PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman & Pats agree to multi-year contract extension [2 yrs, $11 mil, $9 mil gtd]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, he really took a team friendly deal.

The JETEs took a look at the Pats roster and decided "let's just tank".

Yeah - Raising the white surrender flag is a continual cycle for the NY Rats. I remember Randy Moss's first game as a Patriot was against the Jets in 2007. They realized the Pats were stacked about 5 minutes into the game. Instead of tanking they ratted the Pats out because the Pats were filming from the field and not the stands. They are pathetic.

Last edited:
the way I look at this deal is that it was all about the signing bonus. I read where he stands to earn $9MM in real money this season, a number he's never come close to in his career, which is amazing when you consider what some WR's are being paid.

The next 2 years go back to team friendly $2-4MM in real money range (with $2MM guaranteed) in each of the last 2 years of the deal. So in the end, the what the Pats have done is keep Julian under contract til 2019 and give Edelman a well deserved big pay day in 2017, while keeping a valued asset at a reasonable price. Of course the cap numbers on the last 2 years will be somewhat higher over the last 2 years

BTW- It will be interesting to see how the media responds to Edelman's 2017 season. It seems unlikely that he will be able to match his recent production with all the other targets available to Brady. So he can be playing just as well as ever, and not look it in the stats. I wonder how that narrative will play out?

the way I look at this deal is that it was all about the signing bonus. I read where he stands to earn $9MM in real money this season, a number he's never come close to in his career, which is amazing when you consider what some WR's are being paid.

The next 2 years go back to team friendly $2-4MM in real money range (with $2MM guaranteed) in each of the last 2 years of the deal. So in the end, the what the Pats have done is keep Julian under contract til 2019 and give Edelman a well deserved big pay day in 2017, while keeping a valued asset at a reasonable price. Of course the cap numbers on the last 2 years will be somewhat higher over the last 2 years

BTW- It will be interesting to see how the media responds to Edelman's 2017 season. It seems unlikely that he will be able to match his recent production with all the other targets available to Brady. So he can be playing just as well as ever, and not look it in the stats. I wonder how that narrative will play out?

It will be a great example of how stats do not always reflect value. Cooks might see more receptions simply because Edelman is on the field commanding defensive coverage.

Funny side thought. What if Mitchell ends up being the leading receiver? :D

considering how much money jules is making on endorsements, merch, by being a 2 time superbowl winner, and having brady around to help him, take a couple of mil less up front is worth it. Glad hes here!

He has $4M in incentives that Reiss called "reachable."

considering how much money jules is making on endorsements, merch, by being a 2 time superbowl winner, and having brady around to help him, take a couple of mil less up front is worth it. Glad hes here!

As an interesting data point, Edelman ranked #22 leaguewide in merchandise sales, but:

Six players who finished outside the overall Top 10 player rankings [for all merchandise] actually ranked within the Top 10 in apparel sales: Julio Jones, Derek Carr, Matt Ryan, Witten, Antonio Brown and Julian Edelman.

NFL Players Inc. - Ezekiel Elliott Surges To Top of Year-end NFLPA Top 50 Player Sales List

Great point, it may be that 90-95% of his completions are first downs. I'm excited to see how this group performs together. It's going to be nasty if Cooks looks to be as advertised (heck it was nasty just with the return of Gronk).

I predict the Pats will be a running team:
Running after the catch
Running away with the AFCE
Running like a playoff winning machine.

Yeah, I feel optimistic (goes to knock on wood for the superstitious people out there).

Can we officially say now that Julian's number one priority isn't how many millions he makes?

I'm talking to you, Jamie Collins.

It will be a great example of how stats do not always reflect value. Cooks might see more receptions simply because Edelman is on the field commanding defensive coverage.

Funny side thought. What if Mitchell ends up being the leading receiver? :D
The same goes for Cooks. I can easily see a scenario where Cooks doesn't get the same kind of production he had in NO, yet still has a positive impact on the Pats offense.

I think that will be the beauty of the Pats offense this season. In some ways it will mirror the superbowl, a game where no receiver had a monster statistical game, yet a LOT of receivers had very productive ones (ie around 70 yds) The key will be to keep everyone happy even though their own INDIVIDUAL stats are going down, while the offense is recording great numbers as a team. Clearly the Pats are great in winning THAT dynamic

I mean if even Pats fans call him a slot receiver and dont realize that he is more than that then what hope is there for him to get paid as he deserves ?

He is considered a slot receiver right or wrong by most people in this league. He spent 53.5% of the time in the slot last season and 51.2% of the time in the slot in 2015. When you spend more than half the time in the slot, you are considered a slot receiver even if it is slightly more than half the time.

And he doesn't get paid what he deserves for a number of reasons. First, people believe he is a product of Brady and the Patriots' offense. Second, he is not an X receiver and X receivers are the ones who typically get paid because they are considered the big play makers. Third, he isn't a deep receiver. Most of his passes are short crossing patterns, screens, etc. and he picks up extra yards on the ground which typically does not give him a top of the league YPC (he had 11.3 YPC last year which wasn't even in the top 40 for WR).

Do we really care what the media says?

Aesthetically, I'd have preferred him to make the big money. There are probably 20 receivers in the league with the same stats making twice as much who watch the super bowl from a couch/barstool every year.

But, hopefully some NE companies step up big with endorsements and the Adriana Lima types keep knocking on his door.

Who wouldn't want to live his life/story though? Such prestige! The accomplishments! The underdog story! The rings! The big catch! Being TB's BFF!

He's still going to retire an extremely wealthy man in his thirties. And have the experience of a lifetime. A generation! Praise be JE11!

Can't wait to see the movie adaption of his life in the 2030's. Hope I'm still walking the earth so I can be first in line to buy a ticket.

Yay Jules - good for you! And us!! Glad we are keeping the band together. Now everybody have a great season and let's go for No. 6!! (incredible that we get to say that).

Except Collins didn't leave, he was traded. And I don't begrudge anyone getting every cent they can.

I begrudge players deliberately freelancing because they are pissed about their contract. Imo Collins doesn't care about football or winning, he just likes the money. I'm glad they got rid of him. Really talented guy but not someone you sink fifty million in.

Never thought he'd turn out to be this good. I was just hoping he'd be a poor man's Welker.

He is considered a slot receiver right or wrong by most people in this league. He spent 53.5% of the time in the slot last season and 51.2% of the time in the slot in 2015. When you spend more than half the time in the slot, you are considered a slot receiver even if it is slightly more than half the time.

And he doesn't get paid what he deserves for a number of reasons. First, people believe he is a product of Brady and the Patriots' offense. Second, he is not an X receiver and X receivers are the ones who typically get paid because they are considered the big play makers. Third, he isn't a deep receiver. Most of his passes are short crossing patterns, screens, etc. and he picks up extra yards on the ground which typically does not give him a top of the league YPC (he had 11.3 YPC last year which wasn't even in the top 40 for WR).

Good post Rob.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you but want to mention that JE's Yards per game (69.1) ranked 15th while his Average Salary ranked 41st last season.

I'm not sure that people still believe JE is a product of Brady/System etc... He's proven he's not by producing regardless of who's on the field. No Brady or no Gronk no problem. To be honest I'm not sure what "system" means. JE runs routes and gets open.

All highlighted players had less yards per game than JE.

upload_2017-6-9_13-36-59.png

I keep going back to his rookie year in a pre-season game, he returned a punt and Welker was on the sidelines and BB turned to Welker and called him Wally Pipp!

The guy is tough as nails, and now has two Superbowl rings, he clearly wants to go into broadcasting after his career is over. So staying with the Pats will also help is after football life.

Smart move all around, hard to believe he has already been in the league 9 years.

So, Edelman was given a bonus, upping his real 2017 money.

Edelman was given low salaries for 2018 and 2019, with incentive goals.
=====

This is a great deal for the patriots. POSTERS believe that this is a great discount over what he might get on the open market. Posters were discussing $10M a year.
====

IMHO, this is a reasonable deal for everyone. $9M guaranteed is important for a player of Edelman's age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents