PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julio Jones (June 6 Update - Traded to the Titans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This makes sense to me. I'm in favor of trading for Julio, but I don't want to give up a first for him. First round is where BB usually does pretty well, we've gotten some really good players that get locked in for five years at low cost there. That's a lot to give up when we don't know for sure (though we're all hopeful) that Mac is the guy to build around with a piece like that yet.

But a 2nd rounder (plus some change)? Absolutely. Even for the best drafting teams, a 2nd rounder would have a 50/50 chance of still being in the NFL before Julio Jones' current contract expires. That's a shot I think you take eight days a week.

This makes sense to me. I'm in favor of trading for Julio, but I don't want to give up a first for him. First round is where BB usually does pretty well, we've gotten some really good players that get locked in for five years at low cost there. .
Some have a different view of recent first sound picks
EASLEY
BROWN
WYNN
MICHELL
HARRY

I'm personally against trading a 2nd for Julio. For a second, I want a WR in his prime with room to grow with Mac. I don't want a potential one year rental or a guy potentially near the end with an injury history.

The money is also an issue. We actually don't have huge amounts of cap room next year after this year's splurge and we have some big players unsigned (Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty, Hightower, Brown, Meyers etc). Signing Julio would not only cost us a significant pick but also mean shifting further money around this year. Let's not forget that we may have to bump Gilmore's pay or give him an extension to get him into camp. There needs to be some forward planning.

At best I would offer a 3rd that turns into a 2 on play time and performance conditions and the Falcons take on some of that cash. If they want us to take the full $15m salary, it better for a bargain deal such i.e. a mid rounder.

Some have a different view of recent first sound picks
EASLEY
BROWN
WYNN
MICHELL
HARRY

Unless you think these most recent five indicate a trend that the Pats have simply lost the ability to draft players like Hightower, Jones, Mankins, Solder, McCourty, Wilfork, or Warren, I'm not sure what the point is. I feel the value of a first round pick on this team is worth more than a 33 year old WR for a team that doesn't know if it has a legit QB yet. But apparently a string of two busts and three middle-tier pros is enough to devalue first round picks?

I'm personally against trading a 2nd for Julio. For a second, I want a WR in his prime with room to grow with Mac. I don't want a potential one year rental or a guy potentially near the end with an injury history.

The money is also an issue. We actually don't have huge amounts of cap room next year after this year's splurge and we have some big players unsigned (Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty, Hightower, Brown, Meyers etc). Signing Julio would not only cost us a significant pick but also mean shifting further money around this year. Let's not forget that we may have to bump Gilmore's pay or give him an extension to get him into camp. There needs to be some forward planning.

At best I would offer a 3rd that turns into a 2 on play time and performance conditions and the Falcons take on some of that cash. If they want us to take the full $15m salary, it better for a bargain deal such i.e. a mid rounder.

I could be mistaken, but don't we actually have another pretty good stash of cap space next off season (especially with the cap going up)? Obviously not enough to have another splurge like we just did, but I didn't think we were that up against it for 2022.

I could be mistaken, but don't we actually have another pretty good stash of cap space next off season (especially with the cap going up)? Obviously not enough to have another splurge like we just did, but I didn't think we were that up against it for 2022.
We have a relatively normal amount of cap room next year.

As far as free agents, we have
FOUR starting defensive backs (the 5th is in his contract year)
TWO of our top 6 OL's
TWO of our RB's (White and Michel)
ONE top LB
ONE top STer

Yes, we always need to re-sign or replace our own. However, given that our strength is our secondary, this list will require a seruious use of resources.

we have around $30m based on a $208m cap. I'm not saying the money for signing Jones can't be worked out, I would just rather invest the draft capital and money in an ascending player or players.

If we have to trade a 1st for a 32 year old WR (for reference, Moss was only 28 when we traded for him in '07)....the Falcons better be eating most, if not all, of that contract.

I would do Michel and a conditional 2nd that could turn into a 1st if Jones has something like 1,500+ yards and 12+ TD's....even then, I'd want the Falcons to eat some of that 15.3 salary....

Unless you think these most recent five indicate a trend that the Pats have simply lost the ability to draft players like Hightower, Jones, Mankins, Solder, McCourty, Wilfork, or Warren, I'm not sure what the point is. I feel the value of a first round pick on this team is worth more than a 33 year old WR for a team that doesn't know if it has a legit QB yet. But apparently a string of two busts and three middle-tier pros is enough to devalue first round picks?
I hope your kidding with your first sentence, because the point is obvious, and I'd love to be able to understand the insanity that tells people that trading a mid-to-low first round pick is too much of an ask for a player who's still arguably the best WR in the league.

I don't exactly follow the life and times of Julio Jones but I think he played this brilliantly. Here's my understanding:

He signed a 3 year extension with the Falcons, which got him a $25 million signing bonus. But now it looks like he won't play a single snap of that 3 year extension in Atlanta. So the Falcons essentially paid $25 million for a big fat load of nothing.

Now Jones is expected to be traded. Well I guaran-goddamn-tee you that he isn't going to say "I already got my signing bonus for the next 3 years so I will happily play out the 3 years I already signed on for on my current deal." He is going to pretty much want to start fresh or else whatever team he goes to is simply inheriting Atlanta's headache.

That, IMHO, is the toughest part of the deal. I have to believe Atlanta has given potential trading partners permission to talk to Jones. But Jones, IMHO, is going to want UFA money. No team is going to give up that much money PLUS a 1st rounder. Quite honestly, I think you'd be an idiot to give up anything more than a 5th rounder when we assume Jones is also going to want to get PAID.

I am not.

I'm not sure what kind of response you would like if this is your starting point.
Julio Jones would have been the Patriots leading receiver last year, despite playing injured and only playing in 9 games. Brandin Cooks brought a #1 pick in trade. Your starting point was insanity. I'm trying to bring you back from there. There's a difference between teams trying to draft a trade price down and fans just talking crazy.

And, unless you haven't been reading, there's no way you don't know what the point about those first round picks was, given the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes