PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brian Flores really ready to become a HC???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it's time to go poach a DC elsewhere.
I wouldn't mind Aaron Glenn.
Schiano is a possibility as well.
Real dark horse Marvin Lewis
Why not

Rex Ryan?

Fair enough, and I agree with you, but that's not really the main reason for the Rooney rule as I understand it.

Of course it's not the main reason lol. I was actually responding to your statement, "I guess it gets them practice in going through the interview process, but that doesn't seem worth it." Flores' interviews with some teams may well be Rooney Rule checklists for them but that doesn't mean he isn't gaining in the process. The heightened visibility alone is beneficial

I am surprised because being a HC is more than "X's & O's" which all of our past assistants were at least somewhat competent at. It is the overall roster building (hiring and firing so to speak) that will make or break these young men.
Flores is a different cat. There seems to be an inspirational quality to him. I dunna know...just something different about him.

I don't get it sporting the 7th in points D that blows against the run?? IF Flores can get serious consideration our DB Coach should too.:confused:
Josh Boyer has never coached the front 7.....thats the next move for him.

Not about being ready he's not being paid like Josh so if he gets offered any HC job he should take it, you can't turn down a contract that's fully guaranteed and will likely be 8x your current salary maybe even more.

If he gets a head coaching job that's going to be $15m+ guaranteed.

Life changing money for him.

Jesus, thank you. I'm tired of people acting like football is a holy quest. If I'm him I don't give a **** if I'm ready or not I'll pocket all the money I need in case I never work again and give it a shot.

He's probably not ready, but man, if I was trying to find a new HC for my team, I would not want to go with one of the re-treads who is a losing coach from another team, which is all that seems to get interviewed. I would be looking for the next hot young prospect!

Flores has a very well-rounded coaching career.

It's clear to me BB saw something in him and put him in roles which would make him well rounded.

Offense, Special teams, Defense, Scouting

As coach:
I don't know if that makes him ready but hes a helluva lot more qualified than other coaches who are current HCs

Flores has a very well-rounded coaching career.

It's clear to me BB saw something in him and put him in roles which would make him well rounded.

Offense, Special teams, Defense, Scouting

As coach:
I don't know if that makes him ready but hes a helluva lot morBrian Flores - Wikipediae qualified than other coaches who are current HCs

Never forget:

Flores is known for substituting Malcolm Butler in the closing seconds of Super Bowl 49. Flores is seen on NFL Films yelling "Malcolm Go." Butler would then intercept Russell Wilson to clinch Super Bowl 49.

Brian Flores - Wikipedia

Certainly a Cat like quick moment in time...

I think the rooney rule is completely backwards. They should be doing that at the high school level and college level. To me it tells me there's racist owners/executives in the league.

That's not a surprise.

I'm not a fan of the Rooney rule. It seems patronizing. Black coaches get interviewed just to fulfill the requirements of the rule. I guess it gets them practice in going through the interview process, but that doesn't seem worth it. And I'm a fan of affirmative action in general (thread derail warning), just not with this implementation.
I actually think the reverse. Affirmative action is problematic because it dictates results/outcomes. I like the Rooney rule because it gets these guys in the mix.

Coaches that wouldn’t have been spoken to—not because of racism necessarily but because they simply weren’t known as much—will get into the interview process. And from that, good things can happen.

He's about as ready as Vrabel was last year. So... no.
I’m not sure Vrabel is bad necessarily. Didn’t do anything in particular to make the team worse than they were last year.

Why is it assumed he’s a bad HC?

With so many vacancies to fill around the league, ready or not he may be a NFL head coach.

Vrabel was only an inexperienced DC for one year and Houston was the 32nd and worst defense in the entire league that year. So Vrabel is the biggest example of an undeserving candidate who became a HC based on his resume at the time.

Last edited:
Fair enough, and I agree with you, but that's not really the main reason for the Rooney rule as I understand it.

Although in this case, the process is probably very good for Flores. He'll learn a lot, about himself and the process.

I don't know whether or not he's ready, but I'd rather lose McDaniels than Flores. It's not that I don't value McDaniels, it's more that it's critical for a team with a longstanding HC/GM to infuse new blood and continue to evolve. McDaniels' offensive tactics and concepts have already been largely assimilated by the Patriots' offensive brain trust, while Flores, a natural leader with a bright future, is just starting to put his stamp on the defense.

I'd like to see what he can do as the actual D coordinator in 2019/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes