PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Justin Herron (PFF's 6th Worst Pass Blocker in NFL) Set to Protect Mac Jones' Blind Side

I don't hate Herron, I really don't. It's just very hard to justify keeping Onwenu benched over someone like that.

I don't hate Herron, I really don't. It's just very hard to justify keeping Onwenu benched over someone like that.

Yeah. Agree. Herron is a backup. Seems like a good teammate. But Onwenu is their best lineman. Best lineman on the whole team kept on the bench for 9 weeks.

Which is smart. Shaq and Brown are Mammoths.
Shaq is an elf next to brown. Hes only 6'1 305. Will be curious if they put owenu as the 6th lineman near brown. At least Stevenson plays today. Not sure how he squeezed through some of those holes in the first buffalo game

I am flummoxed over what happened to Onwenu? He was best lineman or close to it last year, and now he's behind Herron. Is he hurt? Did he regress? Or was he just a PFF wonder last year?

If we're going to care that much about PFF grades, you can't ignore that Herron had a 85.7 pass blocking grade last weekend while Onwenu had a 36.6.

If we're going to care that much about PFF grades, you can't ignore that Herron had a 85.7 pass blocking grade last weekend while Onwenu had a 36.6.

PFF grades exist to justify someone's pre-conceived notions, and ignored otherwise. And this isn't to call out anyone in particular, this is done by just about everyone who references the site at all. Quantifying football is hard (if not impossible on a pure level).

Yeah. Agree. Herron is a backup. Seems like a good teammate. But Onwenu is their best lineman. Best lineman on the whole team kept on the bench for 9 weeks.
Quality OL play is more dependent on continuity than talent.
That's Football 101.
I love Onwenu.
The problem is if you start him at rt and move Brown to lt, youre now disrupting 2 spots instead of 1. Plus Brown has taken 0 reps at lt all year.
And Shaq Mason is their best lineman this year.
Herron has done ok and its less disruptive to have him stay there. This is not the time to make drastic changes to the one unit that most relies on continuity not talent.

No he is not their best lineman.

But Herron played both tackle positions last year -- not like he is a pure left tackle. Why not put Onwenu at left tackle? (I'm just curious -- I don't think I'm "right")

I am flummoxed over what happened to Onwenu? He was best lineman or close to it last year, and now he's behind Herron. Is he hurt? Did he regress? Or was he just a PFF wonder last year?
Onwenu played pretty well last year but was overhyped because he was drafted late was a rookie and a “surprise”.
It’s common to overrate average players who were drafted late and underrate average players who were drafted early.
PFF is essentially useless.
This year onwenu struggled particularly in pass blocking. He played his way to the bench along with karras playing his way to starting.
Herron has had some rough moments but overall for the last 2 seasons has not been bad.
From my chair I’d slightly prefer onwenu playing but I’d rate Herron a better pass blocker and onwenu a much better run blocker, so it’s not a no brainer.
Given that onwenu has been playing 6th ol/te for roughly 30% of the snaps (but it varies a lot game to game) how much we plan to use that may have a lot to do with who replaced Wynn.

But Herron played both tackle positions last year -- not like he is a pure left tackle. Why not put Onwenu at left tackle? (I'm just curious -- I don't think I'm "right")

Because he has never played (or seemingly practiced there either). And Herron playing both tackles doesn't really matter here unless you're thinking of benching Brown.

Shaq is an elf next to brown. Hes only 6'1 305. Will be curious if they put owenu as the 6th lineman near brown. At least Stevenson plays today. Not sure how he squeezed through some of those holes in the first buffalo game
I fully expect to see Ownenu out there for at least 20 running plays. His time will depend on the score.

I dont ever recall onwenu taking even a single snap at lt. As I said before, continuity matters the most. The best ols are the ones that have played together the longest,not the ones with the most individual talent. More than any other unit on O or D, they must function as one unit. Each position relies on the other positions to do their jobs. If theres just one ol who screws up it usually screws up the entire ol resulting in a negative play.(sack,int,tfl etc). Plus,as others have pointed out, onwenu's strength had been runblocking,not passblocking.

I don’t believe Wynn being out is that significant in of itself. But I fear that one injury to a tackle now will just destroy the entire line as there’s no one left.

Can we safely assume O is getting lotsa 6th OL snaps today, though ? I’m thinking : Shaq-Brown-O and we run right. Behind that.

Who knows ? Maybe this is the week NE runs 10 in a row and then, on the eleventh, Mac passes it to O !

You have to be "open" to get looks.....

But do we really know that JonNo hasn't been open, or has his rookie QB, whose 1st, 2nd AND 3rd reads are Jakobi No-YAC Meyers, been unable or unwilling to look for him (other than those ****ing suicidal seam routes)?

Where does it say the patriots said Herron will play LT?
What you have is fantasy football writer saying that is what he thinks with no legitimate report being referenced.

Herron's our starting LT tonight, book it.

He might not finish the game because he sucks, but he absolutely will be starting it.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back