PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's hear it for the "homers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
After attending camp I saw the potential in the squad so I was 11-5 with faith that BB would grow and teach the fast, young D as the season progressed. Never expected all the Ws against the iron. And look at the December, march to the playoffs, points for vs against stats! Much more encouraging than the 3 player focused 2007 team whose performance waned as December wore on and DCs came up with ways to stop the Brady/Moss/Welker airshow.

As I fan of this D I warn that their December performance was greatly enhanced by the prolific offense who even when not building a big lead psyched opposing HCs into abandoning game plans in anticipation of a Brady barrage.

I look for intense film study and individual and subgroup coaching during the 2 week hiatus so that the younguns can improve their play and on field coordination.

Last edited:
i was the first "homer" to call 14-2 and was not taken seriously at all ever one of my predictions about the team came true

DOH!!!!

(Homer talk):woot:

Well since we gotta wait two weeks for the Pats' next game, I figured I would give a shout out to all us homers who had to take a lot of crap this preseason and offseason because we subscribe to the philosophy of "In Bill We Trust".

Kudos to everyone who stood by Belichick and Brady and company while being abused for being homers. We had to fight against the "the game has passed Belichick by", "Brady has lost his passion for football" (or the alternative "Football just isn't important to Brady anymore"), and "We only have so many years left with Brady and Belichick isn't giving him the weapons" crowds.

I would like to say that I am not one to pat myself on the back for being right, but we all know I would be lying. :D Actually, I just wanted to give everyone who stood strong against all the Chicken Littles a thread to feel vindicated for your convictions. I figured I would wait until the Pats are either eliminated from the playoffs or win the Super Bowl, but it is going to be a long two weeks to kill. Besides, win or lose the Super Bowl, this year has far exceeded everyone's expectations.

Let's give a round of applause for the small, reviled minority that felt Moss was holding back the offense (that was a ballsy call, but true.)

Let's give a round of applause for the small, reviled minority that felt Moss was holding back the offense (that was a ballsy call, but true.)

I am a homer and the truth is I still have a soft spot for Randy. So yeah that's a ballsy call.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Randy back here for $1 million and 15 plays a game next year.

Thanks for keeping the faith, Homers. I didn't have as high hopes as other seasons.

A rational contrarian is one thing. A Pavlovian, automatic-knee-jerk contrarian ("no! the sky is green!") is a different thing altogether.

Your post is irrelevant to Robs post because (insert micro reason here)...:D

Last edited:
After attending camp I saw the potential in the squad so I was 11-5 with faith that BB would grow and teach the fast, young D as the season progressed. Never expected all the Ws against the iron. And look at the December, march to the playoffs, points for vs against stats! Much more encouraging than the 3 player focused 2007 team whose performance waned as December wore on and DCs came up with ways to stop the Brady/Moss/Welker airshow.

As I fan of this D I warn that their December performance was greatly enhanced by the prolific offense who even when not building a big lead psyched opposing HCs into abandoning game plans in anticipation of a Brady barrage.

I look for intense film study and individual and subgroup coaching during the 2 week hiatus so that the younguns can improve their play and on field coordination.

Have you been spiking your Kool Aid again?

I've been a Patriots homer here on the site since I came here in 1990 ... through thick and thin the +'s outweigh the -'s. I said in 2002 if they never won another Super Bowl I would be content for life ...

then they won 2 more. Another one :confused2: why not :D:D:D. best offense in the NFL and a very decent defense to go with it. All we need is good health for the final 3 games to pull it off.

If only Belichick and Brady could also play hockey my homerism would be lifetime satisfied.

Last edited:
Let me say that moderate well reasoned skepticism was warranted after several disappointing season finishes and a crop of Free Agents who were anything but The Patriots Way.

What a diference in attitude and respect with this season's FAs led by Alge Crumpler on and off the field.

Let me say that moderate well reasoned skepticism was warranted after several disappointing season finishes and a crop of Free Agents who were anything but The Patriots Way.

What a diference in attitude and respect with this season's FAs led by Alge Crumpler on and off the field.

And all of those college captains that were drafted. A good chief also knows how to be a good Indian.

I predicted 11-5 (see siggy) which was homerific to many but I felt pretty damned confident in it based on what I thought was a sound analysis. It turns out I underestimated this teams' ability to pull out the tough wins in the early part of the season and against "the best" later on.

There are definitely a few people that have been scarce lately. It's kind of nice.

I'm pleased with my 11-5/12-4 prediction. I said 11-5 if they lost to cinci in week one, 12-4 if they don't, I'm just a born pessimist.

As the self declared mayor of Homerville, I hearby issue a proclamation that tomorrow will be an official holiday in Homerville. All you Homers get the day off paid :cool:

I do think that the negativity on this board can get over the top. The Pats only lost two times this season. The naysayers came out in droves then. Same with the Randy Moss trade. I didn't fathom the trade at the time, and really wanted to get more value out of that trade but had accepted that there was a method to Bill's madness.

No what really gets me was all the doubters and negativity after the Pats beat the Steelers, the #1 defensive team in the league. I was like, you've gotta be kidding me, you still don't believe? After the Pats then went on to beat the Colts, Jets and Bears I'd thought that everyone would be on the same page. But of course one certain guy kept making the same persistent argument that this team was going to fail in the playoffs due to only one factor - inexperience and youth. I really don't get it. I guess some people just like to worry. If they don't have something to complain about, they're not happy.

Last edited:
Wonder when the "sips not chugs" guy comments on this?

I wasn't going to, but since you decided to make your post, note my comments back on 7/19:

I am absolutely certain that things will not shake out as I put them. As for record, I think I had 13-3 or 12-4.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ight-roundtable-wrap-up-chat.html#post1858676

I was right. Things did not shake out as I'd put them. For example, I had them crushing the Browns, 49-10 homer that I am.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/19/350886-monday-night-roundtable-week-8-cleveland.html#post1858518

Did you have them at 14-2 or better? If not, why were you such a hater?

Last edited:
As the self declared mayor of Homerville, I hearby issue a proclamation that tomorrow will be an official holiday in Homerville. All you Homers get the day off paid :cool:
I think you're bucking for PatsNutMe's job. ;)

When I predicted 14-2 I wasn't being a homer. I looked at the young (raw) talent/athleticism on the D, when I saw that BB would run the D himself, I opined that the Pats would win shootouts early with an excellent O (thought Moss would have a big season and that Edleman would be a bigger contributor) but that by the end of the year BB would coach up the D to be a playoff caliber D.

14-2 was very rational when you look at the pieces in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST