PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Develin on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all stays in the present I'd rather have Wynn and Dev

Agree 1000%.
Some posters in this thread don't fully understand everything Develin does for this offense. See(End of regular season,playoff run and Super Bowl)
He's way more integral and valuable than Harry.
I like Harry and his potential but Dev and Wynn are obviously much more important. Harry could be a stud next year.

I rather have harry and wynn back. These guys upfront have to do a better job of opening holes.

fair enough

However, I believe that many players at the bottom of the roster might be put on IR, just in case, and others hired and put on the 53.

In any case, the larger the roster, the LESS the advantage to the patriots. The more restrictions, the better for the patriots. The more complicated any rules or situations, the better for the patriots. For example, the patriots would BENEFIT from a 45 man roster, since they would be hurt much less than other teams.
=====
Also, consider the other side. Shouldn't a team put on the IR any player with a minor injury so that he can rest for a couple of weeK? If there is no limit, the roster would include only fully healthy players. And yes, there would be lots and lots of the IR.

BTW, are you saying that players like Harry couldn't be brought back without limit?
I couldn't imagine the Patriots or any team stashing large numbers of uninjured players from the active roster onto IR in that scenario -- it would be transparent abuse. I'd think the league would have safeguards against that, probably including the ability to verify injuries.

I rather have harry and wynn back. These guys upfront have to do a better job of opening holes.
Devlin and Wynn get my vote. In the colder months, the running game and blocking is more important than trying to teach a rookie WR how to play in the nfl (assuming that he has improved his skill set to compete at the nfl level)

The PS is very flexible in that you can release and bring back players from it without waivers involved. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to increase the PS, but it wouldn’t really be necessary.
Players absolutely have to go through waivers when the team wants to move them from the 53 to the PS.

More on Develin's neck injury: Patriots fullback James Develin dealt with a stinger in the preseason and the residual effects of that could have played a factor in the neck injury that landed him on injured reserve Monday. Develin told those close to him that a review of his blocking technique in Week 2 against Miami showed he was leading more with his shoulder in that game, which was a result of compensating from having experienced a stinger. As for what is ahead for Develin, a neck injury at a position known for its high-impact collisions is a scary combination, and I'd be surprised if Develin returns to action this season off the IR list.
Phillip Dorsett II honors father with name on back of jersey

As usual good stuff from Reiss. Very unfortunate about Develin. Reiss is usually on the money and the fact that he doesn't think James will be back this year doesn't bode well. He'll be badly missed both in run and pass game.
People seem to overlook what he meant on passing plays. 21,usually a run grouping, has been of the most successful groupings on pass plays for the Pats. More often than not, Develin was one of the 2. Our offense is now way more predictable and less physical.
At least it's early enough that Pats will have plenty of time to establish other options. Watson coming back will help some. Wynn coming back will help a lot.

As usual good stuff from Reiss. Very unfortunate about Develin. Reiss is usually on the money and the fact that he doesn't think James will be back this year doesn't bode well. He'll be badly missed both in run and pass game.
People seem to overlook what he meant on passing plays. 21,usually a run grouping, has been of the most successful groupings on pass plays for the Pats. More often than not, Develin was one of the 2. Our offense is now way more predictable and less physical.
At least it's early enough that Pats will have plenty of time to establish other options. Watson coming back will help some. Wynn coming back will help a lot.

the writing was on the wall with the timing. I don't think we would have Ir'd Develin if there was a good chance he would be back.

Agreed. 21 has not looked good and with Burkhead hurting I wonder what they will do? Does Johnson get some snaps? Sony?

Agreed. 21 has not looked good and with Burkhead hurting I wonder what they will do? Does Johnson get some snaps? Sony?

Seems like Johnson needs to be ready if they're going to run two back sets.

This part is my favorite:

2. Brady's drive at 42 makes impression on free agent: An agent for a player who recently worked out for the Patriots relayed how it was an early Friday morning at Gillette Stadium, and his client had to be at the facility at 5:30 a.m. to start the day with physical examinations. When the player arrived, he was struck by one thing in particular: Tom Brady was already at the facility. The player didn't get signed by the Patriots, but still left with a good story to tell -- about a 42-year-old quarterback who is still as motivated as ever.

21 was so successful in the past and last year specifically because of Gronk and the dual threat he posed and not Develin. We will miss him but lets keep things in perspective here.

21 was so successful in the past and last year specifically because of Gronk and the dual threat he posed and not Develin. We will miss him but lets keep things in perspective here.

Well yeah, it obviously goes without saying Gronk was the key guy to that success. Dont even need to mention that.
I assumed everyone knew that. But Develin was the #2 key guy with 21 in the pass game. You got Gronk AND Develin the D obviously has to be run heavy.
Pats could still sell the deception with Watson in there-yeah he's not gronk but if you're the DC, what are YOU gonna do vs. 21 with Develin,Watson and Sony?
And the Pats would not have had the same success passing in 21 w/o Develin even WITH Gronk.
So yeah,let's keep things in perspective here.
Having BOTH of them what made it work.

I assumed everyone knew that. But Develin was the #2 key guy with 21 in the pass game. You got Gronk AND Develin the D obviously has to be run heavy.

You could sell this with any FB really. The only question is if you can get one that you trust as much as Develin in blocking / being able to catch the occasional pass when spread out.

But the key to the look being so efficient was Gronk because the Pats could morph into empty pass look out of it depending on what the opponent's DC decided to do against it.

Go heavy and Brady has some mismatches on LBs or go light and the running game would have it easier. Gronk was the lynchpin because having him on the field means both approaches are equally efficient.

Players absolutely have to go through waivers when the team wants to move them from the 53 to the PS.

You probably missed my initial post. I know they do currently but was proposing a change where they would not be subject to waivers.

You could sell this with any FB really. The only question is if you can get one that you trust as much as Develin in blocking / being able to catch the occasional pass when spread out.

But the key to the look being so efficient was Gronk because the Pats could morph into empty pass look out of it depending on what the opponent's DC decided to do against it.

Go heavy and Brady has some mismatches on LBs or go light and the running game would have it easier. Gronk was the lynchpin because having him on the field means both approaches are equally efficient.
This is what I find funny. People say we are too predictable with Michel on the field. Michel has been 74 snaps and run 45 times.
That is 60% run. When you look at down and distance, game score and personnel groupings it really isn’t so predictable, but on the 40% of the plays we throw we are more successful than in any other situation.
60/40 predictability is genius offense.

This is what I find funny. People say we are too predictable with Michel on the field. Michel has been 74 snaps and run 45 times.
That is 60% run. When you look at down and distance, game score and personnel groupings it really isn’t so predictable, but on the 40% of the plays we throw we are more successful than in any other situation.
60/40 predictability is genius offense.
Yep. This year the run/pass w/ Michel is much more balanced.

The issue is Tom doesn't throw to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back