PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JJ Watt might be on the block

If we're getting the JJ Watt from 5 years ago, I'd say yes. But not the JJ Watt of the past 2 years who is earning 15m per year and has had trouble staying healthy while averaging 4.5 sacks per season.

1) Is Watt an upgrade over Bentley?

2) How much would he cost?
=======
Like anyone else, he future expected performance is the issue, not how he played in the passed. So, the question is whether he is worth what it would require. I suspect that answer is likely to be "no".
===============
Personally almost any pick would be lot for a play with a 1 year contract for $17.5M. I suppose, a pick is possible if Watt is willing to negotiate a lower contract. It is more likely that he is simply cut.
=============
It seems likely the HOU will need to dump Watt and Cooks.

Last edited:
Trade for him to play 4-6 games...no thank you

1) Is Watt an upgrade over Bentley?

2) How much would he cost?
=======
Like anyone else, he future expected performance is the issue, not how he played in the passed. So, the question is whether he is worth what it would require. I suspect that answer is likely to be "no".
===============
Personally almost any pick would be lot for a play with a 1 year contract for $17.5M. I suppose, a pick is possible if Watt is willing to negotiate a lower contract. It is more likely that he is simply cut.
=============
It seems likely the HOU will need to dump Watt and Cooks.

Bentley and Watt play entirely different positions. Why are you even comparing them?

Bentley and Watt play entirely different positions. Why are you even comparing them?
Why compare anybody with Bentley? Maybe I said that wrong. Compare anybody with Bentley and there would be an improvement. I don't get the approval of him. I rarely see him make a play. Not saying never, just saying rarely.

Certainly not a contract guru, but I'd welcome him if his contract was able to be reworked. He'd be a nice veteran addition but if we're relying on him to be a full time starter - no thanks.

If the Texans are serious about moving on he will be cut. Nobody will take on 17.5m AND give away a pick for a 32 year old Watt.
This is exactly the only way I'd consider him...def wouldn't take that contract

Have never really believed that a defensive lineman making $20M a year impacted winning enough to overcome the holes it creates elsewhere on the roster. Maybe at his absolute peak and when he played 16 games he was worth it but those days are long gone. The Texans allegedly had great DL multiple years and they never went anywhere.

I think this is a statement that could be said about any position group on the field (with the exception of QB). There seem to be lots of teams that have elite units, be a disruptive DL, four deep at WR, the best LB in the game, etc, etc, and those teams don't win. Hell, even the Patriots had one of the best OL this year AND one of the best secondaries, and it wasn't enough. Balance is the key, and devoting 20m to one non-QB player makes that balance much harder.

Can we trade for his brother instead?

If Caserio has decided that the Texans no longer need/want JJ Watt, he should release him... If he cuts him loose early, he can engender some positive thoughts from the players who remain on the roster, and quite frankly, he needs that... I do wonder what he could get for him anyways... a 4th or 5th, maybe? he'll be 32 next season... so its not like he's ancient... but he has had some serious injuries over the past few years, despite making it thru 2020 pretty much unscathed...

No, he's on the decline and would be too expensive probably.
But I personally just don't like the guy. I know thats stupid to say and I don't personally know him, but he just seems like he's phony and bugs me.

JJ is in the last year of his contract that is set to pay him $17.5 million for 2021. There is no way he sees that. Nobody is going to trade for that contract because they know that Houston is going to cut him. It saves 17.5 million on the salary cap with zero dead money.

So Watt will be a FA come the new league year. No way that the Pats will want to bring in JJ for a year, that really doesn't make sense for a team that will be rebuilding. I could see Watt signing with Pittsburgh to play with his brothers, or go to some other contender.

JJ is in the last year of his contract that is set to pay him $17.5 million for 2021. There is no way he sees that. Nobody is going to trade for that contract because they know that Houston is going to cut him. It saves 17.5 million on the salary cap with zero dead money.

So Watt will be a FA come the new league year. No way that the Pats will want to bring in JJ for a year, that really doesn't make sense for a team that will be rebuilding. I could see Watt signing with Pittsburgh to play with his brothers, or go to some other contender.
releasing him pretty much takes care of the texans cap overage... easy decision to make

Not the watt you want In 2021

JJ watt will go to Tampa Bay or packers for 8 million a year. Tampa Bay might be better due to taxes and weather...

JJ watt will go to Tampa Bay or packers for 8 million a year. Tampa Bay might be better due to taxes and weather...
isn't Watt from Wisconsin?

dude sucks......he's broken

It makes perfect sense from the team perspective (at the right price). Watt is the exactly the type of veteran presence that Belichick would love to bring in to a young locker room. Belichick will never willingly tank .

However, I agree that it makes more sense from Watt's perspective that he would want to join a contender. Green Bay is an obvious match as a hometown team, an elite level contender, and a team that is set to lose some DL Depth in free agency.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back