PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Develin on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could sell this with any FB really. The only question is if you can get one that you trust as much as Develin in blocking / being able to catch the occasional pass when spread out.

But the key to the look being so efficient was Gronk because the Pats could morph into empty pass look out of it depending on what the opponent's DC decided to do against it.

Go heavy and Brady has some mismatches on LBs or go light and the running game would have it easier. Gronk was the lynchpin because having him on the field means both approaches are equally efficient.

You contradicted yourself in back to back sentences, while helping to get my point across.
You said you could this with any fb.
Then you pretty much summed up why you couldn't in the very next sentence.
There ARE no fbs like Develin any more.
That's the whole point.smh

Are you saying Sony is capable of catching balls even though hasn't had to prove it because the offense is incredibly efficient?
I’m saying that in the offense the RB on the plays that Michel is in there for is only a blocker or a checkdown 4th or 5th option.
Prior to today we average over 10 yards per play when he was in there, so yes those plays were extremely efficient and there was no need to check down.
Are you saying we should use plays designed to get receivers open downfield, ignore them and dump it off so sony can have a catch?

What makes you think he is incapable of catching passes?

I mean seriously you ha e been a fan long enough to know the way the offense works.

Dion freaking Lewis got 9 targets in 7 games in that role.

I’m saying that in the offense the RB on the plays that Michel is in there for is only a blocker or a checkdown 4th or 5th option.
Prior to today we average over 10 yards per play when he was in there, so yes those plays were extremely efficient and there was no need to check down.
Are you saying we should use plays designed to get receivers open downfield, ignore them and dump it off so sony can have a catch?

What makes you think he is incapable of catching passes?

I mean seriously you ha e been a fan long enough to know the way the offense works.

Dion freaking Lewis got 9 targets in 7 games in that role.
I know the lead RB doesn't get the catches. I'm not saying Sony needs to be James White 2.0 but not be catching screens, shoot ,flat I think hurts this offense. When he can't run ( not entirely his fault) it hurts

I know the lead RB doesn't get the catches. I'm not saying Sony needs to be James White 2.0 but not be catching screens, shoot ,flat I think hurts this offense. When he can't run ( not entirely his fault) it hurts
But it’s the play call and success of the early progressions, not him. Throwing to the rb in the situations, and personell groups he is in for mostly only happens when everyone else is covered. We’ve been fortunate that it hasn’t happened.

But it’s the play call and success of the early progressions, not him. Throwing to the rb in the situations, and personell groups he is in for mostly only happens when everyone else is covered. We’ve been fortunate that it hasn’t happened.
I think this is where we see it differently.

Your position is Sony is not/doesn't really need to be part of the passing game which is fine and historically supported.

My position is he should see a few plays now and then as it will help diversity the attack (especially if games like yesterday continue).

My issue is if TB wants to audible out of a run, because Sony is useless he's not a respected target.

I don't get your point here. What do you mean respected target ? Do you think the opponents will leave him uncovered ? Who cares if he is respected or not.

The issue would be if your own team doesn't trust you to be consistent catching the ball. Nobody cares whether the other team respects him or not. The reality is that if he is on the field the opponents will not be in sub. Knowing this you can use what they is your tendency against them and that has worked pretty well so far on play action.

I don't understand why people want balance here. It would literally make play action less effective.

Seeing that this thread began as one about a FB, I will leave this here:

Jake Johnson kinda stunk yesterday; he missed more blocks than he made...and that's not good.

There are a dozen - if not two dozen - FBs on the street with experience & enough skill to perform lead FB duties better than this guy.

The feel-good story was nice, but it's time to get serious Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back