PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

He has a 2-2 record, 83/117 70.9%, 1142 yards, 7 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. The two losses were to Tampa and Dallas and came down to the final few plays.

Mac Jones has been fantastic.
He's been great but I don't understand how "he" has a 2-2 record? Who else QBd the Pats when we lost?
I think the wrs will be fine. What he needs is an ol that wont get him killed. Thats the reason the Pats havent been able to open up their offense. This lineup played great today. Like to see em keep it. F Trent Brown. Useless. Even when he supposedly gets healthy, let him be a depth player. Onwenu has outplayed him and should stay at rt. Keep Wynn at lt. Let them roll w.the same lineup for a while and get some continuity together. Hopefully Jonnu recovers quickly. We have very good rbs. We will see big production from the tes. And Mac will keep improving. The ol is the key.
OL stability's been elusive, and getting right might be a season-long project. Hard to heal without Scar tissue :D Here's hoping we're on the right track, not just playing the JETE.
I'd rather Mac have a bona fide OL. Everyone looks good against the Jets. But the Chargers DL might just kill Mac if they get open runs at him like he has had to suffer in earlier games this season. Oh and he would have had a bona fide WR already if our WR drafting wasn't akin to having the 'dog' make the picks. Maybe that's what BB did? Who knows but it's a putrefying track record in New England.

VSZsi3o.jpeg
That time Nike the GM got in the way of Nike the coach...

Cut the B.S., your cautiously parsed Mac "assessment," calling him "oversold," etc. has EVERYTHING to do with obsessive Brady worship and hard-on for BB. You've made your allegiances abundantly clear -- Bucs/Brady/Bruce "Easy Chair" Arians. Just own it.
Woof. & without piling on anybody specific, I love when Tom gets achievements here and there, but he's gone. There are people here - don't know if Bruinz is one or not - but there are people here taking a steaming dump on the Pats every chance they get, all angry about BB screwing us poor fans and "letting Brady walk" and so on and so forth.

Really we shouldn't have to be pissed at each other but what are ya gonna do. You have to pick who's your team, and you can't just pick this one guy and say otherwise the Pats are your team... especially if it fills you with the urge to defecate on the team you're supposed to be a fan of.

I mean this so doesn't matter, really. It's a weird thing to get revved up enough to even post on a bulletin board about. Actually it's weird to even feel like posting on a Patriots site at all. Or most sites, actually. But that aside, how are people going to be so in love with the FORMER QB that that's their de facto rooting interest (number 2 team I can buy. I think that pewter is cool actually)

Edit: That guy from the Raider's shield and Bucco Bruce don't see eye to eye.

See what I did there? Not even halfway?

All fun and games till someone loses an eye...

Cut the B.S., your cautiously parsed Mac "assessment," calling him "oversold," etc. has EVERYTHING to do with obsessive Brady worship and hard-on for BB. You've made your allegiances abundantly clear -- Bucs/Brady/Bruce "Easy Chair" Arians. Just own it.

The kid's been good, for a rookie. He hasn't been "Fantastic".. Some people are overselling it.

Even with 2 games against the Jets, and a game against the Texans, the kid is 20th in passer rating, not 2nd, for crying out loud. Quit being such a blind homer. It's ok that the kid isn't tearing up the league right now.

The kid's been good, for a rookie. He hasn't been "Fantastic".. Some people are overselling it.

The kid is 20th in passer rating, not 2nd, for crying out loud. Quit being such a blind homer.

I'm no "blind homer," Deus. You, on the other hand, have blindly gone miles in the opposite direction and feel duty bound to tamp down others' enthusiasm. We know where you're coming from with all this, give it a rest.

I'm no "blind homer," Deus.

Then quit acting like one. You're making an ass of yourself because I said the kid is playing well for a rookie, and that 3 of the 4 teams who drafted a QB ahead of the Patriots would wish they had Jones for this season, but I won't buy into "fantastic", for crying out loud.

You, on the other hand, have blindly gone miles in the opposite direction and feel duty bound to tamp down others' enthusiasm. We know where you're coming from with all this, give it a rest.

I've gone nowhere in the opposite direction. I've had no problems with Jones. I'm just not going to pretend he's been more than he has.

I'll leave that nonsense to you.

Last edited:
He's been great but I don't understand how "he" has a 2-2 record? Who else QBd the Pats when we lost?

OL stability's been elusive, and getting right might be a season-long project. Hard to heal without Scar tissue :D Here's hoping we're on the right track, not just playing the JETE.

That time Nike the GM got in the way of Nike the coach...
Yeah sorry that’s my mistake I meant to include “since the Saints game” which was his worst.

Then quit acting like one. You're making an ass of yourself because I said the kid is playing well for a rookie, and that 3 of the 4 teams who drafted a QB ahead of the Patriots would wish they had Jones for this season, for crying out loud.

Enough with your condescending insults and imperious attitude -- if you want to witness someone making an ass of himself, find the nearest mirror. Your haughty arrogance and unsolicited judgments of others in this forum are pathetic and embarrassing. Just knock it off.
I've gone nowhere in the opposite direction.

I'll spell it out for you, whether you possess the humility to admit it is an open question: You don’t want anything happening in Foxboro that might be construed as vindicating BB’s decision to let Brady walk in 2020. That’s why you suggest people pump the brakes on Mac Jones. You fool no one. How many posts have you made the last couple days in the Tom Brady forum? Twenty? Thirty? Hell, you were posting Buccaneers personnel move updates there DURING the Pats-Jets game. As previously noted, it's clear where your allegiances lie. And that's fine, that's your choice. Just don't pretend otherwise and disparage others for not worshiping at the same altar.

Im simply saying that there are many hurdles to proving you are a true franchise QB, and defensive game plans are one of them. Everything he’s done to this point has been impressive but there is a long long way to go.
I'm not waiting for time, I'm all in

I think the questions around whether the team picked the right QB and whether he has an NFL career ahead of him in some form are close to being answered. How good he will be has not been answered and won’t be for a while.

Right now he looks to me like Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins in training. That ok. Those guys are/were multi year starters. Teams can win with a QB like that. Or with a big second year leap maybe this time next year we’ll be looking a bit higher than those guys for Mac’s ceiling. Time will tell.

You know these Coaches/GM’s are looking at what Jones has done compared to the QB’s they took and cringe. Nobody wanted him because he didn’t look “sexy” enough, can’t run around, throw left handed or blind folded.

I still don’t understand how Zack Wilson was the 2nd best prospect when he hardly played. When you’re known more for you mom then your game, that’s not good.

Lance had no business being taken 3rd overall and he will be Kaep 2.0. Their game is identical. Shanahan and Lynch’s seat may be heating up. They have made so many bad moves and have wasted precious high first round picks.

Then you have Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace with their jobs on the line. Don’t you think they would want to take the most pro ready quarterback, rather than taking a project?

I want to see Mac lead a win vs a good team, but he is picking up the game at a pretty impressive rate given he was the 4th QB taken.

Last edited:
Then quit acting like one. You're making an ass of yourself because I said the kid is playing well for a rookie, and that 3 of the 4 teams who drafted a QB ahead of the Patriots would wish they had Jones for this season, but I won't buy into "fantastic", for crying out loud.

I've gone nowhere in the opposite direction. I've had no problems with Jones. I'm just not going to pretend he's been more than he has.

I'll leave that nonsense to you.

Yeah, quit acting like a homer ***** Tunescribe, you homer b.tch! The God of War has spoken, don’t keep pissing him off or we all could die.

You know these Coaches/GM’s are looking at what Jones has done compared to the QB’s they took and cringe. Nobody wanted him because he didn’t look “sexy” enough, can’t run around, throw left handed or blind folded.

I still don’t understand how Zack Wilson was the 2nd best prospect when he hardly played. When you’re known more for you mom then your game, that’s not good.

Lance had no business being taken 3rd overall and he will be Kaep 2.0. Their game is identical. Shanahan and Lynch’s seat may be heating up. They have made so many bad moves and have wasted precious high first round picks.

Then you have Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace with their jobs on the line. Don’t you think they would want to take the most pro ready quarterback, rather than taking a project?

I want to see Mac lead a win vs a good team, but he is picking up the game at a pretty impressive rate given he was the 4th QB taken.
There are people who've been pushing for "mobile" quarterbacks for a long time, for any number of reasons. That's fine, I guess. But the almost instantaneous shift from "Hey, some mobile QBs can play in the NFL" to "If you're a pocket passer, you're really limited and not worth taking high" was so bizarrely quick that it's almost as if it's a conspiracy.

The NFL world went crazy, and I'm not sure why that is.
Fantasy and Mahomes. (sounds like a seventies group...maybe opening for the Captain and Tennille or Seals & Croft?)

It's the same reason Jason Tatum drives me insane for the Cs...90% flash...sure will have a 50 point game or three, all while the opposing club is slamming home ten uncontested dunks the other way going up by double digits as another long rebound contested three facilitates the break (and he's usually complaining he got fouled at the other end).

Whatever the sport, teams win games - yes, you need superstars, but they have to be part of a team. The entirety of which have to buy into their roles (which aren't all "star" equal) and execute those roles well including the coaching which also cant be all based on individual goals, but team ones.

Numbers are great, but ultimately teams need more than just numbers. Intangibles matter. If they didn't then the fantasy winners would also win the championship every year (when usually the opposite is true and most of the fantasy leaders are in the middle of the pack or lower). Mahomes is finding out this year, without a team around him, and him shouldering too much of the load, he's overwhelmed. He can't be the QB and the CB...and the DL...and the OL...no one can.

So scouts fall in love with the shiny object they think CAN be "ALL" of it - cover up every flaw any team might have, when the reality is no one can fulfill that role. Lastly we are just as culpable - we fans clamor for the same thing...so we're given it. We want a guy that can run a 3.2 40, throw the ball 400 yards on a rope, break tackles just by looking at the defender and, oh yeah, woo the cheerleader at the end.

Ironically none of those things translate automatically to wins...but most people think that correlation is direct.

Maybe.

But imagine a different scenario. What if Bryce Young had beaten out Mac last year at Alabama -- which he nearly did. Mac would have had the few starts from 2019, but would almost certainly have plummeted in the draft without his 2020 tape. 6th round maybe?
Not sure where you got your information about Young almost beating out Mac at Alabama, but that is absolutely not true.

Don't get me wrong, we love Bryce at Bama, but even this year, he is not at the level of Mac last year.

Maybe.

But imagine a different scenario. What if Bryce Young had beaten out Mac last year at Alabama -- which he nearly did. Mac would have had the few starts from 2019, but would almost certainly have plummeted in the draft without his 2020 tape. 6th round maybe?
Huh? Many pundits expected Bryce Young, as the 5th overall top prospect, to beat out Mac, that is true. But I follow Alabama closely and there was never the slightest whiff of Young “nearly beating out” Mac. The lack of Spring practices in 2020 meant Young didn’t get snaps or practice then, and then Mac’s performance in Fall practices and his record setting undefeated Championship year (40 TDS to 4 INTs) was beyond peer. There was never any question of Bryce Young beating out Mac.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back