PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keyshawn Johnson SportsCenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington couldn't displace Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh from their cushy roles as #1 and #2 WR's. I don't fault Washington for that... there are few who could break into the starting lineup with those guys in front of them. Johnson and Houshmandzadeh both have good height and can be classified as possession WR's. Also, Johnson and Houshmandzadeh have missed a total of four games combined due to injury during the past three seasons.

In NE every position in the WR corps is open. Washington finally has a chance to establish himself, although with the arrival of Moss it's going to be tougher.

72 catches in 4 years isn't anything special, even for a #4 receiver. With all the additions made by the Patriots, Washington had best be renting.

72 catches in 4 years isn't anything special, even for a #4 receiver. With all the additions made by the Patriots, Washington had best be renting.

72 catches is one better than David Patten's pre-Patriots total. Different eras, sure, but a new environment can do wonders.

I'm a huge Key fan and have wanted to see him in a Pats uni for years now. Hopefully it'll happen.

Not sure why people believe Key wouldn't help this team :confused:

For starters, despite it being a priority on BB's ideal WR wish list, this team doesn't have a single WR who can block worth a damn. Well Key has been arguably the best blocking WR in the game since the day he stepped onto a NFL field.

BB loves players who love the game of football and, in BB"s own words "few players that I have met love football more than Keyshawn does".

Despite being 35 Key's stats last year were better than any WR currently on this roster. So, in the "what have you done for me lately category" that BB loves so much, Key has it all over anyone now on this roster.

Not only has Key been one of the most consistantly good WR's in the game but he's also been one of the healthiest having only missed 9 games in his 11 year career, with 6 of them being in 1 season. Frankly, with the injury woes that Moss and Stallworth have exhibited the last couple years it wouldn't hurt to add an iron man to the WR grouping.

Not counting the one season where Key only played in 10 games due to injury this guy has never had fewer than 815 yards receiving in a season.

If a roster spot is needed for Key, cut Caldwell or Gaffney .... neither of them are 1/100th the WR that Key is.

Here are Key's career stats:

Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+
                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |
| 1996 nyj |  14 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    63    844  13.4    8 |
| 1997 nyj |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    70    963  13.8    5 |
| 1998 nyj |  16 |     2     60   30.0    1 |    83   1131  13.6   10 |
| 1999 nyj |  16 |     5      6    1.2    0 |    89   1170  13.1    8 |
| 2000 tam |  16 |     2      5    2.5    0 |    71    874  12.3    8 |
| 2001 tam |  15 |     0      0    0.0    0 |   106   1266  11.9    1 |
| 2002 tam |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    76   1088  14.3    5 |
| 2003 tam |  10 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    45    600  13.3    3 |
| 2004 dal |  16 |     2     13    6.5    0 |    70    981  14.0    6 |
| 2005 dal |  16 |     1      3    3.0    0 |    71    839  11.8    6 |
| 2006 car |  16 |     1      4    4.0    1 |    70    815  11.6    4 |
|  TOTAL   | 167 |    13     91    7.0    2 |   814  10571  13.0   64 |

For starters, despite it being a priority on BB's ideal WR wish list, this team doesn't have a single WR who can block worth a damn.

This isn't true at all. I've heard Donte' Stallworth being called an extremely underrated blocker and one of the better blocking wide reciver in the league.

The running back from Minnesota said that Moss' blocking for him was very adequate.

I don't know much about how the rest of your WRs block but unless you can present some evidence I see nothing to suggest that none of them can block worth a damn. Caldwell and Gaffney were fine last year.

welker is just a good ST guy and he wont have more then 30 rec this yer he is a kick returner and a punt returner now marrony and hobbs and fulk dont need to return kicks and hes a 3rd down recver like brown

This is just stupid talk. Welker will have between 45-60 receptions. He is going to be the #3 receiver. Not necessarily the "3rd down" receiver. The Pats don't subscribe to the old football stereotype of run on 1st and 2nd and pass on 3rd. They will constantly be making substitutions to get the mismatches they want and to confuse the opposition. I think that we may see a lot of 2TE/3WR sets... with Brady and Watson out there.

Its fairly good odds that the Pats will light up the passing game and Brady could break 30 TDs during the regular season for the 1st time in his career.

Ain't no way in hell Keyshawn is coming to NE.
1. Cap room is starting to get tight.
2. We are totally stacked now at reciever.
3. Keyshawn is not as good as he thinks he's worth.

I agree with 2 and 3, but you are way off on #1. The Pats have 6.75 million and will be freeing up another 2.5 as of June 1st. Their rookie cap number is something like 3.7 million. That still leaves better than 5 million to be spent.

Washington couldn't displace Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh from their cushy roles as #1 and #2 WR's. I don't fault Washington for that... there are few who could break into the starting lineup with those guys in front of them. Johnson and Houshmandzadeh both have good height and can be classified as possession WR's. Also, Johnson and Houshmandzadeh have missed a total of four games combined due to injury during the past three seasons.

In NE every position in the WR corps is open. Washington finally has a chance to establish himself, although with the arrival of Moss it's going to be tougher.

Washington is my favorite to be cut, in all honesty. He's not that great of a WR and couldn't beat out Chris Henry for the #3 position on the Bengals. At best, Washington would be the #4 receiver behind Moss, Stallworth and Welker, but I just don't see him beating out Caldwell or Gaffney.

They just said (paraphrasing) "And More on Randy Moss, he's possibly picking up a new teammate in NE?.....Keyshawn Johnson, possibly?"

Teasing punks. It'll probably be nothing more than a last second blurb mentioning a possible rumor.

This is why ESPN blows. And is evil.

This isn't true at all. I've heard Donte' Stallworth being called an extremely underrated blocker and one of the better blocking wide reciver in the league.

The running back from Minnesota said that Moss' blocking for him was very adequate.

I don't know much about how the rest of your WRs block but unless you can present some evidence I see nothing to suggest that none of them can block worth a damn. Caldwell and Gaffney were fine last year.

Not being able to block worth a damn might have been too strong a description I suppose. Let's just say that neither Moss, nor Stallworth nor Caldwell nor Gaffney nor Washington are known for their blocking prowess like is the case with Key.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4980&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4472&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=3363&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4492&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=2772&hubname=nfl-patriots

Note that when it comes to blocking words like ""adequate", willing", "able" and "hard working who does what he can" are the best comments where Stallworth and Caldwell are concerned while the analysis of blocking skills for Caldwell , Moss and Washington are not at all flattering.

Suffice it to say that getting one of the best blocking WR's in the game in Key would be a monumental improvement over what we now have on the team.

Not being able to block worth a damn might have been too strong a description I suppose. Let's just say that neither Moss, nor Stallworth nor Caldwell nor Gaffney nor Washington are known for their blocking prowess like is the case with Key.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4980&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4472&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=3363&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4492&hubname=nfl-patriots

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=2772&hubname=nfl-patriots

Note that when it comes to blocking words like ""adequate", willing", "able" and "hard working who does what he can" are the best comments where Stallworth and Caldwell are concerned while the analysis of blocking skills for Caldwell , Moss and Washington are not at all flattering.

Suffice it to say that getting one of the best blocking WR's in the game in Key would be a monumental improvement over what we now have on the team.

And them saying that Keyshawn blocks well is such a ringing endorsement over the others.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=1825&hubname=nfl

Sorry, but in this case, I can't agree with you regarding bringing Keyshawn in. Besides, I'll take the word of Robert Smith over TSN Canada.

And them saying that Keyshawn blocks well is such a ringing endorsement over the others.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=1825&hubname=nfl

Sorry, but in this case, I can't agree with you regarding bringing Keyshawn in. Besides, I'll take the word of Robert Smith over TSN Canada.

Key is known for his blocking prowess. The same can't be said of the others. Sorry!

As for what Smith said of his teammate, they are friends, what do you expect him to say?

Key would be the 2nd best WR on this team if he was added. What's not to like about that?

Personally, I would love to have Keyshawn here. He fits the Pats system better than either Moss or Stallworth. There are a lot of negatives about his attitude, but no more than Moss (actually much less). One thing you can never accuse Keyshawn of is dogging it. The guy is a competitor.

Key is known for his blocking prowess. The same can't be said of the others. Sorry!

As for what Smith said of his teammate, they are friends, what do you expect him to say?

Key would be the 2nd best WR on this team if he was added. What's not to like about that?

Yes, such great blocking prowess that the site you quoted for every other receiver on the Pats says this about Johnson: "He blocks well"

I think that you have a bias for Johnson and that its clouding your judgement. Particularly when the site you use as a reference for the others doesn't give a glowing endorsement of Johnson. Yet you want us to believe you and discredit it.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Keyshawn would be the 2nd best WR on this team. Just like I believe that Keyshawn running his mouth at the draft is probably what cost him his position on the Panthers.

I actually buy into the Keyshawn-as-pain-in-the-***** locker room presence WAY more than the concerns re: Moss. Moss seems more...passively troubling whereas Keyshawn is an active trouble-maker. I think both would be okay here, but I don't feel the need to risk MORE on bringing Keyshawn in.

Yes, such great blocking prowess that the site you quoted for every other receiver on the Pats says this about Johnson: "He blocks well"

I think that you have a bias for Johnson and that its clouding your judgement. Particularly when the site you use as a reference for the others doesn't give a glowing endorsement of Johnson. Yet you want us to believe you and discredit it.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Keyshawn would be the 2nd best WR on this team. Just like I believe that Keyshawn running his mouth at the draft is probably what cost him his position on the Panthers.
If you've followed the NFL during Key's time spent in the league you wouldn't need to read any article on his superior blocking ability. It's a known fact that he's been one of the premiere blocking WRs in the game the last decade.

As for Key being the 2nd best WR on this team, you are right. Looking at last years stats he's better than 2nd best. Technically, at least statistically, he'd be our best (most productive) WR.

Washington is my favorite to be cut, in all honesty. He's not that great of a WR and couldn't beat out Chris Henry for the #3 position on the Bengals. At best, Washington would be the #4 receiver behind Moss, Stallworth and Welker, but I just don't see him beating out Caldwell or Gaffney.

Not breaking into the Bengals starting lineup might be because his rap sheet wasn't long enough.

Cinci: Where if you want to be in the lineup, you have to be in a lineup.

PFnV

I actually buy into the Keyshawn-as-pain-in-the-***** locker room presence WAY more than the concerns re: Moss. Moss seems more...passively troubling whereas Keyshawn is an active trouble-maker. I think both would be okay here, but I don't feel the need to risk MORE on bringing Keyshawn in.

Keyshawn hasn't been a problem in the lockerroom since Tampa. The only negative on his attitude in recent years was that he reportedly refused to be a fall guy for Jake Delhomme this season by taking responsibility for miscommunications on passes. If Keyshawn wasn't at fault, I don't blame him. It's not like he went around blaming Delhomme or Fox for the problems, he just refuse to take all the blame.

welker is just a good ST guy and he wont have more then 30 rec this yer he is a kick returner and a punt returner now marrony and hobbs and fulk dont need to return kicks and hes a 3rd down recver like brown

It will be interesting to see how the ball gets spread around. But I suspect Welker will catch his share. The Pats love that WR screen and Welker should be almost perfect in that role. He's got great hands and with speed on the outside he'll be an excellent possession target underneath. I actually think he'll have a pretty big role in the offense.

If you've followed the NFL during Key's time spent in the league you wouldn't need to read any article on his superior blocking ability. It's a known fact that he's been one of the premiere blocking WRs in the game the last decade.

As for Key being the 2nd best WR on this team, you are right. Looking at last years stats he's better than 2nd best. Technically, at least statistically, he'd be our best (most productive) WR.

BMU -
Stats don't tell the WHOLE story. And I have followed the NFL both before and during Keyshawn's career. I didn't read the caption on Keyshawn to understand how good or bad he was. I read it for comparison purposes.

BMU, my point behind looking up Keyshawn on that site was as a frame of reference. YOU claim that Keyshawn is this great blocker and that TSN.CA doesn't give a ringing endorsement of the current receivers on the Patriots. Yet, when you review Keyshawn, they don't exactly give him a ringing endorsement either. So, either they are UNDERSTATING all the players or you are over-stating Keyshawn's abilities. In any case, I don't think you posting TSN.CA helped your case at all and I truly don't think that Keyshawn was all that great in Carolina. He was there for one year after signing a 4 year deal with them. Dwayne Jarrett is a rookie and probably won't do much with Colbert and Smith in front of him. And the Panthers weren't in cap trouble so that wasn't a reason to release him. So there clearly was another reason.

BMU -
Stats don't tell the WHOLE story. And I have followed the NFL both before and during Keyshawn's career. I didn't read the caption on Keyshawn to understand how good or bad he was. I read it for comparison purposes.

BMU, my point behind looking up Keyshawn on that site was as a frame of reference. YOU claim that Keyshawn is this great blocker and that TSN.CA doesn't give a ringing endorsement of the current receivers on the Patriots. Yet, when you review Keyshawn, they don't exactly give him a ringing endorsement either. So, either they are UNDERSTATING all the players or you are over-stating Keyshawn's abilities. In any case, I don't think you posting TSN.CA helped your case at all and I truly don't think that Keyshawn was all that great in Carolina. He was there for one year after signing a 4 year deal with them. Dwayne Jarrett is a rookie and probably won't do much with Colbert and Smith in front of him. And the Panthers weren't in cap trouble so that wasn't a reason to release him. So there clearly was another reason.
I used the TSN site because it's a site that I read religiously and it was handy so I used it. I'm sure if you used other sites for reference you'll see similar comments where the players blocking skills are concerned. I'm certainly not going to waste anymore of my time doing it so be my guest.

At any rate, my primary point is that not one of the WR's currently on the team will ever be confused with Key as a blocker. The degree of difference between them is open to debate I suppose but I think most anyone would agree that adding Key would be an improvement to the blocking ability of this WR corps, a corps I consider to be weak in the blocking department. Not to mention all of the other benefits adding him would bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes