PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Ian Logue
Matthew Slater may be done playing football, but it appears he’ll still have a presence with the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

The post Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

“Look, I love the game of football. I love everything that it entails and as I transition into this next phase of my life, certainly, I’d love to be involved how ever I can in a way that makes sense for my family and I,” said Slater. “But I think about culture building, pouring into young men, and sharing the experience that I had as a player with the next generation. Now, that may not be as a coach. I’m not aspiring to be a head coach like those two guys, but maybe that’s as a member of a staff or in some type of supportive role. So I’m very much open to that, and we’ll just see what the future holds.”​

I think Slater could be very helpful for a number of reasons. First of all he played in the NFL so very recently, therefore he can relate to the current players. Secondly, his career performance and accolades give him instant credibility. Third, a new staff could always use a helping hand. The only potential downside is 'too many cooks in the kitchen', but I don't see that being an issue considering Slater's personality.

Advisor = chaplain?

I think this is a fantastic thing. I’m very happy he will be supporting the team.

“Look, I love the game of football. I love everything that it entails and as I transition into this next phase of my life, certainly, I’d love to be involved how ever I can in a way that makes sense for my family and I,” said Slater. “But I think about culture building, pouring into young men, and sharing the experience that I had as a player with the next generation. Now, that may not be as a coach. I’m not aspiring to be a head coach like those two guys, but maybe that’s as a member of a staff or in some type of supportive role. So I’m very much open to that, and we’ll just see what the future holds.”​

I think Slater could be very helpful for a number of reasons. First of all he played in the NFL so very recently, therefore he can relate to the current players. Secondly, his career performance and accolades give him instant credibility. Third, a new staff could always use a helping hand. The only potential downside is 'too many cooks in the kitchen', but I don't see that being an issue considering Slater's personality.

I actually mentioned this on Twitter to Evan Lazar that I hoped the Pats had him as a mentor type role for new players and rookies..

I actually mentioned this on Twitter to Evan Lazar that I hoped the Pats had him as a mentor type role for new players and rookies..
This is good move and Slater is the perfect for chaplain role. Probably a role that he held informally as a player. He is the real deal and seems to connect with all the players without coming across as someone who thinks that they are above it all. I still can't believe that he was roommates with Julian Edelman when they were rookies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back