PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julio Jones (June 6 Update - Traded to the Titans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Pats are truly going to trade a first rounder for Julio Jones, you gotta think there is a realistic possibility that Mac Jones is a day one starter. I don't see the Pats trading a first rounder for a 32 year old WR, even Jones, if Cam is starter and Mac Jones is another year or two from starting. You make that move if you think Mac Jones can start right away or at least some time in his rookie year and an elite WR would make his entry to the NFL that much easier.

Anyone have a rumor from a friend in the know?

A friend of mine who is seemingly in the know said this:

"For several years, their market has been determined by irrational methods. They’re very hesitant to take on Julio Jones’s salary but just paid close to that, and a longer commitment, to three guys who are closer to cleaning Jones’s jockstrap than playing at his level."

Take it for what it's worth.

"For several years, their market has been determined by irrational methods. They’re very hesitant to take on Julio Jones’s salary but just paid close to that, and a longer commitment, to three guys who are closer to cleaning Jones’s jockstrap than playing at his level."

Interesting.

If only the Patriots had picked up Julio years ago, they would have won as many super bowls as Atlanta did!

And I think it would be great to get Julio if the price is right.

BUT only if the other team is willing to pay entire salary.

So they wont accept a "soft second"?

If Sony is included in any trade for Julio they must high on Stevenson because Harris has yet to play a full season so trading his insurance policy would be unwise in my opinion.

Why would someone "in the know" (meaning, i take it, someone with inside info on the Pats) ever make a statement like that, since that's inferring that the Pats believe it? If the Pats believed that, they wouldn't have paid Henry, Smith, and Agholor (I'm assuming it's those three) the money they did. And Jones, by the way, got paid a ****-ton of money on his current contract - $22million AAV - it's just that much of it was a $25m signing bonus, so his cap hits are now lower. Also, their commitment to Agholor is shorter, to Henry would be the same, and to Smith is a year longer.

Also, the guys they got will be long off these contracts before they reach Jones's current age. And again, none of the three have an AAV anywhere near Jones's, who signed his deal years earlier. Smith is 12.5/4, Agholor is 11/2, Henry is 12.5/3 - Jones was $22/3 with a couple of funky years tagged on the end,

Arent there any other old WRs out there ready to hit the wall that would come cheaper in draft capital and cost less.

The pain would not be so bad when the guy turns out to be a shadow of his former self. Jones is 32 and missed 7 games last year. How many more years does he plan on playing assuming the injuries dont begin to become more frequent.

Why would someone "in the know" (meaning, i take it, someone with inside info on the Pats) ever make a statement like that, since that's inferring that the Pats believe it? If the Pats believed that, they wouldn't have paid Henry, Smith, and Agholor (I'm assuming it's those three) the money they did. And Jones, by the way, got paid a ****-ton of money on his current contract - $22million AAV - it's just that much of it was a $25m signing bonus, so his cap hits are now lower. Also, their commitment to Agholor is shorter, to Henry would be the same, and to Smith is a year longer.

Also, the guys they got will be long off these contracts before they reach Jones's current age. And again, none of the three have an AAV anywhere near Jones's, who signed his deal years earlier. Smith is 12.5/4, Agholor is 11/2, Henry is 12.5/3 - Jones was $22/3 with a couple of funky years tagged on the end,

FYI, My post was a response to post 157.

Falcons are frantically pumping out stories in hopes of driving Julio's price up. That's what I'd bet. Doesn't seem like there's a true market for him from the limited info we do get...or atleast a market Falcons are happy with.

1 day he's a sure shot patriot...next day rams are trading Van Jefferson plus picks...then it's the titans..then Seahawks/Ravens. Usually means they (falcons) are desperately trying to create/alter the market for their return.

Wouldn't be shocked if it was just the titans and pats in it and that both teams are sticking to their original offers and not budging and neither team is close to asking price.

Think about it..if the falcons were getting the return they wanted the trade would have been agreed verbally and Schefter/Rappaport would have broke news. They are hoping someone takes bait and just gives up the farm.

BUT only if the other team is willing to pay entire salary.

Hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back