PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater staying on in spiritual advisor role?

Matt 'Easterby' Slater, give him a few years and he'll be staging a coup in Houston
I’m stunned it took this many posts for an Easterby reference to get dropped

i dont see the need. and I am a matthew slater fan... but (there is always a but, isn't there?)... we don't need preachers

we need guys like steve mcmichael who used to prowl the combat zone til the wee hours of the morn...

need some 'tude back...

Diversity, inclusion, kinder and gentler. Understanding and caring for players as people. Counseling, preaching ... warm hugs and smiles all around. Kumbaya. The new "Patriot Way." :(

Last edited:
Diversity, inclusion, kinder and gentler. Understanding and caring for players as people. Counseling, preaching ... warm hugs and smiles all around. Kumbaya. The new "Patriot Way." :(
So...

we suck again GIF

Delighted hes back helping to steer the good ship.

I'll hold comment on the bible in hand comment. Even as an atheist.

Its very clear the guy is a practicing Christian. what he carries in his hand is no ones business and its a leap to suggest hes there as a spiritual leader. seems like a bit of **** stirring if i'm being honest.

Delighted hes back helping to steer the good ship.

I'll hold comment on the bible in hand comment. Even as an atheist.

Its very clear the guy is a practicing Christian. what he carries in his hand is no ones business and its a leap to suggest hes there as a spiritual leader. seems like a bit of **** stirring if i'm being honest.

Lol, too funny...

Man, I am 1000% behind Coach Mayo... I believe he can be a difference maker... And I really didn't want to bag on Matthew slater... I do like that Cap is staying on in a different capacity... Would prefer him coaching though... He's smart and has more than earned his stripes while playing the game...

This off season is just... It feels different, and at the same time, it isn't... A real life Catch-22 we are experiencing? I wish Yosarrian was here to offer some insight, lol...

I think the best chance of success is going to come when the Pats completely break from the Belichick playbook... We haven't seen that yet... It feels like more of the same, and I do not think that it is the correct approach...

The Kraft family is being too influential this off season... they have kept the modus operandi of BB in place... the Pats long ago adopted BBs plan for player signings & free agency, and despite one larger than expected signing, it's been business as usual... I understand why - the allure of a responsible (rigid?) financial structure in an ever evolving player market is a powerful force to overcome... But it's not 2015 anymore... I fear it's not going to work without Belichick here to drive the bus... It's made me a little salty I guess...

Lol, too funny...

Man, I am 1000% behind Coach Mayo... I believe he can be a difference maker... And I really didn't want to bag on Matthew slater... I do like that Cap is staying on in a different capacity... Would prefer him coaching though... He's smart and has more than earned his stripes while playing the game...

This off season is just... It feels different, and at the same time, it isn't... A real life Catch-22 we are experiencing? I wish Yosarrian was here to offer some insight, lol...

I think the best chance of success is going to come when the Pats completely break from the Belichick playbook... We haven't seen that yet... It feels like more of the same, and I do not think that it is the correct approach...

The Kraft family is being too influential this off season... they have kept the modus operandi of BB in place... the Pats long ago adopted BBs plan for player signings & free agency, and despite one larger than expected signing, it's been business as usual... I understand why - the allure of a responsible (rigid?) financial structure in an ever evolving player market is a powerful force to overcome... But it's not 2015 anymore... I fear it's not going to work without Belichick here to drive the bus... It's made me a little salty I guess...

All I care about is wins. And I don't like being told to "be patient" after plunking down another $3k-plus.

All I care about is wins. And I don't like being told to "be patient" after plunking down another $3k-plus.
I get the I want what I pay for sentiment... The Krafts need to re-learn that lesson... It's a new day... They need to be prepared to "burn some cash" in the near future... 2024 & moving forward is a new day in New England... People will start exercising their objections with their wallets sooner rather than later...

Football players are human beings with private lives and personal problems. Guiding rookies through the challenges of fame and helping them learn how to become professionals can't be left to luck. There is also a part of the locker room who are religious and want to be able to observe their faith at work, on Sundays. None of that is new and most teams have some provision for religious services. Easterby created a lot of negative feelings because he was a hypocrite who was more interested in gaining power than creating a harmonious work place. He carried himself as a judgmental **** who alienated the players that actually needed help. Based on his time as a player Slater will not be like that and will be available to all players, not just the religious ones. He was a go to leader as a player, transitioning to this role is a natural progression.

I don’t believe for a minute that this is being thrust on any player that doesn’t want to participate. Players aren’t robots, if some need or can use a spiritual advisor, what’s the harm?

I don’t believe for a minute that this is being thrust on any player that doesn’t want to participate. Players aren’t robots, if some need or can use a spiritual advisor, what’s the harm?
You're right. I work for a global company with more than a few employees. And as you can tell, I'm quite disturbed. Let me look around for our spiritual advisor. Hang on.

Checks under desk. No. Looks around Office. No. Gets up, checks bathrooms, nursing room, regional director's office, break room, server room, mailroom. No, no, no, no, no, no. Sits back down. He's not at this office. Opens intranet on company website and does comprehensive search. No. Nothing. Checks healthcare site. No. But they do have mental health services. Hmm, I'll check that later.

Yeah, no spiritual advisor at this company. No wonder people here are lost and completely out of their minds.

You're right. I work for a global company with more than a few employees. And as you can tell, I'm quite disturbed. Let me look around for our spiritual advisor. Hang on.

Checks under desk. No. Looks around Office. No. Gets up, checks bathrooms, nursing room, regional director's office, break room, server room, mailroom. No, no, no, no, no, no. Sits back down. He's not at this office. Opens intranet on company website and does comprehensive search. No. Nothing. Checks healthcare site. No. But they do have mental health services. Hmm, I'll check that later.

Yeah, no spiritual advisor at this company. No wonder people here are lost and completely out of their minds.
Maybe that’s just your company? I’ve worked at 3 really large companies (each > 100 k global workforce) and they have all had some sort of spiritual employee group, like some sort of club that employees can join if they wish to do so. That’s not my thing but if someone else wants to attend a 15 minute prayer thing twice a week, have at it.

I can't see how having a Patriots icon, a 10X Pro Bowl Player, and son of a HOF player can do anything but help the young guys on this team. He is rooted in NE, a great family guy.

I am about as anti-religion as it gets but I think having Slater around is some advisory role for the players is a great idea. I know Slater is super religious but he doesn't seem to be one of the guys who needs to force it into every conversation. He also has a great perspective as a long time NFL athlete as well as the son of an athlete and seems like a very down to earth guy.

Good questions all…

“He strolled in, Bible in hand, ready to take on a new, somewhat unidentifiable, role with the Patriots.”
I do know that he's a Professing Christian, and that while a player he often associated with other Professing Christians on the team for Christian Fellowship in addition to the general fellowship of the locker room.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back