PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Draft scouting report weaknesses ring true

That's a bold statement. The quarterback is the most important position in professional sports. If Mac isn't a true franchise quarterback then it's a major problem because the team isn't good enough otherwise to make up for it.

And how confident are you that Belichick will completely scrap his plans for the offensive hierarchy after merely one season?

The pro bowl mention is a little disingenuous too imo.
In my opinion, the two main problems are 1) Offensive coordinator and 2) O-line. Has Mac been great, no, but we saw that he could be productive and lead us to the playoffs last year with an injury riddled team late in the year and not great weapons on the outside.

I'm not sure how mentioning the pro bowl is disingenuous. I'm just stating that he made it last year.

Do I think we have enough talent to win a SB now, no. We probably have the least amount of talent in the division. We're in every game though because we have the GOAT as a head coach and that masks a lot of deficiencies. We literally should be 9-5 now. That's not too bad and that's with an inept offense. Let's see next year when we have a true OC and we spend some money in FA and have another draft under our belt. I think the future is looking bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a bold statement. The quarterback is the most important position in professional sports. If Mac isn't a true franchise quarterback then it's a major problem because the team isn't good enough otherwise to make up for it.

And how confident are you that Belichick will completely scrap his plans for the offensive hierarchy after merely one season?

The pro bowl mention is a little disingenuous too imo.

Not many NFL teams have what you'd call "a true franchise quarterback" and NO quarterback is good enough to transcend the shoddy system cobbled together by Patricia, let alone a second-year player still learning the pro game. And if BB doesn't overhaul the offensive staff this coming offseason he needs to bid adieu.

Look at Mac's Pro Bowl appearance this way: he was good enough as a rookie to merit alternate status. That's significant.

And that's the issue. You don't want to hear that maybe it's not all Mac, and that's cool. It's fine to like Zappe and no one says you have to love what's going on. That's the whole point of a forum, people are certainly entitled to feel however they want.

I'm just saying that the reason a majority of people are still supporting Mac is because right now, he's the quarterback. But if Belichick decides a change is needed, then obviously we'll be on board with that.
"But if Belichick decides a change is needed, then obviously we'll be on board with that."

Say what? Let me get this straight:

1. Mac isn't playing well. We all acknowledge that.
2. It's not Mac's fault though. It's the coaches fault.
3. So don't criticize Mac because Bill picked him to be the starter.
4. But Bill picked his coaches.
5. Now, if Bill decides to switch Mac, we can now support the new guy.
6. But why would Bill decide to pick a new QB if it was the coaches fault?
7. Don't criticize the new guy because Bill picked him.

I get that you're getting flooded by DMs about posters criticizing Mac for his poor play, but if this is the logic that you want every poster to abide by, just rename the site "We support whatever Bill decides.com"

You know what, Mac really isn't the problem though. 100% of the issues are because of Bill's decisions!!! Now what?

Edit: I see from later posts that you're talking about how the supposed "Mac crew" views things, which makes sense since they're all IBBWT disciples. I'm sure they're in shock.

Last edited:
"But if Belichick decides a change is needed, then obviously we'll be on board with that."

Say what? Let me get this straight:

1. Mac isn't playing well. We all acknowledge that.
2. It's not Mac's fault though. It's the coaches fault.
3. So don't criticize Mac because Bill picked him to be the starter.
4. But Bill picked his coaches.
5. Now, if Bill decides to switch Mac, we can now support the new guy.
6. But why would Bill decide to pick a new QB if it was the coaches fault?
7. Don't criticize the new guy because Bill picked him.

I get that you're getting flooded by DMs about posters criticizing Mac for his poor play, but if this is the logic that you want every poster to abide by, just rename the site "We support whatever Bill decides.com"

You know what, Mac really isn't the problem though. 100% of the issues are because of Bill's decisions!!! Now what?
Now it's time for Bill to get his head out of his ass.

We go play this Saturday and we shock the world and come out with a win!!!!!!!!! Now that's a great Christmas gift!!!!!!!

Do I think we have enough talent to win a SB now, no. We probably have the least amount of talent in the division. We're in every game though because we have the GOAT as a head coach and that masks a lot of deficiencies. We literally should be 9-5 now. That's not too bad and that's with an inept offense. Let's see next year when we have a true OC and we spend some money in FA and have another draft under our belt. I think the future is looking bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Having the least amount of talent in the division is a disheartening notion. Not saying you're wrong but it's hard to just fall back on IBWT. Although I certainly do not agree with all of his decisions, I have complete confidence in BB's understanding of the game and his in-game situational awareness. But the fact of the matter is he's been on the sideline for their 8-11 record in their last 19 games and he put Patricia and Judge in charge of his second year franchise quarterback and offense which has turned out to be a highly egregious mistake. And I'm concerned he'll be too stubborn to alter the course. I'll ask again... how confident are you that Belichick is going to scrap his plans for the offense after merely one (disastrous) season?

Not many NFL teams have what you'd call "a true franchise quarterback"
A quick count gives me 12: BUF, CIN, BAL, CLE, JAX, KAN, LAC, PHI, DAL, GNB, CHI, TAM

Having the least amount of talent in the division is a disheartening notion. Not saying you're wrong but it's hard to just fall back on IBWT. Although I certainly do not agree with all of his decisions, I have complete confidence in BB's understanding of the game and his in-game situational awareness. But the fact of the matter is he's been on the sideline for their 8-11 record in their last 19 games and he put Patricia and Judge in charge of his second year franchise quarterback and offense which has turned out to be a highly egregious mistake. And I'm concerned he'll be too stubborn to alter the course. I'll ask again... how confident are you that Belichick is going to scrap his plans for the offense after merely one (disastrous) season?

A quick count gives me 12: BUF, CIN, BAL, CLE, JAX, KAN, LAC, PHI, DAL, GNB, CHI, TAM

Chicago still is TBD, though Fields probably fits that category. But 12 of 32 is a decided minority.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
I'll ask again... how confident are you that Belichick is going to scrap his plans for the offense after merely one (disastrous) season?
I would say if it doesn't improve, and we all don't expect significant improvement, there will be a different OC next year.

We go play this Saturday and we shock the world and come out with a win!!!!!!!!! Now that's a great Christmas gift!!!!!!!
It mean nothing this offense can’t win a playoff game with the current construction and execution of the passing game.

You can probably add MIA, DET & MIN.

Chicago still is TBD, though Fields probably fits that category. But 12 of 32 is a decided minority.
Fields looks legit now. He desperately needs some talent around him though.

I didn't include Tua on that list but he currently leads the NFL in TD% and passer rating so he's getting real close. He would make for half of all AFC teams, which is a lot, and does not put the Patriots in an advantageous position. Mac needs to significantly improve for the Patriots to be truly relevant in the conference again. Or Mac's replacement.

You can probably add MIA, DET & MIN.
See above on Tua. I'm not ready to call Goff a franchise quarterback for DET... let's see what he does next season. I love Justin Jefferson but there's not much else I truly admire about MIN (although Cousins isn't nearly as bad as some people would have you believe).

If you watch the combine Bailey had no issues getting the ball 60 yds down the field so this weak arm theory doesn’t add up.

Fields looks legit now. He desperately needs some talent around him though.

I didn't include Tua on that list but he currently leads the NFL in TD% and passer rating so he's getting real close. He would make for half of all AFC teams, which is a lot, and does not put the Patriots in an advantageous position. Mac needs to significantly improve for the Patriots to be truly relevant in the conference again. Or Mac's replacement.

See above on Tua. I'm not ready to call Goff a franchise quarterback for DET... let's see what he does next season. I love Justin Jefferson but there's not much else I truly admire about MIN (although Cousins isn't nearly as bad as some people would have you believe).
Cousins has been clutch this season. That team needs to go 100% in on D & OL next season.

Tua has also been clutch and went toe to toe with Allen. That's good enough for me.

Goff is who knows. Hope they make the playoffs.

That's a whole lot of writing just to say "Please don't blame the coaching staff for sucking, and please ignore last season when the coaching didn't suck".
This is a thread about reports on Mac. His strengths/weaknesses etc

What I wrote is relevant bc there are issues that still plague him today that have nothing to do with Patricia. Like his mechanics, lack of ability to deal with certain pressure, being moved off his spot etc. Fast forward and he's working with House, specifically release point. Taking some bad sacks and has been one of the worst QB's while pressured.

You could blame someone else or recognize its been a problem even when he had an all world OL at Bama.

This year isn't excused away bc of poor circumstance(s). Yes he's the least of the big issues but he hasn't play well at all. Things aren't always going to be perfect and he didn't handle adversity well at all. We saw a tiny bit of pouty Mac last year and he didn't hold back this year. We know he can't handle a bad or changing OL. We know he needs scheme catered to him. All that matters when that second contract rolls around and more importantly in the short term - next year.

Also it's good to know exactly what you have rather then just point fingers elsewhere. It matters and you want to know exactly what kind of QB you have.

Josh Allen, Justin Herbert have had banged up OL, players who regressed on there. "Scheme" hasn't always been good this year or last in Herbert's case but the make it work and play well. Guys like Jimmy, Cousins, Carr, Mac need all the help they can get. I get the first few are freaks but we had plenty of people here that thought Mac could be a legit top 10 QB.

It's funny that nobody was mentioning his weaknesses last season when he made the pro bowl and led this injury depleted team to the playoffs.

Next year, when there is a new OC, we'll see his improvement. Mac is the least of our concerns on offense.
Let's put that Pro Bowl to bed, he ONLY made it as an Alternate.

This is a thread about reports on Mac. His strengths/weaknesses etc

You tried turning into a thread patting yourself on the back, and you did it by ignoring the reality of his first season and the impact of ****ty coaching, and surrounding personnel issues this year. And before you try flipping this around onto me, take a moment to remember that I've never been a huge Jones supporter, that I've said he's got to get his arm stronger if he's to have any chance at becoming a legit QB, and that such has been the case since last year. Jones is not Brady. The question has always been whether or not he can become good enough to function as a Brady-lite sort of QB, and the team effectively killed off at least a year of the kid's development by changing the offensive system from one that was suited to his strengths to one that was just about the worst they could have chosen for both the QB and the offense in general.

I've got no dog in this fight other than wanting the team to be good. If Jones is not going to be good enough to get the team into the position of being a consistent SB contender, I'm more than fine with moving on from him: I'm hopeful it will happen. But this dumpster fire that has been this year has prevented us from getting any real clarity on that, and the given "draft scouting report" was suspect when written and is even worse when applied against the Jones at this point in this season.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back