PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JJ Watt might be on the block

Trade for the beast?

Nope. If he was one of the potential missing pieces to put them over the top I'd be all over it. For now I'd rather them focus on acquiring young players. The Pats are at least 2 years away from being competitive.

Watt would have excited me 5 years ago, now I would only pay him as a veteran backup type, around the $7m a year range at most

JJ is in the last year of his contract that is set to pay him $17.5 million for 2021. There is no way he sees that. Nobody is going to trade for that contract because they know that Houston is going to cut him. It saves 17.5 million on the salary cap with zero dead money.

So Watt will be a FA come the new league year. No way that the Pats will want to bring in JJ for a year, that really doesn't make sense for a team that will be rebuilding. I could see Watt signing with Pittsburgh to play with his brothers, or go to some other contender.

Nostradamus

Will he want to play for a contender on a one year deal for less money? We will see. Tune in.

Will he want to play for a contender on a one year deal for less money? We will see. Tune in.

If he does, that likely won't be the Pats. But on a reasonable deal, I'd love to add him as a rotational player to this DL. He should be able to give us more than Chris Long did in 2016 (and I mean that Chris was a good player for us too).

If he does, that likely won't be the Pats. But on a reasonable deal, I'd love to add him as a rotational player to this DL. He should be able to give us more than Chris Long did in 2016 (and I mean that Chris was a good player for us too).
Green Bay Pitt or KC calling my shot now

Watt would have excited me 5 years ago, now I would only pay him as a veteran backup type, around the $7m a year range at most

Yea . Not opposed to getting him if it's not an overpay. I still want LB or DLine Defense with our first pick.

Can see him going to win-now teams like Pitt, TB or KC.

Yea . Not opposed to getting him if it's not an overpay. I still want LB or DLine Defense with our first pick.

I think we need a few pieces on the DL (even if we re-sign Guy), so I wouldn't be against both. Watt, 1st rd DL, and another space eating run stuffing DL. Basically, I want a good chunk of our resources this offseason to go towards making the DL a strength.

Tampa,GB or Pitt

...and people worry about Jimmy being too injured to finish a season ?

...and people worry about Jimmy being too injured to finish a season ?

The difference here would be Watt is part of a rotational group that is routinely putting at least three of his position on the field for every play. If Jimmy gets hurt, losing your starting QB is a bigger dropoff than losing one DL.

i bet he comes here for reasonable money just to be coached by Bill. He's the kinda guy that responds well to lunch at the Ground Round.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back