PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB is the preeminent football mind on planet earth.

If MIT or Harvard were to create a class about football and football history he would be the person they would want most to teach it.

You believe you know more than Bill... is this you?

v9LLwpw.jpg

By the way this whole "there will never be another Brady" thing is unimportant in 2021.

Part of what has made Brady great is his longevity and his playing on championship caliber teams. Mac doesn't have to become another Brady to have Brady-type production in the passing game.

Early in his career Tom was a game manager who grew into the GOAT, he wasn't Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck or even Justin Herbert/Joe Burrow out of the gate slinging the ball all over the place for big yardage & TD totals... in fact he didn't play his rookie season. And in his second season, first starting, he averaged 189 yards passing a game, 64% completions at a modest 6.8 yards per attempt with 18 TD's and 12 INT's.

What Tom did well once he stopped throwing picks, which didn't happen until right up to the playoffs, was not turn the ball over. He took what defenses were giving him and listened to his experienced coaches. In the 2001 playoffs he only threw 97 passes in three games, had 62% completions at a measly 5.9 yards per attempt (check downs) one TD and one INT.

This reimagining that Tom came in and dominated and that's why they won a ring is the stuff of Brady fanboys who were too young or inexperienced to understand what they were actually witnessing.

Mac Jones has to be good, if we're lucky he'll become great... whether he becomes a champion or anything like Brady will have more to do with the team around him and luck (health) assuming he is good/great.
I've been saying this for almost 20 years. Some things never change.

The Patriots went from 5-13 before Brady to Super Bowl Champions with him. Some people think this is just a coincidence.

I've been saying this for almost 20 years. Some things never change.

The Patriots went from 5-13 before Brady to Super Bowl Champions with him. Some people think this is just a coincidence.
Bill Parcells without BB had a 500 record on both the Giants and Patriots, within one season of Bill become his defensive coordinator/assistant head coach they were in a Super Bowl... also just coincidence.

Last edited:
Bill Parcells without BB had a 500 record on both the Giants and Patriots, within one season of Bill become his defensive coordinator/assistant head coach they were in a Super Bowl... also just coincidence.
That has zero to do with my statement. Nice try though! (Actually no it wasn't... it was pretty pathetic....)

::BB walks to podium::
I've heard, you know, Myface InstaTitter SnapperGram you know, Mac. Blowing everybody away. You see some things, look, things you can't see, no pads, no contact, no service. Know what I mean. See how it goes system like ours cam's our quarterback got a lot of learning ahead of him. "Impressed everybody" draft night. Mac was available at our pick. See our war room? So yeah. Ask me again, game speed, house blitz. So some elfs, yeah. Happy with your holiday? Happier with mine.

That has zero to do with my statement. Nice try though! (Actually no it wasn't... it was pretty pathetic....)
Look I don't know if you were agreeing or disagreeing as it read like you were doing both. But that 2000 team didn't have Seymour and half or more starters the 2001 team did, Richard's on the NFL's All Decade (2000) Team and it will be a crime if he doesn't make it in the HOF, but I guess we can dismiss his impact and suggest Tom is the sole reason.

BB has a winning record with Vinny Testaverde in Cleveland and he wasn't even that good, he just wasn't bad like Kosar. You need good QB play, everyone knows and agrees with that.

Really my point on the Mac Jones thread and about Mac Jones is he doesn't have to be or replace Brady, he just needs to play well one game at a time, stay healthy, and if he does that he'll have a good long career.

Sorry I brought up Brady. I get now that we're only supposed to do that when we're praying in reverence. Carry on...

Anyone who feels the need to jump to Tom's defense when someone makes a general statement about how he grew from a young game manager into the best QB ever and provide his stats which affirm this... he didn't simply exit the womb that way.

Or posters who blanch at the idea there are other really good QB's in the NFL, and the difference between them and Tom isn't a Grand Canyon sized gulf that explains how Tom won six rings and they only one or two.

Or posters who blame BB for every loss, credit Tom with every win and suggest Tom carried BB the entire way kicking and screaming...

It's patently obvious who you guys are, you show up whenever someone suggests Tom isn't a god. It doesn't matter if we call him the GOAT, the best of all-time... if he doesn't get all the credit or it's pointed out how he's mortal and open to criticism he's "being attacked." I think QB's are wholly overrated by fans who have a fantasy football understanding of the game, it has nothing to do with Tom.

Meanwhile when I criticize Bill like saying a 2nd for Sanu is a massive overpay, it's a mistake to trade back for Byron Cowart when a good TE in Foster Moreau is sitting there in the 4th round, or that at least two or more of his draft picks this year are a complete waste of picks it's thumbs up or total radio silence... suggest Tom threw a bad pass or wasn't superhuman in 2001 and it's guns at the ready.

Forget it, you guys are entirely unaware of your rabid and irrational fandom.
I still havent seen anyone that ascribes superhuman powers or thinks hes a god etc etc etc. You exagerate to the extreme.

That's good to hear, but it means nothing until we see it in something close to game time action.

BB has a winning record with Vinny Testaverde in Cleveland and he wasn't even that good, he just wasn't bad like Kosar. You need good QB play, everyone knows and agrees with that.
LOL @ cherry picking.

Belichick is 11 games under .500 as an HC without Brady starting.

Wozzy is 100% correct. 1. You don’t need Tom Brady to win a Super Bowl. 2. Tom Brady got better as the years went by. 3. Bill is a hell of a coach. Deus is correct. 1. Brady was a better qb his first year starting than he was given credit for. If I recall correctly a bunch of those interceptions came in 1 game against Denver? 2. The Patriots wouldn’t have won that super bowl without Brady.

If I recall correctly a bunch of those interceptions came in 1 game against Denver?
Brady entered week 7 without having thrown a single interception. That week, Denver got 4 off of him, in Brady's lowest rated performance of the season.

It always amazes me how we can notice qualities in others but be absolutely oblivious when exhibiting those same qualities ourselves. Reading one of the board’s preeminent Belichick worshippers accusing others of being “fanboys” is highly amusing.

The 01 Pats probably possessed the most nondescript group of skill players to ever win a Super Bowl. Then, you consider they had a rookie LT, a RT who would out of the league in 2 years, and a C who had to switch to G on passing downs because he couldn’t shotgun snap, that 2nd year QB had to be kinda special to get enough offense out of that group to go 14-3 as a starter after replacing Bledsoe at QB (albeit with an assist from Bledsoe in the AFCCG). That’s not slighting Belichick; he’s proven to be kinda special as well. It’s just stating the truth.

Good thing Mac Jones has (on paper) far better skill players to work with than Brady in 01, a better offensive line, and a defense that potentially could be as good as the down the stretch 2018 Pats D with which to win games. He doesn’t have to be special; he just has to be very good. Brady had to be special.

The 01 Pats probably possessed the most nondescript group of skill players to ever win a Super Bowl. Then, you consider they had a rookie LT, a RT who would out of the league in 2 years, and a C who had to switch to G on passing downs because he couldn’t shotgun snap, that 2nd year QB had to be kinda special to get enough offense out of that group to go 14-3 as a starter after replacing Bledsoe at QB (albeit with an assist from Bledsoe in the AFCCG). That’s not slighting Belichick; he’s proven to be kinda special as well. It’s just stating the truth.

The following seems to have been forgotten by far too many Patriots fans:

THE 2002 SuperBowl—Patriots 20, Rams 17—had been over for a few hours, and Bill Belichick,the New England coach, shook his head and mumbled to the few people near him,"Can you believe we won the Super Bowl with this?"

1 New England PATRIOTS

Wozzy is 100% correct. 1. You don’t need Tom Brady to win a Super Bowl. 2. Tom Brady got better as the years went by. 3. Bill is a hell of a coach. Deus is correct. 1. Brady was a better qb his first year starting than he was given credit for. If I recall correctly a bunch of those interceptions came in 1 game against Denver? 2. The Patriots wouldn’t have won that super bowl without Brady.
I agree with just about everything you wrote. Tom got better week by week and year by year. He was good in the playoffs and protected the ball. When faced with pressure situations he did what he did in most situations, thrived.

2001... it is what it is:

9x9Za7f.png

I agree they wouldn't have won it with Bledsoe in 2001, he had a fascination with the long ball and wouldn't make the smart easy throws and check downs. Parcell's had to ride him like a rented mule to get an efficient performance out of him. Brady is the best ever, been saying that since 2007. He's still human, and grew as a player into the GOAT he is now, I don't understand why that is so sacrilegious to some.

Bledsoe had so much talent but had that little switch in his head that would flip
Every now and then and cause him to do something incredibly stupid.

I agree with just about everything you wrote. Tom got better week by week and year by year. He was good in the playoffs and protected the ball. When faced with pressure situations he did what he did in most situations, thrived.

2001... it is what it is:

9x9Za7f.png

I agree they wouldn't have won it with Bledsoe in 2001, he had a fascination with the long ball and wouldn't make the smart easy throws and check downs. Parcell's had to ride him like a rented mule to get an efficient performance out of him. Brady is the best ever, been saying that since 2007. He's still human, and grew as a player into the GOAT he is now, I don't understand why that is so sacrilegious to some.
The thing is he was special before 2007. You cant be the goat in 7 years I think everyone understands that but dont sell him short on his value based on graphs and stats.

Bledsoe had so much talent but had that little switch in his head that would flip
Every now and then and cause him to do something incredibly stupid.
He reminds me of Antoine Walker. If Walker decided to play his natural position at power forward he had the talent to be as good as he wanted to be. Instead he insisted he was a shooting guard at 6'8" and wasn't all that good of a shooter.

If Bledsoe relied less on his talent and more on his brain he would have been much better. Parcell's and Ray Perkins were his brain from his rookie season to 1996, after Pete Carroll's first season Drew went down hill. I suspect Pete let him do whatever he wanted.

This thread has descended to grade school level of name calling and insults. Can't wait till actual football season starts.

The thing is he was special before 2007. You cant be the goat in 7 years I think everyone understands that but dont sell him short on his value based on graphs and stats.
I think he's special based on his body of work and longevity. He grew as a passer from where he was being taught what to do, to teaching others what to do. I also think there's great benefit for him in Tampa, not only playing with super weapons but being in a new system that's fresh and teams haven't seen him run. The New England offense at the end of his career became more predictable, maybe everyone (BB, Josh, Tom) became too comfortable.

His stats for his career show an upward trajectory of improvement in his rookie contract, which is also why they paid him earlier than they had to. It's not a slam at Brady to say he grew and improved like every other rookie QB in history who ended up with a great career. His rings were because he was as good a prospect as we've seen mentally and the result of being in the best situation possible. If Mac Jones plays well this season for a rookie or at all this team could go far. I think they could have a winning record and a quick playoff exit at best with Cam, and I think that's being optimistic assuming health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft