PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman & Pats agree to multi-year contract extension [2 yrs, $11 mil, $9 mil gtd]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting because while his numbers were down without Brady they were even worse in Brady's first 4 games back.
Then something changed.

1st 4. 19/196/0
2nd 4 22/162/1

1st 8 41/358/1
Last 8 57/758/2

Then playoffs was 21/342 (almost as many yards in 3 games as the entire first half of the season)

I think it may have been related to gronk.

It is interesting but I don't think it's entirely related to Gronk.

Gronk didn't play during the first three games ( a few snaps in game 3) and a two targets plus a few snaps in game four. He also was injured from game 11 on. Gronk did not play in six of Edelman's last 8 games.

But I do think JE's responsibilities change when Gronk is playing. His yards per catch do decrease when Gronk is on the field so maybe he runs shorter routes. His targets dropped slightly.

It was entirely related to Gronk. 2015 seemed similar except we lost Edelman too.

How was it entirely related to Gronk?

People have been referring to all those guys, even Fitz, as slot receivers for the last couple years. Slot receiver isn't a dirty word anymore.

Except during contract negotiations. :D

Last season Brady was going to Julian too much at one point. Not necessarily because it wasn't effective but because I think a lot of people just wanted to keep Edelman standing up for when the playoffs started. It was blatantly obvious during the SF game that Brady and Edelman were almost treating that game as practice.

That was the San Mateo bros game.

Congrats to mini-tron. He's a guranteed Pats ring of honor player and a potential HOFer

I'm a huge WW fan but there is no denying JE11 has had a more clutch playoff career.

Its kinda like the LeBron vs Larry Legend arguement. LeBron you take over 82 games but in a G7 4th qtr who do you want?

You pick LB33 every time.
I'll go back even further. Jerry West was asked one time whom he would pick to build a basketball team around. Without hesitation, he said, "Wilt." Then he added, "But if I had to win one game and my life depended on it, Russell."

Doesn't he also have the highest punt return average in NFL history?

Had at one point. He's still one of the best of all time.

By that metric, Randall Cobb, Doug Baldwin, and Larry Fitzgerald are also slot receivers, and all make a lot more money than Edelman does. So will Jarvis Landry when he becomes a FA. I think Edelman's pay is partly due to him playing the majority of his snaps in the slot, but I don't think that's the main factor.

Fitzgerald got his contract before he moved to the slot. Neither Cobb nor Baldwin got near top of the market deals, but have the benefit of being far younger than Edelman. Age is also a factor with Edelman. Also, you are talking about more vertical slot receivers.

Being in the slot is a big factor. Slot receivers are not paid as much as X receivers of similar ranking at their position (the highest paid slot receiver gets paid less than the highest paid X receiver). But all the other factors I listed also play a factor.

It is interesting but I don't think it's entirely related to Gronk.

Gronk didn't play during the first three games ( a few snaps in game 3) and a two targets plus a few snaps in game four. He also was injured from game 11 on. Gronk did not play in six of Edelman's last 8 games.

But I do think JE's responsibilities change when Gronk is playing. His yards per catch do decrease when Gronk is on the field so maybe he runs shorter routes. His targets dropped slightly.

I think Edelman numbers first 4 games was a reflection of playing a HS offense for 2 1/2 games. That's essentially what we ran with Brisett.

I'll go back even further. Jerry West was asked one time whom he would pick to build a basketball team around. Without hesitation, he said, "Wilt." Then he added, "But if I had to win one game and my life depended on it, Russell."

Or, 11 championships, for that matter.

I wouldn't pretend to know if they "care deeply about football" or not. I suspect their success might suggest they do, but I don't know. I envy you the fact that you do. You're very fortunate.

Thanks

Nice story on Jules extension by Reiss:
The Julian Edelman story: When a player falls in love with a city and team

quote:

Edelman pushed hard for the deal because of how happy he is with the Patriots.

"Boston loves their athletes, and if you're in, you're in. Boston is also all about what Julian is; you just go to work and grind it out," Frank said. "He loves Boston and everything about the Patriots. There are also a lot of off-field opportunities if you stay in Boston. We'd love to be a Patriot for life."

Frank Edelman also talked about how there was a feeling of appreciation for an organization that gave Julian his NFL start by drafting him, and developing him. One point that was made when contract talks began about two months ago was to never allow it to get to the point where anger or jealousy entered the equation, as the Patriots have a reputation for hard-line stances.
___

and in case its missing . this thread should have Jules word

"You gotta believe."​
_

Edelman is the quintessential patriots/belichick player. 7th round draft pick qb out of college converted to wr. Made his name on special teams and doing whatever bb asked of him, playing some db in 2011 because he was sitting behind mb the best slot wr of all time. Just wants to win and has the same competitive mindset as brady

Then when he got his chance he ran with it for 1k yards and became bradys #1 safety valve and its all history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents