PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman & Pats agree to multi-year contract extension [2 yrs, $11 mil, $9 mil gtd]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding! I'm going to have a hamburger tomorrow to celebrate.

It sucks being the slot receiver in New England (even if he plays outside a lot). He was never going to get a big money contract. It is a nice for him that he will be guaranteed $9 million plus the $4 million he will get this year in salary and workout and roster bonuses. But the poor guy never got big time WR money.

I doubt if he hit the open market next year that he would have gotten better than what he got today. So good for him that he will end his career here.

Really happy to see Edelman get some more dough... he certainly deserves it

Nice. Fun player to have around and a good one too.
His production will probably drop if front stays healthy and cooks fits in as expected but his value won't.

This team isn't great because we have great players. It's great because we have players with the biggest heart.

I love it, Edelman is well worth the money. Especially on such a short deal.

From Miguel, a very manageable increase to the 2017 cap, plus a relatively team-friendly 2018 cap number:

Good for Julian. He's looking at making over $20 million over the next three years if he hits incentives, a good shot at making it back to a Super Bowl, and closing out his career with the Pats.

This is not dissimilar from the 2-year $10 million deal that Wes Welker turned down that landed him in Denver. I wonder if they talked or at least that Edelman looked at the strange journey Welker had in the Spring of 2013. If I recall correctly, Welker had some incentives with the Patriots in addition to the salary that made it $12 million. The Broncos guaranteed $7 million of $12 million over two years.

Wes Welker, Denver Broncos strike two-year contract

Last edited:
It sucks being the slot receiver in New England (even if he plays outside a lot). He was never going to get a big money contract. It is a nice for him that he will be guaranteed $9 million plus the $4 million he will get this year in salary and workout and roster bonuses. But the poor guy never got big time WR money.

I doubt if he hit the open market next year that he would have gotten better than what he got today. So good for him that he will end his career here.

I mean if even Pats fans call him a slot receiver and dont realize that he is more than that then what hope is there for him to get paid as he deserves ?

Basically a 3y/16M deal (along the lines he was earning before in 2017) . since barring injuries to Cooks and Gronk incentives will probably be out of reach.

Last edited:
Side note:

While Julian did turn 31 some days ago . Id still consider this a prime player deal.
He basically only has 4 playing seasons in him. Its true that his extremely aggressive play exposes him to injuries somewhat more . but that shouldn't be confused with wear and tear..

Remember when this kid was getting booed during training camp for flubbing punts while trying to learn how to do that? Or when he was more valuable as a depth DB?

Now he's an all-time Patriot, with huge catches in the last two Super Bowls that will never be forgotten. Just a remarkable career for a 7th-round former QB.

Excellent deal for both sides. The guy deserves a raise and will probably go into the Patriots HOF after he retires.

I have loved his play since his first preseason game when he returned a punt for a TD vs Philly. ( the hey Wes ever heard of Wally Pipp game?) My kids and I were all wearing Pats jerseys and the guy in front turned around and asked,
" where do you find guys like that?" When I replied that he was a college QB, the look on his face was priceless..

Good for Julian. He's looking at making over $20 million over the next three years if he hits incentives, a good shot at making it back to a Super Bowl, and closing out his career with the Pats.

This is not dissimilar from the 2-year $10 million deal that Wes Welker turned down that landed him in Denver. I wonder if they talked or at least that Edelman looked at the strange journey Welker had in the Spring of 2013. If I recall correctly, Welker had some incentives with the Patriots in addition to the salary that made it $12 million. The Broncos guaranteed $7 million of $12 million over two years. Wes never made it back to the Super Bowl.

Umm. . . .

I love it, Edelman is well worth the money. Especially on such a short deal.
He should hit up Steve Smith and find out what his diet and workout routine is.

This is not dissimilar from the 2-year $10 million deal that Wes Welker turned down that landed him in Denver. I wonder if they talked or at least that Edelman looked at the strange journey Welker had in the Spring of 2013. If I recall correctly, Welker had some incentives with the Patriots in addition to the salary that made it $12 million. The Broncos guaranteed $7 million of $12 million over two years. Wes never made it back to the Super Bowl.

Welker made the Super Bowl in his first year with the Broncos. Oh though given how that game turned out he probably wishes he couldn't remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents