PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next good source of Volin’s inside of the Pats organization will be his first.

The phrase “That guy sucks” was made for the Trollin’ one. Actually, that makes it likely that he posts here, because that phrase also fits several “Pats fans” on this site.

You're Volin???

Yes, it's nonsense. And that's being kind to it.

Just listing HOF QBs off the top of my head, and remembering that the list below isn't even dealing with the likes of Warner/Staubach/Moon/Young, it's easy to find rookie starters who are huge among the HOFers:

Montana
Elway
Marino
Peyton

Making sh*t up again, I see….

Although Montana appeared in all 16 regular season games during the 1979 season, he only threw 23 passes.[24] He spent most of the season as the backup on the San Francisco depth chart behind starter Steve DeBerg.

Also, the plan was for Elway to be the backup as a rookie but the starter got injured, so Reeves clearly thought that having him watch and learn for most of his rookie year was w

In early October, DeBerg was named the starter by third-year head coach Dan Reeves for the remainder of the season,[27] but a shoulder injury brought Elway back a month later.[28][29]

Yes, Marino was the starter for most of his rookie year but sat for almost a third of the season (named the starter week 6).

If we see Jones this year outside mop-up duty in garbage time/meaningless games then odds are something went catastrophically bad and we are drafting in the top 10 next year.

I can get that people don't believe that Newton will be able to stick with his allegedly improved fundamentals through the entire year and will revert at some point. That is a very valid concern. But if that already happens in W5 -- and is not because of an injury -- then you gotta ask real questions how he made it out of camp as a starter.

Quite honestly anyone who actually doesn't want Mac to redshirt as much as possible (ideally the whole year) to step in next year with a full understanding of the offense is setting him up for failure. Even the GOAT got a full year studying the offense and he is the absolute gold standard when it comes to absorbing, retaining and then using information.
Completely disagree.
If Cam is playing the whole season, something went catastrophically bad.
He just is not the right QB for this offense. He just cannot process information fast enough or anticipate .... anything.
Forget about his inability to actually throw.

Redshirting QBs was very common up until fairly recently (last 15-20 years), but teams are also looking for ROI because these first round QBs cost a lot of salary now in year one. Pre free agency, you drafted a guy and had career rights, often at a low salary, so why rush him in? Also, in today’s game there’s a clearer path for guys coming out of college to transition to starter in year 1…a more organized process.

I don’t know if there’s that much benefit to redshirting, provided a coach is comfortable with the QB’s confidence and development (BB obviously should be a good evaluator), but my point has always been that the “second year QB leap” is largely a myth, so once a quarterback is put onto the field, he pretty much is what he is. Sure, he’ll improve, but the vast majority of the time we’re talking about a +5 passer rating gain and not a +25 gain. The idea of tossing a QB to the wolves because he’ll learn from mistakes and come back stronger seems to run counter to overwhelming evidence.

Last edited:
Redshirting QBs was very common up until fairly recently (last 15-20 years), but teams are also looking for ROI because these first round QBs cost a lot of salary now in year one. Pre free agency, you drafted a guy and had career rights, often at a low salary, so why rush him in? Also, in today’s game there’s a clearer path for guys coming out of college to transition to starter in year 1…a more organized process.

I don’t know if there’s that much benefit to redshirting, provided a coach is comfortable with the QB’s confidence and development (BB obviously should be), but my larger point has always been that the “second year QB leap” is largely a myth, so once a quarterback is put onto the field, he pretty much is what he is. Sure, he’ll improve, but the vast majority of the time we’re talking about a +5 passer rating gain and not a +25 gain. The idea of tossing a QB to the wolves because he’ll learn from mistakes and come back stronger seems to run counter to overwhelming evidence.
Free agency has absolutely had something to do with it, as has the league's transition from a run/defend league to a pass/pass some more league, and the owners' quicker trigger fingers with regards to hiring/firing head coaches.

Anybody from this century?
Start by listing all the QBs from this century who are currently HOFers, and you'll find out your answer.

And, when this century's QBs start getting into the HOF, we'll be adding guys like Eli (who's going to get in when he shouldn't) and Roethlisberger to the list.

there's only three people that listen to that show. that's ken laird's mom, chris curtis' mom and ben volin's mom and there's a reason for that. laird's a steelers fan, volin's a dolphins fan and curtis is a dink. nobody buys their bullcrap
I accidentally saw Volin by watching a "NFL Films Top 10" video on u2b, and I'll strongly argue Volin belongs on the dink list.

Everybody in his school, boys and girls alike, beat him up and took his lunch money no doubt.

Still much cheaper than Sam Bradford and JaMarcus Russell were.

As I understand it, Brady was very high on the Pat's draft board even the #1 QB for some, but they didn't want to take a QB because they had a good one in Bledsoe. Then when he was available in the 6th, they were very surprised, and grabbed him.

He then outplayed Bledsoe for 1.5 years, in camp and practice before given the reigns, and even then only because of an injury to the starter.

We’re reading way too much into how Belichick handled the Bledsoe-Brady situation in 2001 in regards to how he’ll handle this situation.

Belichick is not a 49 year old heading into the 2nd season of his 2nd HC (and probably last if he failed) opportunity who partially lost his first chance because of how he handled the replacement of a QB who was the face of the franchise but not really a very good player.

Now, he’s a 69 year old winner of 6 Lombardi trophies who, perhaps, only has a couple of years until retirement and might like to have the record for the most wins by a coach before he retires.

Cam Newton is not Drew Bledsoe who at the time was the popular face of the organization and was instrumental in the renewed interest in the team. Gillette Stadium is the house Drew built not Tom. Cam was released by his last team and in two offseasons drew interest from no other teams in FA other than the Pats despite being universally respected amongst his peers. Drew was traded for a 1st rounder and even got a final chance with the Cowboys.

Belichick has been pretty consistent in one regard - he plays the best player. That’s how he’ll handle the QB situation in 2021. The best player will play. Given the offense they run and the skill sets of Newton and Jones, I think Jones will show himself to be the better player.

One of you guys can predict the future! That's amazing! :( but it's never the same guy twice...

I think that it is very likely that Mac Jones will sit on the bench until he gets playing time.

I accidentally saw Volin by watching a "NFL Films Top 10" video on u2b, and I'll strongly argue Volin belongs on the dink list.

Everybody in his school, boys and girls alike, beat him up and took his lunch money no doubt.
Was he classmates with Tomasse?

Still much cheaper than Sam Bradford and JaMarcus Russell were.
TB had some things to work on before he would be considered a starter if I remember correctly. I remember an interview on WEEI where has said they wanted him to work on his arm strength and build up his lower body. Everyone remembers that picture of him in his underwear pre draft, didn't look like a hall of famer but he worked hard.

I think that it is very likely that Mac Jones will sit on the bench until he gets playing time.
I disagree. I expect he’ll be on his feet standing around more than sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back