PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
For crying out loud give this kid a break. As Parcell's used to say; "Do not put him in the hall of fame just yet"

The "Mac is blowing away his teammates is a bull **** 3rd hand unsubstantiated comment made in May before he has put on pads"...even if true its meaningless

Secondly lets stop the Brady comparisons in any way and in any fashion. He will not be Brady...ever ever ever. Brady is a once in a generational QB.

Thirdly, its ridiculously early to think about Nac starting this year.

Cam is going to be the starting QB this year barring injury.
It’s tough to ever predict what will happen. You can’t definitively say Mac will or WON’T be a generational talent. Let’s look at Rodgers, when he was drafted, Brett Favre was still an elite NFL QB, and Rodgers is now considered by most, a better QB than Favre was. All Favre did was hold the record for most TD passes and Passing Yards when he retired. His last game for the Packers was an NFCCG OT loss.

So you never know what can happen in any given situation with any rookie QB. Rodgers slid further in the draft than Jones, and sat for 3 seasons before he became a starter in the NFL in his 4th year as a 25 year old. Turned out to be a perfect situation for him. He may go down as one of the top 5 QBs of all time.

But nobody was talking about him as anything special, even during his first 3 seasons. Think about if that was the Patriots and in the infancy of Patsfans. “Rodgers sucks, he can’t even beat out old man Favre”, would be uttered by many, most likely captain stone or someone of his negative ilk.

It’s all about situations. Brady probably would’ve beaten out Drew Bledsoe eventually, maybe in 2002 or 2003, but Mo Lewis starting the ball rolling early for Tom Brady’s meteoric rise.

Secondly lets stop the Brady comparisons in any way and in any fashion. He will not be Brady...ever ever ever. Brady is a once in a generational QB.
I don't get this.

We can't say we think Jones has quick decision making and accuracy, things that remind us of Brady, rather than let's say, Bledsoe?

I also don't think he'll be Brady, I'm fine with the Pennington/Dalton/Carr/Rivers/Brees comps, but then again I never thought Brady would become Brady either.

I've got Brady up on a pedestal too, maybe not as high a pedestal as some here on patsfans.

I also realize it took Tom some time to get onto that pedestal, and not many saw him having the potential he eventually displayed.

I remember when Edelman starting coming out and in a playoff game he looked great, a lot of guys said he's Welker's replacement and got hammered for saying that. Now a lot of people think Edeleman was better than Welker especially in the clutch, so never say never.

I still don't see any reason for any comparison between Jones and Brady. It would be great if there turned out to be one in the future though.

shrug_n.gif

I agree, but the O.P. basically posted a "You know who else got this kind of hype.... Brady" thing, which is harmless, though silly and wildly premature (right, Studfeld?). Someone else then tossed in Stidham as a hype recipient, in an apparent effort to slow down that hype train. For some insane reason, that was considered to be sufficient reason to start with the Brady denigration.

Brady in 2001 was human, he was a 21 year old = "Brady denigration"

But Brady fanboys don't exist....

Bigfoot Sasquatch GIF by MOODMAN

I still don't see any reason for any comparison between Jones and Brady. It would be great if there turned out to be one in the future though.
They were both rookies at one point, neither was a great athlete other than motor control, they both had pinpoint accuracy and the ability to lead receivers from the pocket. There's nothing wrong with comparing Mac to any NFL prospect before their rookie season, that's all anyone has done as far as I can tell.

The delusional Brady zealots are suggesting Tom in 2001 was the same as Tom in 2007 or 2020... that he was born that way. It's laughable fan nonsense... and if you disagree then you "hate Tom."

The rest of us are born, mature, get taller and wiser, but Tom came out of the sack as the GOAT... hopefully Mac Jones will be the next water walking messiah... sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Mac Jones turns 23 before this season starts, which is a significant factor, he's not 20 or 21. He started 1.5 seasons for the best college program, and won a national championship game. He's seen and done a lot, and it's little wonder he processes things quickly.

Brady was the same age his rookie season and he sat a full year, but things have changed and if Jones is ready he could start W1. He's gonna have to really shine in camp and preseason to win the job that fast, but it's definitely possible. It will be all about how well & quickly he recognizes defenses, cause unless he excels at that, BB won't want to risk the turnovers in the early part of the season. Given how emphatic BB has been about Cam owning the job right now, it's likely that Cam starts the season. I wish the bye were week 5 instead of 14 this year.

Mac Jones turns 23 before this season starts, which is a significant factor, he's not 20 or 21. He started 1.5 seasons for the best college program, and won a national championship game. He's seen and done a lot, and it's little wonder he processes things quickly.

Brady was the same age his rookie season and he sat a full year, but things have changed and if Jones is ready he could start W1. He's gonna have to really shine in camp and preseason to win the job that fast, but it's definitely possible. It will be all about how well & quickly he recognizes defenses, cause unless he excels at that, BB won't want to risk the turnovers in the early part of the season. Given how emphatic BB has been about Cam owning the job right now, it's likely that Cam starts the season. I wish the bye were week 5 instead of 14 this year.

Well, its not like Cam excels at that either, the bar is low for Mac. Cam is just lucky White has been extended so he can drop him some hints who the Mike is before the snap :whistle:

Cam for himself has to show in Camp that he can throw an accurate pass 10 yards down the field (no low balls, no hospital balls like usually), perhaps not fumbling the ball while running around with it, etc....

Not saying Mac should start, but if Cam can't improve the essential part of QBing (throwing a ****ing pass) Mac will take over earlier rather than later...because you know Mac can actually throw quite an accurate pass, we'll see quite soon how ready he truly is for the NFL (still a lot to learn for him).

They were both rookies at one point, neither was a great athlete other than motor control, they both had pinpoint accuracy and the ability to lead receivers from the pocket. There's nothing wrong with comparing Mac to any NFL prospect before their rookie season, that's all anyone has done as far as I can tell.

The delusional Brady zealots are suggesting Tom in 2001 was the same as Tom in 2007 or 2020... that he was born that way. It's laughable fan nonsense... and if you disagree then you "hate Tom."

The rest of us are born, mature, get taller and wiser, but Tom came out of the sack as the GOAT... hopefully Mac Jones will be the next water walking messiah... sounds reasonable.
Stawman making up delusional fan boys again. Give it up. Zero people have said what you constantly complain about.

There's a huge risk in starting a rookie in week 1. Not the least of which, you can shatter his confidence before he ever gets a chance to be ready.

I'd rather sit through 6 weeks of Cam Newton, even if it's a bad Cam Newton, to make sure that Mac Jones is put in the best position when the Patriots eventually give him the keys to the kingdom.

Now if Cam Newton has a bounce back season, and BB believes that's the case or else he wouldn't resign him, then Mac Jones will have the luxury of learning a year before he takes over.

There's no rush. Yes Cam was terrible last season, but terrible Cam still got us to 7-9. Even a back to 85% of himself Cam will give you average NFL starter minutes. With the way this roster is stacked, an 85% back to himself Cam Newton should result in a playoff season.

I don't get this.

We can't say we think Jones has quick decision making and accuracy, things that remind us of Brady, rather than let's say, Bledsoe?

I also don't think he'll be Brady, I'm fine with the Pennington/Dalton/Carr/Rivers/Brees comps, but then again I never thought Brady would become Brady either.

I've got Brady up on a pedestal too, maybe not as high a pedestal as some here on patsfans.

I also realize it took Tom some time to get onto that pedestal, and not many saw him having the potential he eventually displayed.
Brady did things even early in his career that other QB's did not do early in their career. He always had something magical, people just want to point to stats. The entire concept of the offense changed when Brady became the starter, it changed a team that had been hovering around .500 for most of its franchise history and after Brady became the QB, everything changed, ands stayed changed until he left.

It’s tough to ever predict what will happen. You can’t definitively say Mac will or WON’T be a generational talent. Let’s look at Rodgers, when he was drafted, Brett Favre was still an elite NFL QB, and Rodgers is now considered by most, a better QB than Favre was. All Favre did was hold the record for most TD passes and Passing Yards when he retired. His last game for the Packers was an NFCCG OT loss.

So you never know what can happen in any given situation with any rookie QB. Rodgers slid further in the draft than Jones, and sat for 3 seasons before he became a starter in the NFL in his 4th year as a 25 year old. Turned out to be a perfect situation for him. He may go down as one of the top 5 QBs of all time.

But nobody was talking about him as anything special, even during his first 3 seasons. Think about if that was the Patriots and in the infancy of Patsfans. “Rodgers sucks, he can’t even beat out old man Favre”, would be uttered by many, most likely captain stone or someone of his negative ilk.

It’s all about situations. Brady probably would’ve beaten out Drew Bledsoe eventually, maybe in 2002 or 2003, but Mo Lewis starting the ball rolling early for Tom Brady’s meteoric rise.
According to Bill in his Book, Brady was beating out Bledsoe earlier than when he went into that game. Bill said he was obviously the better QB, but it was inexperience that kept him from starting, then when Bill was forced to insert Brady, Brady showed that he was already there.

I'm wearing that shirt right now.
Who isn't? :D

Brady did things even early in his career that other QB's did not do early in their career. He always had something magical, people just want to point to stats. The entire concept of the offense changed when Brady became the starter, it changed a team that had been hovering around .500 for most of its franchise history and after Brady became the QB, everything changed, ands stayed changed until he left.
I was an on-and-off football fan till BP came to town and have watched closely ever since, and have to say I didn't perceive 'something magical' when TB stepped in after Drew's injury.

To me a big part of it was 'addition by subtraction', Drew was overrated, a slow decision maker, a big wind up, no mobility, lacked touch on short passes, overly committed to throwing bombs, etc. TB was a very pleasant change, but to me, nothing magical at the start. Drew's later career showed he was overrated and it took a lot of hard coaching from BP to get much of anything useful out of him.

SB36 was magical, but a lot of that was the defense keeping the Greatest Show on Turf (tm) at check and forcing three turnovers and almost scoring a TD on the fourth which was overturned by a penalty, although Tom's coolness under pressure really showed at the key drive at the end of the game.

TB12 is the GOAT but for me it wasn't clear right from the start he'd be anything more than a competent starting QB. I'm glad I was wrong and he exceeded my expectations.

Who isn't? :D

I was an on-and-off football fan till BP came to town and have watched closely ever since, and have to say I didn't perceive 'something magical' when TB stepped in after Drew's injury.

To me a big part of it was 'addition by subtraction', Drew was overrated, a slow decision maker, a big wind up, no mobility, lacked touch on short passes, overly committed to throwing bombs, etc. TB was a very pleasant change, but to me, nothing magical at the start. Drew's later career showed he was overrated and it took a lot of hard coaching from BP to get much of anything useful out of him.

SB36 was magical, but a lot of that was the defense keeping the Greatest Show on Turf (tm) at check and forcing three turnovers and almost scoring a TD on the fourth which was overturned by a penalty, although Tom's coolness under pressure really showed at the key drive at the end of the game.

TB12 is the GOAT but for me it wasn't clear right from the start he'd be anything more than a competent starting QB. I'm glad I was wrong and he exceeded my expectations.

Sad to hear you talk about Drew like that. Just curious, do you remember the 2-14 season prior? He systematically change the Patriots with Parcells. Patriots was the laughing stock of the NFL. 1989, 5-11, 1990, 1-15, 1991, 6-10, 1992, 2-14. He was the man before Brady became the legend. I remembered, i'm not spoiled.

Sad to hear you talk about Drew like that. Just curious, do you remember the 2-14 season prior? He systematically change the Patriots with Parcells. Patriots was the laughing stock of the NFL. 1989, 5-11, 1990, 1-15, 1991, 6-10, 1992, 2-14. He was the man before Brady became the legend. I remembered, i'm not spoiled.
True, but Bledsoe reached his peak in the 1996 and 1997 seasons. It was downhill after that, except for his first year in Buffalo.

Drew Bledsoe had 2 major problems.

Bledsoe threw a lot of interceptions and got sacked a lot and I think this is why BB was ready to move on from him

1993 15 td 15 int sacks 16
1994 25 td 27 int sacks 22
1995 13/16 23
1996 27/15 30
1997 28/15 30
1998 20/14 36
1999 19/21 55
2000 17/13 45

Drew Bledsoe had 2 major problems.

Bledsoe threw a lot of interceptions and got sacked a lot and I think this is why BB was ready to move on from him

1993 15 td 15 int sacks 16
1994 25 td 27 int sacks 22
1995 13/16 23
1996 27/15 30
1997 28/15 30
1998 20/14 36
1999 19/21 55
2000 17/13 45
The talent level surrounding him started to erode after the 97 season. Plus in 98 he was hurt with the broken finger and missed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back