PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Develin on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're missing the obvious result of a yo-yo system involving non-tethered players, and the obvious change that would need to be made. That may well be because I didn't explain well enough. Suffice it to say that you can't have a yo-yo system with non-tethered players. So, what the PS is now would have to change, and that's what you seem to have missed in my explanation.

But, and no offense to you is meant, I'm not really interested enough in this topic continue, since this is a non-issue for the immediate future, and this is getting well into the weeds even if it were an immediate issue.

I didn’t miss your point; I just don’t agree with it. Untethered players coming and going off the practice squad would not be the problem you see it being.

As for being in the weeds, the idea of activating PS players to fill game day roster spots is not my idea. It’s actually addressed as an option in the current CBA. The Commissioner has the right to allow teams to activate PS players if a communicable disease prevents a team from filling its game day roster. So, it’s not an absurd thought the owners and players might see it as a way to give teams more flexibility to field a healthy roster to start the game in the next CBA.

This is what I find funny. People say we are too predictable with Michel on the field. Michel has been 74 snaps and run 45 times.
That is 60% run. When you look at down and distance, game score and personnel groupings it really isn’t so predictable, but on the 40% of the plays we throw we are more successful than in any other situation.
60/40 predictability is genius offense.

I agree. I never fully understood why people are arguing that Michel NEEDS to contribute in the passing game otherwise are too predictable. The success on play action says otherwise.

As you have implied.. if you are aware what others think is a "tell" you can easily manipulate it to your own favour.

Yep. This year the run/pass w/ Michel is much more balanced.

The issue is Tom doesn't throw to him.
The personell group and type of throws we are using makes that a non issue. We are averaging over 10 yards a pass when Michel is on the field because his presence opens up downfield stuff. No reason to throw to him.

Yep. This year the run/pass w/ Michel is much more balanced.

The issue is Tom doesn't throw to him.
It was 65/35 last year and much of the difference is probably due to his carries when killing the clock

Pre-game on NBSBH they showed Develin on the field in sweats and he did that neck-crack thing you do by putting your fist on your jaw and turning your head to the side -- once each side. Made me wonder if he can do that with a supposedly injured neck, how bad can it be?

Pre-game on NBSBH they showed Develin on the field in sweats and he did that neck-crack thing you do by putting your fist on your jaw and turning your head to the side -- once each side. Made me wonder if he can do that with a supposedly injured neck, how bad can it be?
I saw him also and wondered what he was doiung on the side line with a neck injury se serious he out for the season i believe. After all he could get hit unintentionally, i also thought it wascuriousa that he wasn't wearing any kind of neck brace.

I agree. I never fully understood why people are arguing that Michel NEEDS to contribute in the passing game otherwise are too predictable. The success on play action says otherwise.

As you have implied.. if you are aware what others think is a "tell" you can easily manipulate it to your own favour.
To me, the point is that if Michel never catches a pass it ultimately makes the offense less effective because if he doesn’t get a handoff defenses don’t have to worry about him coming out of the backfield.

To me, the point is that if Michel never catches a pass it ultimately makes the offense less effective because if he doesn’t get a handoff defenses don’t have to worry about him coming out of the backfield.

Which means a) play action will be more efficient because teams buy into the run more, b) they can bait teams into heavy formations purposefully to exploit it and c) if he then comes out and catches the ball it will be even more unexpected.

Tendencies are only a negative if you are not aware of them.

The personell group and type of throws we are using makes that a non issue. We are averaging over 10 yards a pass when Michel is on the field because his presence opens up downfield stuff. No reason to throw to him.

If he was a threat today he might have helped

Agree and I don't see that as a good thing.
Why? It never has been.
Smith
Dillon
Maroney
Bjge
Ridley
Blount

None were used as receivers because the role isn’t conducive to it. When you have your “run group” or “run/pass neutral” group out there you use the RB for play action or blocking and open up passes down the field.

Even dion Lewis caught few passes in that role.

In dion Lewis first 7 games as the #1 run he had 9 targets and 8 catches.

Then burkhead and white got hurt and in the next 4 he had 19/17 because he was playing a dual role.

It’s the nature of the role.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they do.
But his role is to block and be a safety valve. In most cases when he is on the field he is in a package that puts the defense in a package susceptible to down the field throws.
Through 3 games we averaged over 10 yards per pass play when he was on the field.
Why is that a problem?

Of course they do.
But his role is to block and be a safety valve. In most cases when he is on the field he is in a package that puts the defense in a package susceptible to down the field throws.
Through 3 games we averaged over 10 yards per pass play when he was on the field.
Why is that a problem?
I think the offense would perform better if he was at least a threat to catch a pass. We will see. No need to respond.

I think the offense would perform better if he was at least a threat to catch a pass. We will see. No need to respond.
The pass plays that he is in in would have to fail for him to be targeted as a low progression. They haven’t.

Why? It never has been.
Smith
Dillon
Maroney
Bjge
Ridley
Blount

None were used as receivers because the role isn’t conducive to it. When you have your “run group” or “run/pass neutral” group out there you use the RB for play action or blocking and open up passes down the field.

Even dion Lewis caught few passes in that role.

In dion Lewis first 7 games as the #1 run he had 9 targets and 8 catches.

Then burkhead and white got hurt and in the next 4 he had 19/17 because he was playing a dual role.

It’s the nature of the role.
I get that

My issue is if TB wants to audible out of a run, because Sony is useless he's not a respected target.

The top 4 you mention caught a 14-25 balls. They were options. Sony is not.

I get that

My issue is if TB wants to audible out of a run, because Sony is useless he's not a respected target.

The top 4 you mention caught a 14-25 balls. They were options. Sony is not.
Sure he is.
We have had tremendous success throwing with him on the field.
The rb is a 4th or 5th profession, or a blocker.
Not getting to his progression because someone else is open doesn’t mean he isn’t a threat.

Sure he is.
We have had tremendous success throwing with him on the field.
The rb is a 4th or 5th profession, or a blocker.
Not getting to his progression because someone else is open doesn’t mean he isn’t a threat.
Are you saying Sony is capable of catching balls even though hasn't had to prove it because the offense is incredibly efficient?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye