PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jared Goff may be available [update: traded to Lions]

Flash

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

More from The Athletic:

“Jared Goff is a Ram at this moment,” Snead said on Tuesday. “It’s way too early to speculate (on) the future. That’s a beautiful mystery.”

“Moving on from Jared Goff, that’s – the money we’ve invested in him, that’s not easy to overcome,” he said. “This is a cap-based system. … Anything can be done in a cap-based system. Anything can be done. I think you all have seen that occur in the NFL…

“With a cap-based system, you can move money around, allocate it to different positions, different players, things like that. But with that, there’s always going to be a yin and a yang and a sacrifice somewhere.”

I don’t think they’re getting out of that contract, but they also should have never gotten assets in return for Alec Ogletree or Brandin Cooks’ guaranteed salaries yet somehow managed to. Only have to fool one GM into thinking he has value.

Goff & Wentz were never as good as they were, at times hyped. Goff has won some game in this League. The contract is horrendous. He’s an upgrade over Newton as a passer, but even if you overlook the financials, why bother ? Goff isn’t going to get you to another championship.

I like Goff. Unfortunately he’s the type of player who destroys your team just because of the amount you have to pay him. Having QBs outside the top 8 or so and paying them market is a killer.

Goff is a guy who in the 1980s or 1990s could have won a Super Bowl or two with a great team around him. He’s a good player, very competent but not spectacular.

I like Goff. Unfortunately he’s the type of player who destroys your team just because of the amount you have to pay him. Having QBs outside the top 8 or so and paying them market is a killer.

Goff is a guy who in the 1980s or 1990s could have won a Super Bowl or two with a great team around him. He’s a good player, very competent but not spectacular.
He’s no better than Jimmy G
Or a coached up Marcus Mariota

I feel Goff could be of interest to whoever misses out on stafford. Colts, Niners, WFT, Bears. I don’t think we will be in the mix.

So all but maybe 7 teams the league apparently hate their qb

Do the Rams have a very different definition of impressed than me?

He won his regular season start 18-7 in a game where the Rams scored 7 points on defense.

Then got knocked out in his 2nd start after throwing for 29 yards.

So basically a really poor man's JimmyG.

Cap-wise this speculation makes more sense than some of the others that are being floated around recently. Trading Goff would give the Rams $12.75 million of extra cap space (with $22.2 mil of dead cap money from the prorated signing bonus). Not ideal, but workable.

Problem is finding a trade partner willing to live with Goff's guaranteed salary of $43 million over the next two seasons. In 2021 Goff has a $27.5 mil guaranteed salary, and in 2022 he has $15.5 mil guaranteed plus another $15.5 mil for a roster bonus.

It's not as if John Wolford (who began 2019 playing minor league football in the AAF) lit it up in his two games last year. One regular season game: 58% pass completions, 231 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int. One postseason game: 3/6 for 29 yards; left with an injury after not knowing how or when to slide.

QB who requires his HC calling in plays because he struggles to read a defense doesn't seem like a natural fit in BB's read and react offense.

Can we make a thread for every QB in the league given seemingly everyone is in play per “sources”?

A lot of these comments could also be applied to Jimmy G, I find the difference in attitude because of 1.5 games he had here quite amazing.

A lot of these comments could also be applied to Jimmy G, I find the difference in attitude because of 1.5 games he had here quite amazing.

The coaching staff was incredibly high on Jimmy G and apparently still is though. I think that coupled with the 1.5 games here has most including me thinking maybe he's just not a fit for the niners offense.

But might be a perfect fit for the Patriots. Bill drafted him to run the brady offense

The coaching staff was incredibly high on Jimmy G and apparently still is though. I think that coupled with the 1.5 games here has most including me thinking maybe he's just not a fit for the niners offense.

But might be a perfect fit for the Patriots. Bill drafted him to run the brady offense
I am not very high on Jimmy. He is injured a lot, not really clutch, doesn’t throw a lot of TD, throw some picks but he could be a good game manager and definitely is the QB that make the most sense for the Patriots

He’s no better than Jimmy G
Or a coached up Marcus Mariota
Jimmy G is made of glass. Jimmy’s peak is also lower than Goff’s. If people want Jimmy because he’s cheaper, then I don’t want to hear everyone cry when he gets injured and start making excuses. You want a bargain bin price you get what you pay for.

Mariota is not a QB in this league and there is no basis for thinking he can sniff Goff’s jock strap. And Goff isn’t even that good lol. Mariota is basically Cam last year with a few less rushing TD’s and a few more passing TD’s. Seriously just take away 5 rushing TD’s from Cam and make them passing TD’s and him and Mariota have extremely similar stat lines. Both guys who can only handle a low volume of attempts. Very little production but decent completion percentage. Bill would play him the exact same way he played Cam.

You’ll pay more than Goff but he’s better and more reliable

Can we make a thread for every QB in the league given seemingly everyone is in play per “sources”?

So far we've kept on pace to do exactly that. And somehow every new name that gets brought up is "better" than the others.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back