PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Draft scouting report weaknesses ring true

The scouting report here says he has excellent anticipation. That’s not the problem I see. The problem is that he blanks out half the field when pressured.

There are drills to help with that. Brady did a gazillion pocket presence drills. Some of those drills require the QB to find receivers under pressure.

Last edited:
This sort of needs to be said, because I think people are missing the point of this current division.

The "Mac crew" is the "Mac crew" because Mac is currently the starter. The "Mac crew" will become the "Zappe crew" once Zappe's the starter due to something other than an injury.

If Zappe's the starter because Bill made him the starter, those people you're talking about will become the "Zappe crew". And that will be the train we'll all ride until the next guy - if there is one.

That's what you're supposed to do. Everything won't be fantastic all the time, and sometimes patience is needed because second-year players do deserve to get more leeway and patience than 5 or 10-year veterans. Obviously, this season is an anomaly because of all the other contributing factors. But if/when Bill makes the switch, those people will jump on board. He hasn't done that yet, and clearly, he has his reasons.

So should a change be made, we'll ride that train until Zappe (hopefully) becomes the guy, or we're forced to have to move on to someone else.
Perhaps some people here will take heed in your words and admit that its time for a new QB.

I want the Pats to win and dont care who the QB is as long as he plays good enough.

Yep; if this team had just replacement-level play-calling & quarterbacking, they would be 10-4 right now with some cushion heading into these 3 final games...

It's pretty simple. Bill sees both players in practice every day. Obviously, he and the coaches know more than we do. They draw up the plays. They know what's supposed to happen and see the film with what he does.

I mean, honestly, if Mac was screwing up as royally and missing guys - Sunday aside - as often as so many people like to believe he is, do you honestly believe he'd still be in there? Not a chance. He'd be on the bench, especially if he's telling off Patricia on television and then blowing reads left and right.

Coaches in the NFL, Patricia and Judge included, get fired every day when a player doesn't do what they're asked. If that was happening, Mac would have been yanked a long time ago. They're not taking the fall for him and they'd start Zappe in a second if that was the case, I can absolutely promise you that.

That aside, my response was in regard to the claim that there's a "Mac crew" that is just ignoring his mistakes and that we somehow won't change our minds. I simply pointed out that most of us on this supposed "Mac crew" are letting the kid - who is a second-year player - try and work out the kinks and improve. You can't just kick a second-year player to the curb without letting him deal with adversity. Or at least historically, that's been a bad move unless the player has truly shown he can't do it. Same thing with the team in general. Stuff happens. We see it every year.

Yes, I've already broken down the numbers, posted them, and pointed out that it's the worst game of his career. That can't continue. I've mentioned this multiple times.

Zappe's under contract for three more years after this. They're not in any rush to make a decision because they've got plenty of time there. They have three games left, and I'm sure by then, we'll have a sense of how they'll approach things heading into next year. I'm just patient enough to let it play out.

If Mac finishes poorly, Zappe's going to have the same opportunity to get stronger this offseason that Mac had and it could set up an interesting camp. But I'm not going to give up on the kid unless he reaches a point where there's no longer anything positive on film to think he can do the job.

But this is what we're up against. We had an elite QB. We don't have that now. I've had to lower my own expectations, and it is what it is. So we're going to have to try and win with a guy who can make some throws and not turn it over. It sucks, but that's what we have and that's what we're in for unless our own Mahomes or Josh Allen drops into our laps. But you and I could age 10 years before that happens again. ;)
You cant just pull Jones that easy.

He was too high a draft pick and once you relieve him of his duties, its basically the beginning of the end for Jones. BB had the exact same problem with Drew Bledsoe.

He was too high a draft pick and once you relieve him of his duties, its basically the beginning of the end for Jones. BB had the exact same problem with Drew Bledsoe.

No, BB plays whoever gives the team its best chance to win. When Brady was ready he took the starting job. It wasn't because Drew got injured, that just forced the matter earlier than it otherwise would've happened. If being a high draft pick superseded all as you suggest, Bledsoe would have been reinstated once he recovered.

Put a lid on it 'til next training camp then see what happens.

Really?

So the 2001 Rams were a weak team? Makes no sense since they were 14 point favorites to beat NE in SB36.

Baltimore is always a tough out. Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Kansas City, Indianapolis were led by HOF QBs.

Mac Jones racked up the points vs bottom feeder teams last season and was crowned the Guy.
Yeah, but you can't have it both ways, and you and I both know that people have used that argument against us for decades, and it's just ridiculous. You play who is on the schedule. And people always discredit the quality wins against all the lower-level teams we've beaten. It's an annoyingly bad argument.

That was a different situation. Drew was an almost 10-year veteran with an established resume, albeit we all knew his shortcomings but up until that point, no one else had proven to be a better alternative. He also had a massive contract, which complicated that situation and his relationship with the owner is what made that one such a tense decision. Mac's a second-year player and the coaching staff had already seen three quality outings and two quality starts from a first-year player behind him. If Mac was messing up as badly as people said he was, they absolutely would have sat him down.

Yeah, but you can't have it both ways, and you and I both know that people have used that argument against us for decades, and it's just ridiculous. You play who is on the schedule. And people always discredit the quality wins against all the lower-level teams we've beaten. It's an annoyingly bad argument.
Go look at the scores of the 2 Jets, Jax and Cleveland games last season.

Bad teams have bad win/loss records.

None of the Pats playoff wins were vs weak teams with bad records or they would not be there.

Every week posters here find pictures of NE WRs or TEs that are open.

Most recently vs the Raiders, Meyers standing before the goal line all by himself for a walk in TD. Instead Jones threw the check down for a 5 yard loss.

You can deny it all you want but Judon called Mac out for doing almost nothing in the Buffalo win last season. Trent Brown just cast his vote for a new QB next season. Jon Vilma said "Dont count on Mac Jones to score" during the NE vs LV broadcast. The truth is getting out.

If this is Patsfans.Com and not Macfans.Com you will welcome and advocate for a change at QB because this guy isnt cutting it.
Again, we don't know the context behind the plays. And I pointed out a week ago on the intentional grounding penalty that the stills don't tell the whole story, and we've gotten insight on that from Mac and the coaches. His eyes go where the play tells him to go and where it's designed. And if you're facing one direction, turning back and squaring up in the complete other direction isn't as easy as turning and throwing, especially given the distance and the time. Mac was hit at 2.26 on that play. The tackles were on the ground at 1.25. It is what it is.

Go look at the scores of the 2 Jets, Jax and Cleveland games last season.

Bad teams have bad win/loss records.

None of the Pats playoff wins were vs weak teams with bad records or they would not be there.
Good teams are supposed to beat up on bad teams. That's what happened last year. Look at the scores in several of those games. They went over 40 points three times and hit 50+ twice.

That was a different situation. Drew was an almost 10-year veteran with an established resume, albeit we all knew his shortcomings but up until that point, no one else had proven to be a better alternative. He also had a massive contract, which complicated that situation and his relationship with the owner is what made that one such a tense decision. Mac's a second-year player and the coaching staff had already seen three quality outings and two quality starts from a first-year player behind him. If Mac was messing up as badly as people said he was, they absolutely would have sat him down.
Disagree

Sitting Jones basically concedes that he isnt an NFL caliber starting QB. BB kept Harry around for 4 years rather than just accept that he was a terrible pick and a bust.

LOL, 100% agree, and you're not going to get any argument from me. I'm referring to the media pundits who discredit our wins based on who they beat along the way.

Good teams are supposed to beat up on bad teams. That's what happened last year. Look at the scores in several of those games. They went over 40 points three times and hit 50+ twice.
Good team beat good teams.

Disagree

Sitting Jones basically concedes that he isnt an NFL caliber starting QB. BB kept Harry around for 4 years rather than just accept that he was a terrible pick and a bust.
Why? If he's missing reads and throwing the ball to the wrong people week in and week out, do you honestly believe Belichick would leave him in there just be cause he's a first-round pick? Belichick hates error-repeaters and he hates losing. If he's doing it now and hasn't stopped doing it, he'd absolutely be on the bench.

Again, we don't know the context behind the plays. And I pointed out a week ago on the intentional grounding penalty that the stills don't tell the whole story, and we've gotten insight on that from Mac and the coaches. His eyes go where the play tells him to go and where it's designed. And if you're facing one direction, turning back and squaring up in the complete other direction isn't as easy as turning and throwing, especially given the distance and the time. Mac was hit at 2.26 on that play. The tackles were on the ground at 1.25. It is what it is.
The context is convert a 3rd down. Score a TD.

The context is convert a 3rd down. Score a TD.
You're talking about one play. I'm talking about overall. His eyes go where the play tells him to go.

Why? If he's missing reads and throwing the ball to the wrong people week in and week out, do you honestly believe Belichick would leave him in there just be cause he's a first-round pick? Belichick hates error-repeaters and he hates losing. If he's doing it now and hasn't stopped doing it, he'd absolutely be on the bench.
Dont agree.

Jones gets preferential treatment because of where he was picked and the position that he plays. You cant just remove him like Cole Strange for playing terrible and then plug him back in the next week.

True. But good teams are supposed to beat up on bad teams. They did that last year.
Good teams win post season games.

Good teams beat Buffalo. Good NE QBs throw more than 3 passes all night.

Dont agree.

Jones gets preferential treatment because of where he was picked and the position that he plays. You cant just remove him like Cole Strange for playing terrible and then plug him back in the next week.
I'd agree with you if this was week 6. It's Week 16. There's too much at stake and truthfully, if he was screwing up that royally every single week, not only would the coaching staff have an issue with him, his teammates would as well.

I'm sort of surprised you truly believe if Jones was screwing up that badly every single week that you assume Belichick would just leave him in there, especially after seeing Zappe, just because of "preferential treatment". They'd absolutely move on because there's a previous precedent of that move being the right one. Kraft would 100% sign off on it. He'd let Bill trade Mac and recoup a high pick and he'd be fine winning football games.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back