PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quantum leap in talent added between the 2000 and 2001 season is easily recognizable. BB took over a team with cap issues, with mostly poor talent and flipped the majority of the roster with value vet free agents and draft picks. The better part of the offensive and defensive lines looked completely different in one season.

Also Tom took over as a starter then went on an offensive tear right?

Wrong, they slaughtered the Colt's 31st ranked defense, then lost their very next game against the much more formidable Miami Dolphins. What we saw in 2001 was the entire team improve from the first third of the season and that included the QB play becoming more efficient. Tom was crucial down the stretch in nip/tuck games in not turning the ball over and doing his job... the idea he carried any of those early teams is revisionist history. Mac Jones doesn't have to be superman, he has to play well... that's all.
The year before Brady took over, Bledsoe averaged only 205.7 passing yards per game and 6.2 yards per attempt. Also, Brady went without an interception in 9 of his games that 2001 regular season. And, also, Brady had 3 fourth quarter game winning drives in 2001.

Tom Brady's Career 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives | Pro-Football-Reference.com

While it's certainly true that the Patriots of the early to mid 2000s was a team based upon defense and ball control, you're trying to push that to an extreme, in an effort to minimize what early Brady was doing. The re-imagining here is coming from you.

What does Brady have to do with Jones? It's not like Jones has the unenviable task of taking over from him. That job went to Cam.

As for who I hope QBs our team this year I'm solidly in the ABC camp.

What does Brady have to do with Jones? It's not like Jones has the unenviable task of taking over from him. That job went to Cam.

We have a QB named Antonio Brown Cromartie?

I don't know how quickly Mac will get his chance, but what I can't ignore is his deep ball accuracy. Even watching 2019 film, when he replaced Tua - he just has an excellent deep ball. Sure, you could say it's because of top WR's in NCAA like Jeudy and Waddle, Smith. But the point is, when he has to hit them, he puts it RIGHT ON them. If Cam struggles in the pass game with our current weapons, you'd have to think this will be a mounting pressure in the locker room as the season goes - if Mac is dropping dimes in practice.

Really my point on the Mac Jones thread and about Mac Jones is he doesn't have to be or replace Brady, he just needs to play well one game at a time, stay healthy, and if he does that he'll have a good long career.
Right now, what he has to do is play better than Cam, Stid and Hoyer.

It'll be interesting to see if/when he can do that.

Right now, what he has to do is play better than Cam, Stid and Hoyer.

It'll be interesting to see if/when he can do that.
Not Brady though right? :D

Actually, that's gotta be a relief. So we have a split stable: Mac and Cam are QBs without Brady tracks on their backs, Hoyer and Stidham are former heir apparents. Good mix.

I've seen people saying Mac's impressive enough to possibly win the job opening day. Maybe they would love to see that outcome in Foxborough but at the same time you know they'd love to see Cam suddenly looking dominant with a couple more pieces on offense, a bully-ball baseline, and just that little extra dimension in the pass game. Think about that punishing run-heavy game, now with more Stevenson... and just enough additional in the pass game to keep drives alive, and maybe have a "quick strike" capability if you get down more than a score. Not a "put the team on your shoulders" capacity, just an ability to hang in there. But there's got to be that additional dimension that Cam did not have last year, getting down the field by air when needed.

I've seen guys put that on slow track times among skill players, meh, maybe. I don't think so. Cam wasn't seeing what was there, not fast enough, and suffered from serious jersey recognition issues.

Now, if second year in the system and being COVID-free makes Cam an obstacle for Mac, that's a nice problem to have.

On the other hand, if we get Cam '20 redux, and Mac's not good enough to constitute an improvement... I dunno, in the pandemic I got sort of into watching cornhole... don't laugh, that's what you call throwing a bean bag at a hole in a plywood board. It's a less glitzy, less icy curling.

in the pandemic I got sort of into watching cornhole...

Just, er, watching... right? :oops:

5afm59.gif

;)

Why does every thread devolve into to a Brady argument? He ain't here, get over it.

In this case, take it up with Wozzy.

Go back and read the very first post in this thread, or subsequent TB references afterwards... then blame the guy who entered 50% of the way in who you disagree with. You’re terrible at this... try harder.

Go back and read the very first post in this thread, or subsequent TB references afterwards... then blame the guy who entered 50% of the way in who you disagree with. You’re terrible at this... try harder.
I still don't see any reason for any comparison between Jones and Brady. It would be great if there turned out to be one in the future though.

By the way this whole "there will never be another Brady" thing is unimportant in 2021.

Part of what has made Brady great is his longevity and his playing on championship caliber teams. Mac doesn't have to become another Brady to have Brady-type production in the passing game.

Early in his career Tom was a game manager who grew into the GOAT, he wasn't Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck or even Justin Herbert/Joe Burrow out of the gate slinging the ball all over the place for big yardage & TD totals... in fact he didn't play his rookie season. And in his second season, first starting, he averaged 189 yards passing a game, 64% completions at a modest 6.8 yards per attempt with 18 TD's and 12 INT's.

What Tom did well once he stopped throwing picks, which didn't happen until right up to the playoffs, was not turn the ball over. He took what defenses were giving him and listened to his experienced coaches. In the 2001 playoffs he only threw 97 passes in three games, had 62% completions at a measly 5.9 yards per attempt (check downs) one TD and one INT.

This reimagining that Tom came in and dominated and that's why they won a ring is the stuff of Brady fanboys who were too young or inexperienced to understand what they were actually witnessing.

Mac Jones has to be good, if we're lucky he'll become great... whether he becomes a champion or anything like Brady will have more to do with the team around him and luck (health) assuming he is good/great.

Screenshots_2021-05-22-08-55-26.png

Check my draft grades and free agency reviews... I grade every personnel move on it’s own merit.

What I don’t do is ascribe superhuman powers to BB the way you Brady fanboys do.

No doubt you’ve been in game threads for the last twenty years blaming the receiver for any bad pass Tom has ever thrown. Tom singlehandly willed the team to Super Bowl victories and when they lost it was everyone else’s fault. Shake your pom poms

tenor (1).gif

Of course, he's a First round quarterback just like Drew Bledsoe was. I hope he can duplicate Drew Bledsoe's stats in the next couple of years. Drew was the Youngest player to start in a Pro-bowl and youngest at the time to reach 10000 yards passing at age 23, perfect! It is the yardstick i.m.o. I remember in Smithfield RI the training camps there. I wish Robert Kraft would take the team down there and have a practice for old time sakes. Bledsoe had a gun, i hope Mac is the same prototype.

For crying out loud give this kid a break. As Parcell's used to say; "Do not put him in the hall of fame just yet"

The "Mac is blowing away his teammates is a bull **** 3rd hand unsubstantiated comment made in May before he has put on pads"...even if true its meaningless

Secondly lets stop the Brady comparisons in any way and in any fashion. He will not be Brady...ever ever ever. Brady is a once in a generational QB.

Thirdly, its ridiculously early to think about Nac starting this year.

Cam is going to be the starting QB this year barring injury.

That's Volin you're quoting. He will never not throw shade at the Patriots, so everything he says has to be taken with a thick grain of salt. Personally I've never believed the crap he spouts.
In addition to which, he has the IQ of a potted plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back