PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft to Advise President Trump on Opening Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The actions of Trump are predictable as most of his decisions are made by like minded people, who will tend to agree as they are the folks who will benefit most from this decision $$$$$$$.

The best decisions that I have been involved with are those who represent a lot of varying opinions, discussion, arguments + some yelling.. then some sort of consensus.

To not include reps from the NFLPA, NBPA, MLBPA,NHLPA etc. is a gross oversight..

Kraft is a good and honorable man who will be a voice of reason so not to jeopardize the health of players/coaches/support personnel and fans at these events...

Man your avatar pisses me off to no end

Tony I love you a lot and agree with the general sentiment here but HIV is definitely not a virus that "only idiots" catch. Or herpes, for that matter! (Hell you can spread the latter by providing a... well-received and loving lingual service, let's say, to a loved one if you've ever had a cold sore and they haven't.)

Yeah. Should have worded that differently.

As far as I know, all they are doing is discussing risk and whether it is possible to manage risk in a way that will allow the NFL to hold games. No one has said that people should be crammed in a stadium. Did I miss something?

Well now you're discussing managing risk from a group level rather from an individual level which is fine.

as the president works with merchants to safely put America back to work.

Your level of delusion is breathtaking.

There is very little silver lining with what is going on with sports today, but I think we are fortunate that we are fielding the most “down year” Patriots team of the last two decades.
I can’t imagine the angst I would feel if this was leading into a team like the stacked 2007 or 2008 squads that we knew were going to be at the top of the league.
... where the excitement and anticipation we felt when 2009 started and TB12 was coming back from the injury.

please STFU ....try it for one day..PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, this pandemic has brought out the "never let a serious crisis go to waste" crowd. They're desperate.

We'll see but I think people are taking this a lot more serious than they were a few months ago. Some activities will be easier to maintain social distancing measures than others. Walking on the beach and golfing seem like no brainers.

I have to be careful so I'm probably taking it more serious than others, but I was more serious about it at first than I am now.

I'm concerned about the time frame. The longer we keep society "locked up" the more problems we'll have.

Then there's the freedom crusaders, who don't appreciate being told how to live, pandemic or not. We're already seeing some of that.

Of course I can.

I avoid close contact with people who might bring harm to ME. I take the effort. Not them. I do not insist the world come to a stop so I am free to do as I please.

I don't understand your point. I happen to work with a guy whose kid is in daycare. He and his kid have been sick since he joined the team. I don't insist he stay home, but I do insist he not hang out in my office.

To clarify the point, let's speak specifically about COVID-19 (i.e., I don't want smoking outlawed for all our second-hand smoke risk, or to remove red meat from menus, etc. I don't want to cease prosecuting terrorism cases, etc.)

I assert that you CANNOT fully control the risk TO yourself, BY yourself.

You make certain efforts, as do I.

I do not think that you are able - nor do I think I am - to avoid getting sick purely by our own efforts.

If there were only a few thousand people in China with the disease, and no cases in the United States, I did not think that, at that time, I had much risk. I think that I have more now.

I think that if the real number of infected were NOW 40-70% of the population, I think my risk of exposure would be much higher.

What's your procedure for your mail? Until Trump defunds the Post Office, we still have mail to worry about.

There's a non-zero chance that your lucky droplet is on there and still alive. If there is 100% saturation elsewhere in the society, your chances of the lucky droplet increase.

I take it from your post that you can't telework. Would you rather go to a physical work location with a higher or lower infection rate (whether or not people stay in their own areas, etc.?)

In my building, you load money on your laundry card using folding money. Sorry, but that's a great vector. So to be 100% sure, I need to go get money, keep it in a plastic bag for some number of days, and so on... spraying stuff down as I go (card, card reader...) Wearing gloves... disposing of them properly...

Point being, we're still not in positive pressure moon suits, are we? There's still risk to ME coming from the general population.

With 40-70% of the population having the virus -- i.e., the full extent of the pandemic -- the risk to ME increases, through nothing that *I* am doing/not doing.

Now if that's JUST "me," who cares. But that "ME" x 330 million is the country. The same applies to each of us. MY risk is influenced by the behavior of others.

Substitute YOU for ME, and the same applies.

The size of the risk matters, of course.

The potential of this pandemic to take lives is enormous. We've seen the tip of the iceberg that's possible in that 41,000 lost (at this writing). We're pretty well on the way to that rosy 60,000 death figure.

You know, 20 9/11s. Or getting close to one Hiroshima.

But I take it we're good with that, if the rosy 60K figure is the limit of this bungled catastrophe.

The way you keep that number in the tens of thousands and out of the millions, thus far, has involved a lot of inconvenience.... because that's been the only defense at the national level.

We should open essential areas of society, WITH gating and precautions, I totally understand that. We have to, for that matter.

But fill a stadium in the fall? No.

Or for that matter, start loading risk with restaurants, bars, etc.?

Well, you can avoid the immediate risk by not going. But how do you control the risk that your mailman went? Or your food delivery guy? And so on.

This isn't a casually infectious disease. It's one that will spread if the rule is to live "normal" lives, with only people who BELIEVE they're vulnerable taking precautions.

Belt and suspenders, dude. Keep the general infected number low, and you protect yourself. Policy matters.

So, if Kraft says there should be a game, then you MUST attend? This frustrates you? LMAO. Good luck figuring out whose direction you should mindlessly follow.

What are you even talking about? The border is closed, even if I wanted to attend, I could not. It is not about individual choices. It is about protecting the people from the spread of the virus. It might not be dangerous for most people, but does not mean we should not take action against the spread. If the HEALTH experts say it is safe to restart the economy, go for it. I just do not trust this administration to listen to the experts.

I was making a general point about restarting the economy when the situation does not seem to be in control. I was critiquing the government for putting the economy before people's life.

I was commenting on the people on the committee. I think only having business people and no labor people is not a good idea.

Your post has nothing to do with what I said. What frustrates me is putting the economy before the people. Nothing to do with individual choices...

To clarify the point...
You make a lot of assumptions and speculate quite a bit. All that has been said is that there will be a commission to discuss the opening of sports. No time table has been set and no decisions have been made. As for your laundry, I would not be too concerned as long as someone (which could be you) is keeping the area clean. Wipe down the controls, door knobs, and surfaces. Do laundry when others aren't. Maintain 'social distances'. Get your folding money from a bank. Or do your laundry in a sink and avoid the laundry room altogether.

Some things I do require physical presence. I know of one coworker who has tested positive. I'd rather not be there. I have bills to pay.

I have to shop from time to time. I shop in New Hampshire (near home). I believe that, alone, reduces my risk dramatically. I have not seen (and I have been looking for some time) one single person cough or sneeze in a store. They have done smart things at these stores -- cleaning, spacing, shields -- but, so far, have been unwilling to address the greatest risk. Fresh, unwrapped, unshielded produce is moist and a good home for the virus and a lot of it is handled and returned to the shelf. Be sure to wash your fresh produce.

So who should I believe, the crew from CNN or your eyes?
Yesterday had the most traffic in my area of northern Nassau County on Long Island in 6 weeks. The corvette car club (30 of them) was out for a ride. Fun time, cool. Bicyclists (50% wearing masks), joggers (0% wearing masks), pedestrians (70% wearing masks) were everywhere. The sidewalks are all shared space, no social distancing at all. All the parks here are closed. But not playgrounds, and there were kids (0% wearing masks) with and without parents (0% wearing masks) everywhere like it was a typical Spring Sunday in NY.

Lastly, this morning I picked up my mobile DD coffee (wearing my mask) and all the employees were wearing masks and gloves but the other customer was sans mask, a Nassau County cop. Really?

Dumb is running amok.

Yesterday had the most traffic in my area of northern Nassau County on Long Island in 6 weeks. The corvette car club (30 of them) was out for a ride. Fun time, cool. Bicyclists (50% wearing masks), joggers (0% wearing masks), pedestrians (70% wearing masks) were everywhere. The sidewalks are all shared space, no social distancing at all. All the parks here are closed. But not playgrounds, and there were kids (0% wearing masks) with and without parents (0% wearing masks) everywhere like it was a typical Spring Sunday in NY.

Lastly, this morning I picked up my mobile DD coffee (wearing my mask) and all the employees were wearing masks and gloves but the other customer was sans mask, a Nassau County cop. Really?

Dumb is running amok.

I don't judge the lack of masks as harshly as I did at the beginning. If I can avoid those people I'm fine.

I don't think I'd want to be in NY or NJ right now.

I don't judge the lack of masks as harshly as I did at the beginning. If I can avoid those people I'm fine.

NY law right now is everyone who goes out in public where they cannot distance themselves (6 feet) need to wear a mask. Nothing like a good sweaty runner wiping their brow and spitting loogies everywhere sharing road and sidewalk space with dog walkers and couples pushing baby strollers.

The outbreak has taken a downward move (yay!) in NY the last 10 days much like the overall IQ of its citizens.

I didn't want to be in NY or NJ before the virus.

So is this the COVID thread now or what

So is this the COVID thread now or what
Speaking to reasons perhaps that filling stadiums with drunken agitated (perhaps and always see GDT) fans might not work without proper testing/treatment/vaccine in place for the general populace.

I would be ok with piped in crowd noise without loss of draft picks as an early season substitute.

I would be ok with piped in crowd noise without loss of draft picks as an early season substitute.
The Colts and Falcons got ya covered there, bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST