PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana sounds jealous of Brady

But once again, what's the achievement level?

Starting at the merger, there were 13 teams in the NFL at the time. (W/7 -8 teams in the AAFC before the merger)

You won 1 playoff game, then it was the Super Bowl. And by the way, that 1 playoff game was against a "division" rival (at that time called a conference rival)

Carrying your team to victory over 12 other teams ain't nothin', but how do we equate it with beating 31 other teams?

Put another way, let's postulate you're the difference-maker at QB, all other things being equal (much more the case for Brady).

All things being equal, from a standing start, in the modern game repeating as the SB winner is close to a 1 in 1,000 bet (a 1 in 32 bet twice, before, of course, the first game is won.)

With 13 teams, it's 1 in 169.

Why do we always act like winning a 13-team league is just like winning a 32-team league?

When has anyone said the two are equivalent?

When has anyone said the two are equivalent?
Some time between 1946 and the present. There are going on 8 billion people on the planet. Somebody's said it.

edit to be more literal: every time we try to compare Otto Graham to anybody, that's just not in context. Then again, TFB finally caught him at 7 rings... real ones, mind you.... and he might not be done.

Some time between 1946 and the present. There are going on 8 billion people on the planet. Somebody's said it.

edit to be more literal: every time we try to compare Otto Graham to anybody, that's just not in context. Then again, TFB finally caught him at 7 rings... real ones, mind you.... and he might not be done.
Oto played in a league that had like 8 teams, no cap and didnt even play other leagues. Sorry hard to compare those to Brady's superbowls.

Oto played in a league that had like 8 teams, no cap and didnt even play other leagues. Sorry hard to compare those to Brady's superbowls.
Agree... that's why posts 57 and 60 in this thread

Who cares? Dude only has 4 rings.

Brady’s records are getting so staggering, the NFL has stopped showing them in bulk lately because it so decisively eclipses all their other present and future stars. The playoff win count now is just getting absurd. I remember when he just passed Montana and the top 5 list was mostly all single digits.

Yes, most players today are bigger, stronger, faster, but it's hard to compare on physique alone. Aaron Donald and Myles Garrett are monsters but then so were Bruce Smith, Randy White and Lawrence Taylor. In general I do believe you're right about today's athlete, but there were a lot of crazy strong chiseled dudes back then as well.

Some of the hits from way back on QBs were just lethal. Like the stuff that use to happen to Steve Grogan. Or even worse, Joe Kapp. Look up Joe Kapp and it's funny as hell seeing him get wrecked in the worst way possible.

Some of the hits from way back on QBs were just lethal. Like the stuff that use to happen to Steve Grogan. Or even worse, Joe Kapp. Look up Joe Kapp and it's funny as hell seeing him get wrecked in the worst way possible.
I do agree the hits they used to take back then were pretty gruesome. However a good hit from today's freaks of nature I can argue would be as bad.

I do agree the hits they used to take back then were pretty gruesome. However a good hit from today's freaks of nature I can argue would be as bad.
If you just picked up a QB from the 70's and planted him in the middle of a game today, he would be scared to death at the size and speed of players. Everything is relative to the times you live in. Everything that players do in the time they exist in is measured against everyone else. A player today would have a heck of a lot better chance going back in time and playing than a player then coming to right now. The worst NFL team in the league would beat the 72 dolphins by 60 points if there was a time machine.

I use to love Montana but the way her handles questions about TB made me lose all respect for him, just once I'd like to hear him say something positive about TB.

I use to love Montana but the way her handles questions about TB made me lose all respect for him, just once I'd like to hear him say something positive about TB.

He likely thinks of Brady just like Shula thought of Belichick but can’t bring himself to put his ass out there.

He likely thinks of Brady just like Shula thought of Belichick but can’t bring himself to put his ass out there.

Still love Joe. He was super clutch. He can't deal with tb12 clearly surpassing him. It's not even a debate .

For Shula, total **** but I'm surprised at how many more wins it will take for BB to surpass him.

Not only is Joe salty about Brady leaving him in the dust, many believe Mahomes is going to get to his 4 rings in a few years.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back