PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Says Super Bowl Benching Documentary/Book Coming

What is it that you disagree with?
Did Brady not have a critical drop, followed by a strip sack? According to some, TB is responsible for 50% of the teams success, so his accountability rate should be higher, no. Then translate the 20% of the coaches input (according to some), and given the fact that Butler didn't play, which means there was an extra person they didn't have to worry about coaching, that would mean that BB was far less responsible for that loss than Brady was, right?
Every play counts and Brady missed on a couple. Therefore we lost because of Brady. Brilliant!

Every play counts and Brady missed on a couple. Therefore we lost because of Brady. Brilliant!
Seriously!!

505 passing yards (shattering his own record of 466 in the miraculous comeback win over Atlanta)
3 TDs
0 INT
115.7 passer rating

The greatest performance by a quarterback in a Super Bowl loss. Brady gets 0% blame for this loss.

Everybody foused so much on Passing, forgot the Eagles averaged 6 yards a carry in that game. We had Zero sacks in that game. No pressure all game on Foles, and very manageable 3rd downs.
12 for 18- 3rd and 4th downs. D-Line had a lot of blame in this game, and not getting the heat.

Eagles had 374 net passing yards in that game, we had 500. Their D-Backs were worse.

Last edited:
Everybody foused so much on Passing, forgot the Eagles averaged 6 yards a carry in that game. We had Zero sacks in that game. No pressure all game on Foles, and very manageable 3rd downs.

Eagles had 374 net passing yards in that game, we had 500. Their D-Backs were worse.
The refs, for some reason, decided before the game not to call holding. On either team.

1000%

And imagine this. WHATEVER occurred, whatever the reason, Butler was sick, Butler wasn't "dialed in" that week, Belichick doing this or that, whatever. But at halftime of the game, he pulls Butler aside and says,

"Malcolm, let's go win another Super Bowl."

Is anyone really going to tell me that Pats' defense doesn't have a better half than they did? Please.
Not Bill's personality.

It would be up to Malcolm - possibly along with a defensive captain - to ask Patricia &/or Belichick.

Bill (& Kraft) do not make adjustments or exceptions to their modus operandi.

Just ask Tom, who just retired as a Buc.

I hope to move on with my life for a few more years.

Anyway, back to football and my question. If it was a case of Butler being sick why not tell us that at the time? Why the secrecy?
Transparent is not how I would describe the Kraft/Belichick regime.

Agreed. Only problem is that fans who criticize team are derided much more as haters. Both feelings are ok and should be acceptable to all fans.

Criticizing the team is fine, no problem with that whatsoever. When it becomes agenda-driven is where the problem lies and part of that recently is making "homer" a dirty word. As if preferring to be optimistic, hopeful and supportive is somehow dishonest or shameful. Remember where the word "fan" comes from -- this isn't PatsCritics.com.

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out the percentage of blame as outlined for us. If. BB's value per win is only 20%, no matter the game I assume, then why couldn't the 50% the QB position is responsible for overcome the fact that one person didn't play that night? Did BB not putting Butler in cause TB to drop the pass, or cause him to get strip sacked? Because those things did happen. Leaving Butler out may have been bad, but there is no play out there anyone can pick and guarantee he would have made that would change the outcome. The only highlight we have of MB prior to the start is of him being a sniffling snotbag no longer prepared to contribute to a game on the biggest stage of them all.

I wonder how valuable that 20% was when the Atlanta game went from 21-3 to 28-3. How did that happen again?

Criticizing the team is fine, no problem with that whatsoever. When it becomes agenda-driven is where the problem lies and part of that recently is making "homer" a dirty word. As if preferring to be optimistic, hopeful and supportive is somehow dishonest or shameful. Remember where the word "fan" comes from -- this isn't PatsCritics.com.
The clearest agenda-driven takes on the forum are those of the IBWT-homers defining critics of the team as "haters." You my friend are the self appointed #1 homer tagging posters w/ the agenda-driven "hater" label. That's 85% of your posts. You actually post very little content. You go from thread to thread following posters to berate them and label them as haters. The other 15% is using your dumb meme caption maker to troll Brady or attack posters. Look at yourself before leveling criticisims at others.

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out the percentage of blame as outlined for us. If. BB's value per win is only 20%, no matter the game I assume, then why couldn't the 50% the QB position is responsible for overcome the fact that one person didn't play that night? Did BB not putting Butler in cause TB to drop the pass, or cause him to get strip sacked? Because those things did happen. Leaving Butler out may have been bad, but there is no play out there anyone can pick and guarantee he would have made that would change the outcome. The only highlight we have of MB prior to the start is of him being a sniffling snotbag no longer prepared to contribute to a game on the biggest stage of them all.

I wonder how valuable that 20% was when the Atlanta game went from 21-3 to 28-3. How did that happen again?
Your analysis sucks. I get the point you're trying to make but it falls way short of proving that sitting Butler was less significant than Brady having a couple mistakes in a game he set records in

Even if all of that was true validating the decision not to start him, why not make adjustments after the half?

I see little Steven's (secondary coach) fingerprints all over this and Daddy backing him up. Nepotism is a lousy reason to lose a SB.
Agree with the first part. Richards trying to keep up with Clement will forever haunt my dreams. Chung vs. Agholor playing the slot was also a huge mismatch.

The clearest agenda-driven takes on the forum are those of the IBWT-homers defining critics of the team as "haters." You my friend are the self appointed #1 homer tagging posters w/ the agenda-driven "hater" label. That's 85% of your posts. You actually post very little content. You go from thread to thread following posters to berate them and label them as haters. The other 15% is using your dumb meme caption maker to troll Brady or attack posters. Look at yourself before leveling criticisims at others.

That's rich coming from this forum's No. 1 hater. Ninety percent of your posts are anti-Mac, anti-BB, anti-people trying to support and enjoy the team; that is, between the compulsively defensive Brady worship. The world record for driving an agenda was your ridiculous Mac-hating Bailey Zappe campaign, finally abandoned once demonstrable facts penetrated your wall of denial.

You give lip service to wanting this team to succeed but your abiding negativity proves otherwise. And you wouldn't know a "content post" if it bit you in the ass. Take a running jump.

Your analysis sucks. I get the point you're trying to make but it falls way short of proving that sitting Butler was less significant than Brady having a couple mistakes in a game he set records in
My analysis sucks because you don't agree with it. However, I'm only trying to follow the guidelines of responsibility (I assume per game?) as previously outlined by the "no longer IBWTers." So what was worse? Failing in a game you have 50% responsibility for or failing in a game you only have 20% responsibility for?

Butler was really really bad that year. It is not like he was the second coming of Mike Haynes. I doubt if he played it would have made a difference.
Context. He was really bad if the expectation was that he play as a mid-to-upper tier CB1. Instead he played like a middling starting CB... Which is miles, miles, miles better than than guys like Bademosi.

My analysis sucks because you don't agree with it. However, I'm only trying to follow the guidelines of responsibility (I assume per game?) as previously outlined by the "no longer IBWTers." So what was worse? Failing in a game you have 50% responsibility for or failing in a game you only have 20% responsibility for?
No one agrees with it.

Context. He was really bad if the expectation was that he play as a mid-to-upper tier CB1. Instead he played like a middling starting CB... Which is miles, miles, miles better than than guys like Bademosi.
Being oblivious to the fact that the Super Bowl is not an ordinary game and not an ordinary environment is usually fatal.

Rise to the occasion or lose.

No one agrees with it.
Sure they do, 50% credit to the QB, 20% to the coaching. How else should I break it down? I'm trying to relearn how to be a Pats fan, obviously I'm not getting it and need some help.

What’s worse is creating a narrative out of thin air to create criticism over.
Belichick benched Butler. We don’t know the reason. You can either
1) be pissed regardless of the reason
2) figure the reason must have been legit
3) make up a reason that makes the person you decide to blame look bad
1 is a reasonable negative fan perspective. 2 is a reasonable positive fan perspective. 3 is a load of crap, and the stuff that in my opinion, ruins this board, whether it’s from negative or positive fans.

Agree with the first part. Richards trying to keep up with Clement will forever haunt my dreams. Chung vs. Agholor playing the slot was also a huge mismatch.
Richards is a total ****ing clown. Gets my vote for the worst BB draft pick.

While you're talking about **** play from the secondary don't forget Devin McCourty tripping all over himself trying to cover Ertz on the game winning score for the Eagles. Embarrassing!

That's rich coming from this forum's No. 1 hater.
Thanks for proving my point.

Ninety percent of your posts are anti-Mac, anti-BB, anti-people trying to support and enjoy the team; that is, between the compulsively defensive Brady worship.
Saying that Mac was playing like **** isn't being a hater because he was. Lombardi called for his benching, is he a hater too? My posts are based on metrics to prove my opinions instead of caption driven memes to troll and attack posters.

The world record for driving an agenda was your ridiculous Mac-hating Bailey Zappe campaign, finally abandoned once demonstrable facts penetrated your wall of denial.
I didn't start that thread. There were >100 votes in that thread, 60% voted for Zappe. Are you on record that >60 posters are Mac-haters?

You give lip service to wanting this team to succeed but your abiding negativity proves otherwise. And you wouldn't know a "content post" if it bit you in the ass. Take a running jump.
I want this team to succeed which means having to make difficult, sometimes unpopular decisions:
1. Stop trying to win with jags;
2. Sign more elite players;
3. Find the best coaches in the league outside of Bill's circle;
4. The record of 70+ year old coaches isn't good (sub .500), maybe its time to look at the future.

All of the above if enacted would lead to better results than we've experienced the last 3 seasons. Blindly saying In Bill We Trust got us last season = a disaster.

I'm a practical man not a blind homer like you. There's always room for improvement. OTOH your refusal to accept any level of criticism of the team (done by every one of the other 31 fan bases) is tantamount to trying to silence a/o censor opinions.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back