PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon Stepping Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Getting rid of Matthews looks worse every day. We were better off just holding on and waiting him out, but they got spooked with the Edelman suspension

They didn't really "get rid" of Mathews.

He injured his hamstring at the very start of Camp and was sent to IR on August 2nd. He requested and received a settlement release on August 7th, which meant that the Pats might have been able to re-sign him as early as week-4.

He was spotted working out at Boston College with Edelman as late as September 15th (week-2). The Pats traded for Gordon a few days later, and Mathews accepted an offer from Philly a couple days after that. He played for Philly in week-3.

As if this guy hasn't gotten empathy? How many 2nd chances has he been given? 10?

And stop over dramatizing with the life in the balance crap. He most likely got popped as usual. It's a simple rule and he somehow thinks he is above it. Weak.

Cold and heartless. Around Christmas too.

We need to be there for Josh so he can mount his next comeback.

As if this guy hasn't gotten empathy? How many 2nd chances has he been given? 10?

And stop over dramatizing with the life in the balance crap. He most likely got popped as usual. It's a simple rule and he somehow thinks he is above it. Weak.
I doubt he thinks he's above it. I think he's one of millions of run of the mill addicts. He's got his brain wired for drugs to release endorphins. It's just what addicts do.The light at the end of the tunnel for these people is usually an on coming train.I'd wish him luck but luck has nothing to do with it.

What I think it basically comes down to is it shouldn't be controversial to observe that the Patriots are a bad football team right now, and barring a dramatic turnaround that probably would've already happened if it was coming, they're not going to do anything in the playoffs. None of us want that to be the case, but it is what it is. It's an annoyance that simply observing that will get you labeled a bunch of dumb **** by a particular subset of posters here who almost never have anything meaningful to contribute to discussion anyway because they're fundamentally incapable of acknowledging the team's flaws.

Acknowledging that we're watching a team with little talent suffering from 4+ years of bad drafting that's resulted in an old, inconsistent, poorly constructed roster doesn't make you a bad fan. It makes you an honest observer of reality, and if you're pissed off about it because it amounts to wasting one of the few years we have left with the GOAT then... well, it should piss you off. Yet the people who've observed that have taken so much crap here that a lot seem to be fed up with this place in general.

Couldn't agree more. So sick and fcking tired of this place, especially on GDTs when you CLEARLY SEE the team playing like utter 5hit, and you can't voice any honest, realistic, factual criticism, without having your *** chewed by some of the homies here, being called chickenshit, etc., by a bunch of morons who think this team is immortal! :mad:

Headline late night February 3 2019

41 year old Tom Brady throws touchdown winning past to 41 year old Randy Moss

That would make up for what should’ve happened in sb42

Josh Gordon's career is pretty much defined by his uncanny tendency to always do the dumbest thing possible at the dumbest time possible. This is just what he does.
It has nothing to do with intelligence.

As many on here know from past discussions, I am a chemistry professor and have a great life. The number of people who can get a PhD (and other degrees) in chemistry is pretty friggin' small.

Well, I have a graduate school classmate who was probably smarter than me, who got his PhD with honors, did a postdoc with a Nobel laureate, became a leading cancer researcher, and then the demons of addiction hit and took hold. He is now a homeless man living somewhere in Arizona.

I have tried and tried to help him, to no avail. This is one of the smartest men I have ever met, who should be directing cutting edge cancer research, and he's on street corners asking for loose change. Dumb or not dumb has no role in it.

Couldn't agree more. So sick and fcking tired of this place, especially on GDTs when you CLEARLY SEE the team playing like utter 5hit, and you can't voice any honest, realistic, factual criticism, without having your *** chewed by some of the homies here, being called chickenshit, etc., by a bunch of morons who think this team is immortal! :mad:

What you just said...and what’s said in the GDT are two totally different things.

GDTs are weird because on one hand like a third of the posts are people declaring the world is over every time the Patriots punt or give up a third down conversion, and OTOH if the Pats do something really poorly and you point it out you get jumped on by people who refuse to acknowledge the team has shortcomings. It's a really weird negative feedback loop where both extremes just end up inciting and amplifying the other.

In general I think GDTs skew way too negative most of the time, just because they're negative as hell even when the Patriots are good. But when the Patriots actually do suck they become frustrating for a whole different set of reasons.

This season is up in smoke.

You realize that this team has been the best ever right?
What’s stupid is that the team has provided its fans with such a level of success that the idiot fans act like it’s THEIR standard and the team is letting them down.
A little maturity would go a long way.

As many on here know from past discussions, I am a chemistry professor and have a great life. The number of people who can get a PhD (and other degrees) in chemistry is pretty friggin' small.

Well, I have a graduate school classmate who was probably smarter than me, who got his PhD with honors, did a postdoc with a Nobel laureate, became a leading cancer researcher, and then the demons of addiction hit and took hold. He is now a homeless man living somewhere in Arizona.

I have tried and tried to help him, to no avail. This is one of the smartest men I have ever met, who should be directing cutting edge cancer research, and he's on street corners asking for loose change. Dumb or not dumb has no role in it.

I've lost a couple of very good friends to addiction, which sadly I think is pretty much the norm these days. It's not a lack of perspective to say that the actions of an addict are exceptionally dumb, and exceptionally intelligent people do dumb **** all the time. In large part because there are many kinds of intelligence, and some of the dumbest people I've ever met were exceptionally intelligent within the narrow fields where they excelled. The stuff that addicts do can basically be described as incredibly dumb actions that are motivated by addiction.

Using your classmate/friend as an example: by your description he was/is incredible intelligent in an academic and scientific sense. He was awfully dumb in the "don't regularly partake in highly addictive substances" sense.

I'm surprised the team hasn't released him. They even put out a supporting statement. Maybe he was transparent with the team and they saw he was truly trying to battle with his issues?

There's no reason for the team to release Gordon. He's voluntarily and publicly left the team, so they'll get a roster exemption for his spot. AFAIK, Gordon's last week of salary is also now deducted from the cap (only about $46k, though).

But dumb is not only measured in IQ or education.
Intelligence is one thing, decision making something else entirely.

GDTs are weird because on one hand like a third of the posts are people declaring the world is over every time the Patriots punt or give up a third down conversion, and OTOH if the Pats do something really poorly and you point it out you get jumped on by people who refuse to acknowledge the team has shortcomings. It's a really weird negative feedback loop where both extremes just end up inciting and amplifying the other.

In general I think GDTs skew way too negative most of the time, just because they're negative as hell even when the Patriots are good. But when the Patriots actually do suck they become frustrating for a whole different set of reasons.
Its typical social media. Unfiltered, immediate raw emotion spew.

Some seriously brutal people on this - perspective is your friend, I guess.

The league has talked about going to 18 games, and ex-players have been vocally against it. "It's too much," is the common complaint. "Their bodies can't take it."

The Patriots play 18, or 19, games every damned year.

This looks like a tired, beat-up team. They've looked that way all year. Emotionally tough loss in the SB, tougher still with the Butler drama.

And yet, here they are through all of that, 9-5 with two very winnable games left, both at home (where they're 6-0). A win, or a Miami loss gives them the division and a home playoff game.

Brady clearly hasn't been in the zone the last few weeks (although he was pretty damned good in Miami). Gronk either.

All of that gets wiped away in the first playoff game. It's a second season, and I'm sure as hell not giving up on this team. They've got as good a chance as any of the other teams in the dance to get to the SB.

We lost Gordon. Boo ho0 - KC just lost Kareem Hunt and a top corner.
Baltimore lost their QB - and they might not even make the playoffs.
The Steelers, but for a few calls against the Pats and particularly the Jaguars, would be 0-5 in their last five.

So losing Gordon hurts, sure. But you know, the guy who's shown the most heart out there of all on this team may well be Patterson. More touches.

And I'm not sleeping on Dorsett at all - he's had a couple o f very strong games.

It's mostly on the shoulders of the big 3 offensively, of course: Brady, Edelman, and Gronk.

Go ahead, bet against them.

Oh, and for Josh Gordon: Best of luck to you. Health first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST