PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon Stepping Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I hearing right that Gordon played in 1 too many games to get that pick back from Cleveland? If so makes you wonder how long the NFL was aware of this failed test and waited until he played in the required number of games before dropping the hammer.

I’m sure this has been said before, but if you can’t straighten up under the Patriot Way with BB running the show and playing with one of the greatest QB’s of all time, then I don’t know what will fix his issues.

I’m not sure if there’s any street FA’s who can give you that speedy deep threat but you never know.

Highly doubtful that any SFA who's never been on the Pats roster would be of much help this late in the season.

Couldn't agree more. So sick and fcking tired of this place, especially on GDTs when you CLEARLY SEE the team playing like utter 5hit, and you can't voice any honest, realistic, factual criticism, without having your *** chewed by some of the homies here, being called chickenshit, etc., by a bunch of morons who think this team is immortal! :mad:

Well stated.

Its been a bad season from the get go. Losing Almendola and Lewis, the draft, the Gonk situation and the cast of characters at WR. Gordon was a life boat that we all hoped would take playing in NE seriously because of Brady and the shot at wearing a ring.

I've lost a couple of very good friends to addiction, which sadly I think is pretty much the norm these days. It's not a lack of perspective to say that the actions of an addict are exceptionally dumb, and exceptionally smart people do dumb **** all the time. They're dumb actions that are motivated by addiction.
Unwise, unhealthy, and nonsensical doesn't mean dumb though. My friend was (is?) one of the most intelligent deep-thinking people I ever knew and all of the intelligence in the world cannot give him the ability to avoid making unwise, unhealthy, and nonsensical choices. He honestly can't control it, because he desperately wants to. He didn't want to chuck away a wife, a child, and a career for the contents of a bottle or vials of powder. Something outside of his intelligence compels him.

What does it say about this year's roster, being dependent on a horrendous drug addict with diminishing WR skills to hold it together? Gordon is our #1 WR, keep in mind. We have drafted 1 legitimate WR in the last decade, and that is former QB/smurf Julian Edelman. We have the 7th best offense in the NFL this year with this collection of scrubs and the walking, geriatric wounded. TFB once again is performing miracles with miniscule support. I am not backing down from my opinion of BB being crap at GM.

Highly doubtful that any SFA who's never been on the Pats roster would be of much help this late in the season.

Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson
Gronkowski
White, Burkhead (put him in the slot), Michel

Brady plays the way we know he can and this team has enough horsepower on O.

The Defense needs to play balls out.

I'm not reading 12 pages of hand wringing...who is replacing Gordon on the roster?

Dorsett and his speed obviously takes his place in the starting lineup,,,RB is set...curious to see which way they go

Good question.

It seems doubtful to me that any brand new WR would help at this point. I suppose they could promote Damoun Patterson from the PS, but then they could promote almost anyone from the PS at any position.

Unwise, unhealthy, and nonsensical doesn't mean dumb though. My friend was (is?) one of the most intelligent deep-thinking people I ever knew and all of the intelligence in the world cannot give him the ability to avoid making unwise, unhealthy, and nonsensical choices. He honestly can't control it, because he desperately wants to. He didn't want to chuck away a wife, a child, and a career for the contents of a bottle or vials of powder. Something outside of his intelligence compels him.

Emotional intelligence is a form of intelligence. I think a lot of the misunderstandings and false dichotomies that seem to be plaguing this conversation come from an overly narrow definition of intelligence. It does not begin and end in academics, there's a whole lot of life that takes place outside of that setting and how you process and manage that counts too.

To tie this back to football at least tangentially, this is a huge part of what makes Brady the GOAT. The guy has an absurd emotional IQ. He understands exactly what it takes to prepare himself for success and leadership and conducts himself accordingly. As a result, basically everyone who's ever worked in any kind of proximity to him swears by the guy. This kind of intelligence and understanding is every bit as rare as any kind of academic intelligence.

Example: my best friend was one of the top students in our high school class. When we were 19, he got addicted to cough syrup, got super messed up and burned down a building. Ended up serving 4 years in prison. This was a very dumb thing to do, and the fact that it was motivated by addiction does not make it any less dumb. Luckily he's rebounded pretty well from the situation, all things considered, and is now living a healthy, well-adjusted life.

Last edited:
I lost a fraternity brother to addiction this year. It's no joke. You can't pull yourself up by your bootstraps. It's a disease and it is terrible. The guy had 2 kids.

Good question.

It seems doubtful to me that any brand new WR would help at this point. I suppose they could promote Damoun Patterson from the PS, but then they could promote almost anyone from the PS at any position.

My best guess is they sign a ST or promote someone from the PS at another position that could use some competition. The likelihood of a WR jumping in and making a difference in the last two weeks (two weeks they still need to win, and thus don't have time for someone to learn the ropes), is low. More likely you see an uptick in role for Patterson, Dorsett, more plays designed to cause confusion so Hogan gets ignored (joking), and perhaps some 2 RB sets with White or Burkhead splitting out wide. No one replaces Gordon in his role exactly at this point.

From my experience with my friend I'd say it's a impossible for him to stay sober as it would be for me to decide to never pee again. It is an urge that can't be consciously controlled. I guess that's why I argue it's not intelligence because, with his brain chemistry, it is not a choice, or at least it is not a choice he can make or control, no matter how hard his focuses on what would be the right and wrong thing to do.

So am I hearing right that Gordon played in 1 too many games to get that pick back from Cleveland? If so makes you wonder how long the NFL was aware of this failed test and waited until he played in the required number of games before dropping the hammer.

No that part of the trade was changed, the Pats still have to send a 5th rd pick to Cleveland, the Pats are gong to get a 7th rd pick back from Cleveland. All the active for x many games parts and the contingency of the 7th rd pick going to NE were changed before the trade was finalized.

We were actually better before he came. Maybe he was a drama element

What "dumping" are you referring to last year?

I regularly took dumps all over the Chicken Littles last year. See my GDT breakdowns.

Not sure how that's relevant but I wasn't around much last year, but am discussing now and disagree with your righteous tone on how people should view the Patriots.

Who is being righteous besides you in this thread? People can view the Patriots how they wish. That doesn't exclude them from getting criticized. That's how a message board works.

Also, you continue to make strawman arguments and act like you defeated them.

Please point out where said straw man argument occurred. I'd love to see if you grasp the definition of exactly what that is.

Nobody is saying the team is without flaw.

There are PLENTY of people who argue vehemently against whatever flaws the Patriots have. One of them just patted himself on the back for predicting Gordon would fail at the worst possible time on page one or two.

Nobody is saying the Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl.

Believing that the Patriots aren't out of it is also believing that the team has a realistic shot of winning the Super Bowl. If you didn't think that, you'd think they were out of it and would say as much.

My argument has been on your crap categorization of fans who are remaining positive, think the team still has a shot, pointing out that other teams have flaws yet they do so because they're "bandwagon" fans who "can't see reality."

Then you had an absolutely terrible comprehension of my categorization of front runner or bandwagon fans. Maybe instead of getting immediately triggered/offended and flying off the handle (only to get your head handed to you), try reading the post again next time and checking for proper comprehension.

Also, your Jags comparison is so lame and irrelevant. That was 3 games into the season and they have no track record. Better yet, no Patriots fan (even ones that aren't counting them out yet) have ever said the Pats have no flaws like your comparison.

It's lame because it defeats whatever point you were trying to make here. But it's far from lame and even further from irrelevant. That you're trying to dismiss it as so tells me that you're pretty well aware of the weakness of whatever argument you're attempting to construct. All fan bases have fans like that. Using my experience with Jags fans was just a comparison. The Patriots are no different. We have posters here every single day that turn threads into pissing contests in an attempt to dismiss those that point out the flaws in this squad. We saw this with the following two examples:

• Attempting to point out that Shelton might not be the answer to the run D's problems.
  • Attempting to point out that the team didn't do enough to address the WR position.
The posters I'm referring to were even still trying to argue their point even after the results were in on the season. Shelton has now been benched and the team traded for a WR that just smoked/drank/snorted his way out of town due to desperation.

The Patriots are still eyeing a first round bye and have repeated success with BB/TB. Also, the playing field has very clearly evened out toward the end of the year, with no real team legitimizing themselves as a clear favorite. Considering all of those factors, a lot of us don't think the Pats are out of it. You'll misconstrue this post as an overzealous/head in the sand post by a fan who thinks things are rainbows but that's just par for the course for you recently.

Actually, if your reading comprehension wasn't total garbage, you would see a post from me, directed at you, stating that you're not the kind of fan that I'm talking about. But it was too late by that point because you were already triggered. You're out of your depth here, guy. Next time, calm down and read the post you're responding to before flying off the handle.

That was originally the deal (conditional pick) but it was amended. Pats are getting the 7th rounder regardless.

I know we’re supposed to feel for the guy and say it’s okay but this is ridiculous. It’s always a circus with this guy. How many times has he needed to “step away from football” now? He violated the substance abuse policy again and cost himself a chance at all the money he could ever need. I know it’s not his fault blah blah blah but at some point it’s about personal responsibility. Stay off drugs for a few years.
Wow, somebody's awful judgy today.

From my experience with my friend I'd say it's a impossible for him to stay sober as it would be for me to decide to never pee again. It is an urge that can't be consciously controlled. I guess that's why I argue it's not intelligence because, with his brain chemistry, it is not a choice, or at least it is not a choice he can make or control, no matter how hard his focuses on what would be the right and wrong thing to do.

I thought the same about my best friend, whose spiraling addiction landed him in prison from ages 19-24. He's still an addict in the sense that relapse will remain a distinct possibility for the rest of his life, and it's only extreme diligence in avoiding dangerous situations and substances that give him any real hope at staying clean. And to his credit, a decade and a half in he's done an admirable job of managing that.

But that's the bed he made with a series of incredibly dumb actions, and it is what it is. I'm optimistic that he'll hold it together, and I've been one of the main parts of his support network throughout and will remain that way whether he stays sober or relapses, but if he does relapse that will be an exceptionally dumb result of a decades-long series of dumb choices.

I just fundamentally don't see the conflict in acknowledging that highly intelligent people are certainly capable of doing unfathomably stupid things to put themselves in bad situations. I had other academically intelligent friends whose addictions led them down dark paths that resulted in their deaths. For them, this is an exceptionally stupid and pointless endpoint to lives that otherwise might have amounted to something if they hadn't been so dumb as to start down the path toward addiction in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST