not hard to understand that when you sit down cb2, then cb3 plays more.
Butler himself said he wasn’t dialed in. Coaches for centuries have made decisions to not play players who are unprepared and whose head is not in the game.
You can disagree with the decision all you want (although knowing the state of mind is someone benched for their state of mind would be helpful) but there is no reason to create conspiracy theories.

First 5 years as a starter. I'm throwing out 2000.

And I applaud your use of nitpicking your stats to bolster you narrative.
I stuck to main categories. No nitpicking.

And you don't get game winning drives on you own.
It's an official QB stat. So yes, Brady gets credit for those drives.

BTW this is getting very tiresome.
What exactly? Don't converse with me if you find me boring. Put me on ignore, or mute, or whatever appropriate forum tool.

not only for me but I suspect for everyone else as well. In some respects I admire you enthusiasm, but you HAVE to understand that your monomania about Bellichick and Brady are driving good people from the site.
You're a spokesman for the forum now? And who have I "driven away"? Names.

And look at some of the thread titles:

"Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB"
"Malcolm Butler Says Super Bowl Benching Documentary/Book Coming"
"Tom Brady says he's done for good"
"Dan Orlovsky Top 5 QB's Of All Time"
"Brady vs Belichick? QB's Podcast Reveals It Truly Was a Partnership"

You think Brady and Belichick may come up in some of those?

I’m sure he was. I’m just curious about the severity of the event and whether or not it warranted an entire game, especially the most important one of the year.
I will go to my grave pissed at Bill for that benching. Nothing short of murder/rape would have justified that crap.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back