PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Draft scouting report weaknesses ring true

It's funny that nobody was mentioning his weaknesses last season when he made the pro bowl and led this injury depleted team to the playoffs.

Next year, when there is a new OC, we'll see his improvement. Mac is the least of our concerns on offense.
So no one should ever mention evolving problems because he had several good games his rookie year? His problems this year are real, not made up. Pointing them out does not make anyone a “bad fan”

Denying there is a problem does not make the situation disappear.

So no one should ever mention evolving problems because he had several good games his rookie year? His problems this year are real, not made up. Pointing them out does not make anyone a “bad fan”

Do you even watch New England games? You only show up on here when they are losing, so don't get an attitude with me because I stated that he made the pro bowl last year. I didn't call you or anyone out, was just making a statement. If you want to say anything further to me, PM me and I'll be happy to respond so we don't bore the fans on here.

How do coach arm strength?

How do you coach Mac to be an anticipatory passer?

You cant because either a QB has it or he doesnt. Bledsoe was a reactionary passer and Jones is a reactionary passer. Just like Jones big pass play vs the Raiders to Meyers all alone.

How many times have you heard the announcer say that Mac had the ball enroute in the air before the receiver completed his route? Last night Baker Mayfield was burning in passes to his receivers with DBs 1 yard away which is basically an arms length.

The great thing is you don't need to coach an anticipatory passer like Mac Jones to be an anticipatory passer. Did you read the strengths of Jones in the report?

• Very confident making placement throws.
  • Accuracy to prevent receivers from having to break stride.
That is anticipatory passing.

The great thing is you don't need to coach an anticipatory passer like Mac Jones to be an anticipatory passer. Did you read the strengths of Jones in the report?

• Very confident making placement throws.
  • Accuracy to prevent receivers from having to break stride.
That is anticipatory passing.
Hilarious

Watch him.

The Mac crew cares more about Mac as the NE starter than the Patriots winning. They are fearful of Zappe because he could prove them all wrong. So, all you see is Remember Chicago. Mac can have 10 Baley Zappe Chicago games but it's all good because he is the GUY.

They blame Zappe for Chicago and they blame Patricia, OL, WRs when Mac does not win. Mac does not have Justin Jefferson. Another favorite excuse is that Mac is forced to run a harder offense to execute than Zappe. Zappe only wins because he has it easier than Jones.

It's sad that the Mac crew does not care about exhausting every possible option to win this season. The Pat's have a real good team too.

The Mac crew cares more about Mac as the NE starter than the Patriots winning. They are fearful of Zappe because he could prove them all wrong. So, all you see is Remember Chicago. Mac can have 10 Baley Zappe Chicago games but it's all good because he is the GUY.

They blame Zappe for Chicago and they blame Patricia, OL, WRs when Mac does not win. Mac does not have Justin Jefferson. Another favorite excuse is that Mac is forced to run a harder offense to execute than Zappe. Zappe only wins because he has it easier than Jones.

It's sad that the Mac crew does not care about exhausting every possible option to win this season. The Pat's have a real good team too.

I personally have no allegiance to Mac, other than you hate to see the 15th pick wasted.

If someone else was a better QB for the Pats I’d be all for it.

Challenge is…Zappe is so short. He could have the arm of Mike Vick and still not be tall enough to be a full-time starter in the NFL.

(Edit….he is 6 feet and about a third of an inch… the only good comp I found was Brees…not a bad aspiration. Makes me wonder how brees did not have more batted balls)

Last edited:
How do coach arm strength? How do you coach Mac to be an anticipatory passer?

You work with a coach who teaches those things.

ratio3x2_1800.jpg

This sort of needs to be said, because I think people are missing the point of this current division.

The "Mac crew" is the "Mac crew" because Mac is currently the starter. The "Mac crew" will become the "Zappe crew" once Zappe's the starter due to something other than an injury.

If Zappe's the starter because Bill made him the starter, those people you're talking about will become the "Zappe crew". And that will be the train we'll all ride until the next guy - if there is one.

That's what you're supposed to do. Everything won't be fantastic all the time, and sometimes patience is needed because second-year players do deserve to get more leeway and patience than 5 or 10-year veterans. Obviously, this season is an anomaly because of all the other contributing factors. But if/when Bill makes the switch, those people will jump on board. He hasn't done that yet, and clearly, he has his reasons.

So should a change be made, we'll ride that train until Zappe (hopefully) becomes the guy, or we're forced to have to move on to someone else.

To his detriment Mac Jones will have to win a championship or two to have this stop hurting his reputation. Fans and fellow players.

e267928c-6850-4ab1-8e82-94aa7faee76c_text.gif

This sort of needs to be said, because I think people are missing the point of this current division.

The "Mac crew" is the "Mac crew" because Mac is currently the starter. The "Mac crew" will become the "Zappe crew" once Zappe's the starter due to something other than an injury.

If Zappe's the starter because Bill made him the starter, those people you're talking about will become the "Zappe crew". And that will be the train we'll all ride until the next guy - if there is one.

That's what you're supposed to do. Everything won't be fantastic all the time, and sometimes patience is needed because second-year players do deserve to get more leeway and patience than 5 or 10-year veterans. Obviously, this season is an anomaly because of all the other contributing factors. But if/when Bill makes the switch, those people will jump on board. He hasn't done that yet, and clearly, he has his reasons.

So should a change be made, we'll ride that train until Zappe (hopefully) becomes the guy, or we're forced to have to move on to someone else.

Very true. This is football, not "politics" or populism, but for some people here it boils down to just that. Not everything has to become a matter of tribal affiliation pitting player A against player B, which is downright bewildering among folks supposedly rooting for the same team.

The continual trashing/scapegoating of Mac Jones on this site is pointless and embarrassing. Pointless because coaches have determined he's the best option to win games with until they decide otherwise. Embarrassing because much of the excessive criticism here exposes fundamental deficits in football knowledge. Mac certainly has played poorly this season but the lion's share of blame for that lies with coaching and who/what he's been surrounded with.

You're essentially saying that if you do not support the (bad) decisions of the NEP then you are bad fan. That's ridiculous.
No, I'm saying you try and be fair and support the guys who are out there even when times aren't great. Mac's a 2nd year player who hasn't even finished his second season. He's not Marcus Mariota or Matt Ryan. It's a different situation.

Not everything has to become a matter of tribal affiliation, which is downright bewildering among folks supposedly rooting for the same team.

Mac certainly has played poorly this season but the lion's share of blame for that lies with coaching and who/what he's been surrounded with.

"Not everything has to become a matter of tribal affiliation but like bro all the blame is on the coaches".

You're essentially saying that if you do not support the (bad) decisions of the NEP then you are bad fan. That's ridiculous.
Just like I'm not going to bail on Zappe if he goes through a stretch where he struggles. If you give up on guys, especially rookies or second-year players, you end up losing more than you win. I don't know what the statistics are there, but based on some of the guys we've seen around the league, a little patience is needed.

"Not everything has to become a matter of tribal affiliation but like bro all the blame is on the coaches".

How is acknowledging the coaching issue "tribal affiliation"?

Just like I'm not going to bail on Zappe if he goes through a stretch where he struggles. If you give up on guys, especially rookies or second-year players, you end up losing more than you win. I don't know what the statistics are there, but based on some of the guys we've seen around the league, a little patience is needed.
But....this is a message board where we discuss these types of things, right? We don't all have to agree but just because one person thinks a players stinks and another has unbridled optimism that surpasses all rational thinking and reasonableness, it does not mean that both of these people want the team to win. It means they have two different opinions and they are discussing it on a message board which seems....appropriate?

And that's the issue. You don't want to hear that maybe it's not all Mac, and that's cool. It's fine to like Zappe and no one says you have to love what's going on. That's the whole point of a forum, people are certainly entitled to feel however they want.

I'm just saying that the reason a majority of people are still supporting Mac is because right now, he's the quarterback. But if Belichick decides a change is needed, then obviously we'll be on board with that.

Essentially, you are both trying to shut down discussion on Mac in the guise of not being at team player which is pretty disingenuous.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back