PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

Not sure where you got your information about Young almost beating out Mac at Alabama, but that is absolutely not true.

Don't get me wrong, we love Bryce at Bama, but even this year, he is not at the level of Mac last year.
Agreed, Bryce has played well for a second year player, but not nearly as well as Mac last year (admittedly as a more experienced and seasoned senior).

Agreed, Bryce has played well for a second year player, but not nearly as well as Mac last year (admittedly as a more experienced and seasoned senior).
Bryce is still struggling with the long ball. He threw a long pass this past weekend to Williams for 65 yards, but it wasn't in stride like Mac always did. There is no question that he isn't one of the best QBs in college football, but he still has a ways to go, at least as far as Alabama standards go.

Huh? Many pundits expected Bryce Young, as the 5th overall top prospect, to beat out Mac, that is true. But I follow Alabama closely and there was never the slightest whiff of Young “nearly beating out” Mac. The lack of Spring practices in 2020 meant Young didn’t get snaps or practice then, and then Mac’s performance in Fall practices and his record setting undefeated Championship year (40 TDS to 4 INTs) was beyond peer. There was never any question of Bryce Young beating out Mac.
Glad to be wrong about that!

Bryce is still struggling with the long ball. He threw a long pass this past weekend to Williams for 65 yards, but it wasn't in stride like Mac always did. There is no question that he isn't one of the best QBs in college football, but he still has a ways to go, at least as far as Alabama standards go.
One of the many anti-Mac media talking heads was saying after the first NCAA games this year that Clemson clearly missed Trevor more than Alabama missed Mac, proving Mac to be much inferior...

One of the many anti-Mac media talking heads was saying after the first NCAA games this year that Clemson clearly missed Trevor more than Alabama missed Mac, proving Mac to be much inferior...
Clemson is a train wreck this year, but it is not only due to QB play. Their whole team is BAD!! I think if anything this proves just how hard it is to do what Saban and Alabama have been doing to 12 years.

We would not have lost our game to Texas A&M if we had Mac and that 1 loss might keep us out of the College Playoffs.

I would say Mac is a much bigger loss to a team fighting to get into playoffs than a team struggling with 3 losses.

Lazar's take on Mac's ceiling:

Dating back to the pre-draft process, the debate surrounding Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones was always about his ceiling.

Jones’s detractors acknowledged that his accuracy under 20 yards and efficient coverage reads would make him a reliable game-manager.

Even as someone who supported the pick and was pro-Jones in this summers’ QB competition with Cam Newton, I had my doubts about Jones’s ceiling. After the Week 4 loss to the Bucs, I wrote that the Pats should turn their focus to maximizing a quick-passing attack where efficiency at the short and intermediate level would make up for the absences of big plays.

In some respects, I stand by that. But here’s the main point: stop capping Mac’s ceiling because he’s already better than his initial NFL projections.

With each passing week, the Pats’ rookie is breaking through the “ceiling” many built for him and making those who think he’ll be a career JAG look like fools. Don’t be a fool.

Read the article, lots of good stuff:

Last edited:
While I understand those who wring their hands over "The Upside," I have been surprised at how good he has been from the start and how steadily he's improving. Rookie or no, he's already one of the team's best players. That's rare in a rookie qb.

Last edited:
That anti-Mac talking media head stuff is nonsense of course, as you imply. However, it is completely true that Clemson is missing Trevor more than Alabama is missing Mac.

However, that isn't a reflection on Mac compared to Trevor, but rather the simple fact that Mac's replacement at Alabama, Bryce Young, is playing quite well, so much that he is a top (if not the top) Heisman Trophy Candidate. That said, IMHO Bryce Young has not played this year at the level that Mac played last year, especially with the long ball, an area where Mac excelled, although Bryce is still only in the early stages of his second year and still has plenty of time to improve.

In contrast, Trevor's replacement, top recruit and presumed heir-apparent D.J. Uiagalelei, has really struggled, to the extent that many now doubt he is the long term QB solution at Clemson.

Last edited:

Who came up with this ceiling crap anyway, cause he can't run as well as a couple of the other guys or Mahomes? The best QB of all time isn't fleet a foot either so it's kind of dumb.

Who came up with this ceiling crap anyway, cause he can't run as well as a couple of the other guys or Mahomes? The best QB of all time isn't fleet a foot either so it's kind of dumb.
Agree 100%

I don't believe in ceilings.

That's what had me foaming at the mouth after the Dallas game. I'm still pissed McDumb didn't let him take over the game.

I don't believe in ceilings.
Ceilings...nothing more than...ceilings...
Trying to forget my my ceilings of Jones
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
Trying to forget my ceilings of Jones.

Ceilings...nothing more than...ceilings...
Trying to forget my my ceilings of Jones
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
Trying to forget my ceilings of Jones.
Thank you Morris "Fat" Albert :)

The league is obsessed with mobile QBs. We've gotten to a point if you are just a pocket passer you have a "lower ceiling" and has pushed teams like San Fran or Chicago to draft prospects like fields or Lance who look years away. Rather than someone like Jones who has all the characteristics of a good QB. BUT he can't run around and throw halfway across his body

I’m wondering what analysts meant by ceiling as well with Mac as his only question mark is arm strength/zip in tight windows no maybe his mobility which is overrated. Do they think he can’t improve his arm strength at all? He’s got all the other tools and he runs this offense like he’s been here for a while.

You know these Coaches/GM’s are looking at what Jones has done compared to the QB’s they took and cringe. Nobody wanted him because he didn’t look “sexy” enough, can’t run around, throw left handed or blind folded.

I still don’t understand how Zack Wilson was the 2nd best prospect when he hardly played. When you’re known more for you mom then your game, that’s not good.

Lance had no business being taken 3rd overall and he will be Kaep 2.0. Their game is identical. Shanahan and Lynch’s seat may be heating up. They have made so many bad moves and have wasted precious high first round picks.

Then you have Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace with their jobs on the line. Don’t you think they would want to take the most pro ready quarterback, rather than taking a project?

I want to see Mac lead a win vs a good team, but he is picking up the game at a pretty impressive rate given he was the 4th QB taken.
Love this post.

I’m wondering what analysts meant by ceiling as well with Mac as his only question mark is arm strength/zip in tight windows no maybe his mobility which is overrated. Do they think he can’t improve his arm strength at all? He’s got all the other tools and he runs this offense like he’s been here for a while.

I think they’re talking about someone like Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, etc. Those guys can “make all the throws” but not consistently, so they don’t take many risks. They’re not typically throwing guys open or connecting on those 3rd and 12 lasers. They’re usually going to lose if they need to throw 35+ times without a stellar running game and protection.

More than anything, I think it has to do with the space needed in the pocket to get velocity. Some guys are blessed with the ability to stand still and just launch it. Others need to step into the pass more because they need more power from their legs.

There are people who've been pushing for "mobile" quarterbacks for a long time, for any number of reasons. That's fine, I guess. But the almost instantaneous shift from "Hey, some mobile QBs can play in the NFL" to "If you're a pocket passer, you're really limited and not worth taking high" was so bizarrely quick that it's almost as if it's a conspiracy.
Ernie Adams has been writing so many checks to other teams' scouts he took a month off with carpal tunnel

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back