PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana sounds jealous of Brady

Tom Brady is just a vastly superior version of Joe with a vastly superior legacy. Brady grew up idolizing the former GOAT until he destroyed the former GOAT and his legacy by miles.

Joe has 4 rings and Brady has 7 rings
Joe has 3 sb mvps and Brady has 5
Joe has 2 mvps and Brady has 3
Joe has 16 playoff wins and Brady has 34
Joe's peak<<<<<Brady's peak
Joe's prime <<<<<< Brady's prime
Joe's longevity <<<<< Brady's longevity
Joe's stats <<<<< Brady's stats
Joe's 4th quarter comebacks in the RS, playoffs, and SB <<< Brady's comebacks
Joe went to a new team and took them to the AFC championship game. Brady went to a new team and won them a superbowl. LOL

It's literally "anything you can do I can do better" and Brady is still adding insult to injury. No one would be surprised if Brady won another regular season MVP and/or super bowl ring and/or super bowl MVP this season.

To Joe's credit I think I saw an interview with him earlier this year where he said that "Brady took his place up top a long time ago" (refering to Brady being the GOAT) but I think he was basically forced to say that otherwise he would look like a bitter fool.

Tom Brady is just a vastly superior version of Joe with a vastly superior legacy. Brady grew up idolizing the former GOAT until he destroyed the former GOAT and his legacy by miles.

Joe has 4 rings and Brady has 7 rings
Joe has 3 sb mvps and Brady has 5
Joe has 2 mvps and Brady has 3
Joe has 16 playoff wins and Brady has 34
Joe's peak<<<<<Brady's peak
Joe's prime <<<<<< Brady's prime
Joe's longevity <<<<< Brady's longevity
Joe's stats <<<<< Brady's stats
Joe's 4th quarter comebacks in the RS, playoffs, and SB <<< Brady's comebacks
Joe went to a new team and took them to the AFC championship game. Brady went to a new team and won them a superbowl. LOL

It's literally "anything you can do I can do better" and Brady is still adding insult to injury. No one would be surprised if Brady won another regular season MVP and/or super bowl ring and/or super bowl MVP this season.

To Joe's credit I think I saw an interview with him earlier this year where he said that "Brady took his place up top a long time ago" (refering to Brady being the GOAT) but I think he was basically forced to say that otherwise he would look like a bitter fool.

yeah he did on first take after the Super Bowl this year - but it was basically Stephen A Smith saying Brady is the goat for about three months then asking him
A question - Joe would’ve looked like an absolute idiot if in that spot he didn’t say Brady was the goat.
Brady is the undisputed GOAT of football there is no discussion.

a bloke who lives and breathes football.

I reckon with the current supportive class in NEP he would throw for 35+

Joe Montana has been passively aggressive in public against Brady since at least 2007.
Joe said Brady is the GOAT :

...my thought is the game is much more "rough" now because the base athlete now a days is what would have been top tier in that era. just a lot more resources for athletes to get to the top shape and a lot more competition

I was/am a big fan of Montana but it seems like he can't help but throw in some attitude when it comes to Brady in media interviews. I know he admitted Brady was the goat years ago but if I remember that interview, the reporter asked him a direct question and he literally couldn't say no without looking terrible.

From Montana's perception, he sees all the rule changes, and thinks that that would have saved him back then.

Apparently he doesn't watch the games enough to see what actual effect the rule changes have had on hitting the QB.

I was/am a big fan of Montana but it seems like he can't help but throw in some attitude when it comes to Brady in media interviews. I know he admitted Brady was the goat years ago but if I remember that interview, the reporter asked him a direct question and he literally couldn't say no without looking terrible.

I remember the interview and I think the same thing. He had to protect himself and so he answered a certain way or he would look ridiculous. I have no problem if he actually thinks he's the GOAT, I mean whatever. There have been many great players throughout history.

From Montana's perception, he sees all the rule changes, and thinks that that would have saved him back then.

Apparently he doesn't watch the games enough to see what actual effect the rule changes have had on hitting the QB.
Not just that - Brady didn't start 10 years ago. He started 20+ years ago and won 3 SBs in the 'old' days. Montana doesn't have the fire power to win the 4 Brady won in the 'offensive era' imo.

I remember the interview and I think the same thing. He had to protect himself and so he answered a certain way or he would look ridiculous. I have no problem if he actually thinks he's the GOAT, I mean whatever. There have been many great players throughout history.

I’m still think Sammy Baugh was probably the greatest quarterback ever, if the quarterback position itself is based on an evolving role rather than the modern understanding of a guy who primarily passes the ball. But I think when most people talk about the all-time great QBs, they’re talking about what we see today.

I’m still think Sammy Baugh was probably the greatest quarterback ever, if the quarterback position itself is based on an evolving role rather than the modern understanding of a guy who primarily passes the ball. But I think when most people talk about the all-time great QBs, they’re talking about what we see today.
Ya I have no idea who that even is so can't comment. Bias will always exist and if we all don't kill ourselves first they may not consider Brady top 3 in 100 years.

I love how some media pump up Montana by saying he's perfect in SB's. Sure he's 4-0. He also went one and done three straight years. He underachieved plenty. But he gets credit for somehow not making the SB more. Would you rather have 4 Gold Medals or 7 Gold Medals with 3 Silvers? I'll take the latter please.

Someone in the media brought up: "Look what he did with the 93 Chiefs. Got them to a championship game against a superior Bills team". Cool. He lost. So there's a fail right there. Brady got the Bucs to a championship game against the favored Packers in Lambeau. And won.

Montana might've played in an era where football was tougher physically. But he also played in an era without free agency. An era where the NFC was way superior than the AFC. Every SB Brady was in was against a juggernaut, great team, or team just as good as Pats. 07 Giants may not have had a great regular season. But they were a great team.

Brady passed Montana as soon as James White scored that game winning TD in SB 51.

The debate is no longer who the best QB ever is. The debate is who is 2-5.

Long story short, Brady passed Montana long ago.

I love how some media pump up Montana by saying he's perfect in SB's. Sure he's 4-0. He also went one and done three straight years. He underachieved plenty. But he gets credit for somehow not making the SB more. Would you rather have 4 Gold Medals or 7 Gold Medals with 3 Silvers? I'll take the latter please.

Someone in the media brought up: "Look what he did with the 93 Chiefs. Got them to a championship game against a superior Bills team". Cool. He lost. So there's a fail right there. Brady got the Bucs to a championship game against the favored Packers in Lambeau. And won.

Montana might've played in an era where football was tougher physically. But he also played in an era without free agency. An era where the NFC was way superior than the AFC. Every SB Brady was in was against a juggernaut, great team, or team just as good as Pats. 07 Giants may not have had a great regular season. But they were a great team.

Brady passed Montana as soon as James White scored that game winning TD in SB 51.

The debate is no longer who the best QB ever is. The debate is who is 2-5.

Long story short, Brady passed Montana long ago.

He was also 4-0 during a time when the NFC won from 1983-1997. All the other NFC quarterbacks were 11-0 during that stretch. Those three one and dones were so bad, they brought in Young.

1634565229037.png

He was also 4-0 during a time when the NFC won from 1983-1997. All the other NFC quarterbacks were 11-0 during that stretch. Those three one and dones were so bad, they brought in Young.

View attachment 36722
The fact that some people think those three one and dones are better than Brady losing three Super Bowls is incredible.

It's not like he was losing shootouts while putting up 300+ yards and 3+ touchdowns either.

The question to ask is whether or Montana could've matched Brady's six rings if he was Belichick's QB during his coaching tenure in New England. Brady's answered the question with the seven rings and the other counting stats, but man, Joe Montana was freakin good.

Just sayin…the hit on Joe in 1991 that derailed his career...in 2021 we’d call that completely legal. Marshall didn’t hit his head or hit him low. Not trying to pile on, but it’s fair to say this had nothing to do with the rule differences. Montana made a fateful mistake in winding up like that with no awareness Marshall was closing in on him. We’ve always seen Brady’s sixth sense like awareness of stuff like this.

View attachment 36441
Is that the Gintz? Those guys lol... they can't ever REALLY be a great dynasty but they sure can derail other peoples
This one always makes me laugh. Him playing it off as "one of those guys, I cant remember, won seven or nine championships..." He knows damn well it was Graham and he won seven but he's trying to play it off as being casual and humble.
Speaking of comparing across eras... for a guy not playing for New England, I really gotta love Brady. I used to think "Man. Graham. 7 rings, well, nobody does that in this era..." Now I don't.

Graham was doing it in 8 and 7 team leagues sometimes. Come on man. Pretty easy to go "deep in the playoffs" in that situation. I don't know why nobody considers that.

Montana did it over a lot of years, and I used to marvel at his career. Back then, for you youngsters, it was extremely common to not just say he was the GOAT, but to say we'll never see anybody even at his level again. Ha.

He was like Brady in beta, and he inspired the real Brady. Seriously, if there's no Montana, maybe Tom doesn't take it as far as he did.

Montana ought to hate the Giants more than anyone because if not for them he plausibly has another ring or two.

Graham was doing it in 8 and 7 team leagues sometimes. Come on man. Pretty easy to go "deep in the playoffs" in that situation. I don't know why nobody considers that.

Graham won 4 in the AAFC and 3 in the NFL. The AAFC was a B-League, though it was superior to a minor league level of play. It had a lot of good players.

4-0 in AAFC (won 4 in 4 years)
3-3 in NFL (won 3 in 6 years; lost championship game all other times.)

So, I think it‘s fair to say Graham won 3 official rings and probably 5 if you use a simple adjustment. Incredible to make 6 NFL Championship Games in a row, and 10 overall Championship Games in a row.

Graham won 4 in the AAFC and 3 in the NFL. The AAFC was a B-League, though it was superior to a minor league level of play. It had a lot of good players.

4-0 in AAFC (won 4 in 4 years)
3-3 in NFL (won 3 in 6 years; lost championship game all other times.)

So, I think it‘s fair to say Graham won 3 official rings and probably 5 if you use a simple adjustment. Incredible to make 6 NFL Championship Games in a row, and 10 overall Championship Games in a row.
But once again, what's the achievement level?

Starting at the merger, there were 13 teams in the NFL at the time. (W/7 -8 teams in the AAFC before the merger)

You won 1 playoff game, then it was the Super Bowl. And by the way, that 1 playoff game was against a "division" rival (at that time called a conference rival)

Carrying your team to victory over 12 other teams ain't nothin', but how do we equate it with beating 31 other teams?

Put another way, let's postulate you're the difference-maker at QB, all other things being equal (much more the case for Brady).

All things being equal, from a standing start, in the modern game repeating as the SB winner is close to a 1 in 1,000 bet (a 1 in 32 bet twice, before, of course, the first game is won.)

With 13 teams, it's 1 in 169.

Why do we always act like winning a 13-team league is just like winning a 32-team league?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back