PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Draft scouting report weaknesses ring true

You're talking about one play. I'm talking about overall. His eyes go where the play tells him to go.
Score as many points as you can in 60 minutes.

Highfiving for a FG when you need a TD is ridiculous but thats where we are.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
Good teams win post season games.

Good teams beat Buffalo. Good NE QBs throw more than 3 passes all night.
They were a good team last year. The problem was, Buffalo was and is now a great team - which sucks to have to even type out, but that's now our reality. They were completely overmatched. It is what it is.

You're talking about one play. I'm talking about overall. His eyes go where the play tells him to go.
Vilma said - Dont rely on Mac Jones to score.

The honest truth.

Score as many points as you can in 60 minutes.

Highfiving for a FG when you need a TD is ridiculous but thats where we are.
100% agree. I hate it, but like you said, that's - unfortunately - where we are.

Vilma said - Dont rely on Mac Jones to score.

The honest truth.
LOL, I wouldn't make Vilma the one to make your point for you. Terrible analyst. Terrible crew. Bare minimum cameras, etc. But when you're where we are, it is what it is. It sucks.

Again, we don't know the context behind the plays. And I pointed out a week ago on the intentional grounding penalty that the stills don't tell the whole story, and we've gotten insight on that from Mac and the coaches. His eyes go where the play tells him to go and where it's designed. And if you're facing one direction, turning back and squaring up in the complete other direction isn't as easy as turning and throwing, especially given the distance and the time. Mac was hit at 2.26 on that play. The tackles were on the ground at 1.25. It is what it is.

Contextual detail in an intricately structured game like pro football is essential to understanding what's happening when first glance might suggest something entirely different. And it's so frequently glossed over/dismissed by fans who don't know any better, don't care to, then run with faulty assumptions. My rule of thumb watching NFL games: BE AWARE OF WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW, because what you BELIEVE you see isn't always the case.

The context is convert a 3rd down. Score a TD.

Yeah, never mind those pesky details re. what goes into making that happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In my opinion, the two main problems are 1) Offensive coordinator and 2) O-line. Has Mac been great, no, but we saw that he could be productive and lead us to the playoffs last year with an injury riddled team late in the year and not great weapons on the outside.

I'm not sure how mentioning the pro bowl is disingenuous. I'm just stating that he made it last year.

Do I think we have enough talent to win a SB now, no. We probably have the least amount of talent in the division. We're in every game though because we have the GOAT as a head coach and that masks a lot of deficiencies. We literally should be 9-5 now. That's not too bad and that's with an inept offense. Let's see next year when we have a true OC and we spend some money in FA and have another draft under our belt. I think the future is looking bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the Pro Bowl being disingenuous thing is a false narrative by the anti-Jones crowd. Yes, he was alternate chosen after several QBs dropped out. That is why if you were arguing that Jones was a top QB last year, it would be disingenuous. But that isn't what you and others are arguing when they bring this up. You are arguing that we was good enough last year to even be selected as an alternate. If he sucked as much as many of the anti-Mac crowd try to say he was, he would never be considered even as an alternate.

They do the same thing with the Jacksonville game. They want to totally dismiss that game as not counting so they can argue that Jones was awful the final five games of the season last year although the Jacksonville game was in the last five games last year and he was great in that game.

LOL, I wouldn't make Vilma the one to make your point for you. Terrible analyst. Terrible crew. Bare minimum cameras, etc. But when you're where we are, it is what it is. It sucks.
Well when you add that the Pats are one of the worst redzone offenses and that the guy passing the ball has 7 TDs, Vilma deserves the benefit of doubt.

Well when you add that the Pats are one of the worst redzone offenses and that the guy passing the ball has 7 TDs, Vilma deserves the benefit of doubt.
He played for the Jets. He gets ZERO benefit of the doubt. :cool:

100% agree. I hate it, but like you said, that's - unfortunately - where we are.
There is a Brady Forum.

What do you think about a MacFans Forum?

There is a Brady Forum.

What do you think about a MacFans Forum?
Now you're just being ridiculous. There's a Brady forum because he's the greatest QB of all time and spent 20+ years here, but I didn't want to have to sift through Bucs news in the main forum for those who wanted to keep an eye on how things were going. Once he retires - for real - I'll close that forum and any relevant news can go in here.

We don't have a Garoppolo forum so if Mac goes, we won't have one for him either ;)

So did Bryan Cox, Phifer, Danny Woodhead
Lol, I feel like this is sort of what you're doing now :p
Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

Last edited:
Stop going after the QB. That just gives a false excuse to the coaching staff. Pin the blame where it belongs, which is directly on the coaching and GM.

Did you not see the words "play-calling" in my post?

I went back and all-capped those same words to make it easier for you next time, you're welcome.

By the way, stating that BOTH Corky AND Phatt Matt Suck is Not a mutually-exclusive action.

Did you not see the words "play-calling" in my post?

I went back and all-capped those same words to make it easier for you next time, you're welcome.

By the way, stating that BOTH Corky AND Phatt Matt Suck is Not a mutually-exclusive action.

"Bob killed 42 people."

"Well, sure, but did you see Tom jaywalk that one time?"

Stop going after the QB. That just gives a false excuse to the coaching staff. Pin the blame where it belongs, which is directly on the coaching and GM.

When the Pats win it is because of the players, when the Pats lose it is all because of the coaching and GM. Unless you agree the 6 SBs were all about the coaching and GM?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back