PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jabrill Peppers signs with N.E.

How well can he play man?
Or are we moving to a more zone look?
Looks like he played in the slot far more than on the outside. So he might not even be the right guy unless teams think he could play outside too.

Given the team's needs and depending on what you mean by high, this would be a very questionable move.

Depends on which year you're looking at the need. My general philosophy is that first rounders (up to a certain point, and 21 is nearing that line) should be able to contribute in year 1 more often than not, so taking for need there is crucial. But beyond that? There's a good chance you're not getting a "need filling" type of contribution until year two, besides the occasional quick starter. So in this case, if they took a guy that projects to FS who may not be ready until year 2 in the 2nd round, that's still filling a need to me... just for 2023. It's hard to plan on a rookie filling any holes in year one, to be honest.

$5M is quite a bit for his role. I wonder how much is incentives.

This team needs a proven NT badly in order get the most out of these box safeties (Dugger, Phillips, Peppers) & hopefully lighter, smaller LBs. Travis Jones would help complete the D IMO.
Exactly right ... If youre gonna plat with small lbs you need big tackles who can play

Welcome “Jabrill Peppers One High Safety Band”. Next up. “The Magical Mediocrity Tour”.

Depends on which year you're looking at the need. My general philosophy is that first rounders (up to a certain point, and 21 is nearing that line) should be able to contribute in year 1 more often than not, so taking for need there is crucial. But beyond that? There's a good chance you're not getting a "need filling" type of contribution until year two, besides the occasional quick starter. So in this case, if they took a guy that projects to FS who may not be ready until year 2 in the 2nd round, that's still filling a need to me... just for 2023. It's hard to plan on a rookie filling any holes in year one, to be honest.
You make some good points. To clarify, if they took a high-quality S prospect in the 2nd round, I could live with that—just not at 21.

It means you have to know how to use him. He's better against the run. Not so much in pass coverage.

I'm not saying what it is in his case, but it usually means that he can't actually do all those things, at least at the NFL level. When a guy can do everything, but he can't stick on a team and can't get good contracts, it's almost always 1 or more of 3 things:

1. Can't stay healthy
  2. Is an *******
  3. Isn't really very good at anything

When you've been on multiple teams, and have been in the league for 4+ years, you usually are what you are.

Still complaining?
Michael Cohen Yes GIF

Peppers played offense & defense in college.

Belichick loves guys who can play multiple positions.

I don’t expect him at RB, but with Bill, you never know.

Really like the signing. Gives us some depth and speed on D and he can also return punts and kicks. McCourty, Dugger, Philips, Peppers, Bledsoe is a really good safety room. With Mills, Butler, Jones and Wade all very likely to make the team, there is probably only room for one rookie CB too along with a Terrence Mitchell type. CB room isn't high end but it's filling out.

I'm starting to feel the draft is going to bring a WR early and we'll also try and tap into the o-line and d-line depth on day 2.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back