PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm on Team Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the guy as well. Seems like a talented kid, but he couldn't have been dropped into a worse situation. Brutal Boston sports media, following the goat, best OL coach of all time retires, worst skill position talent in the league, mediocre OL...need I go on. The kid is in a horrible spot.

Again where do you get the mediocre o line crap? Please.

Wynn unproven. Thuney good, but hopefully traded. Andrews medical issue. Mason took step back in 2019. You saw Cannon play last year, didn't you?

Now subtract Dante from the coaching mix

All of that results in an optimistically mediocre OL.

I like the guy as well. Seems like a talented kid, but he couldn't have been dropped into a worse situation. Brutal Boston sports media, following the goat, best OL coach of all time retires, worst skill position talent in the league, mediocre OL...need I go on. The kid is in a horrible spot.
Well, he could have been dropped into a worse spot, like any kid drafted to play quarterback by the Browns or Jets or Redskins over the past decade.

Wynn unproven. Thuney good, but hopefully traded. Andrews medical issue. Mason took step back in 2019. You saw Cannon play last year, didn't you?

Now subtract Dante from the coaching mix

All of that results in an optimistically mediocre OL.

Man all reports are Andrews will be ready to go. Thuney good. Wynn impressed as basically a rookie. Mason got better as he seemed to get over whatever injury. Cannon is the wildcard no doubt but I am sure BB has a plan.

Good is the baseline. Above average to very good is possible.

Well, he could have been dropped into a worse spot, like any kid drafted to play quarterback by the Browns or Jets or Redskins over the past decade.

How do you know he didn't drop into a similar situation? Have you seen our roster?

Man all reports are Andrews will be ready to go. Thuney good. Wynn impressed as basically a rookie. Mason got better as he seemed to get over whatever injury. Cannon is the wildcard no doubt but I am sure BB has a plan.

Good is the baseline. Above average to very good is possible.

Do you remember why Dante came back? You seem to have not mentioned his loss. Why?

How do you know he didn't drop into a similar situation? Have you seen our roster?
Are you seriously comparing the whole Patriots organization, not merely the roster, with three of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL?

Do you remember why Dante came back? You seem to have not mentioned his loss. Why?

It will make an impact no doubt. That is the only major problem I see though.

Are you seriously comparing the whole Patriots organization, not merely the roster, with three of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL?

I'm simply comparing them to the 2020 New England Patriots talents level.

I've seen Stidham. I don't need to watch more. He's not a Brady/JAG clone.
And Jimmy, had an awful 4Q in the SB when the game was on the line. Brady has been to 8 and never had a 4Q like that

O-line was mediocre at best last year and awful for a lot of the season. Hopefully it is better this year.

When was this?

According to this article, it was 3 years ago:

Report: Belichick offering Brady to 49ers led QB to leave

The contract hasn't been signed, but Tom Brady will be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer in 2020.

After two-plus decades. Brady decided to leave the New England Patriots for greener pastures away from Bill Belichick in Florida. But how did we get here?

Brady's decision reportedly wasn't made on a whim. The wheels for him to move on from the Pats were set in motion three years ago, sources told Bleacher Report's Matt Miller.

As the 2017 season approached, the Patriots faced a conundrum about what to do with their future at quarterback. Brady was aging, and then-25-year-old Jimmy Garoppolo was waiting in the wings. When would be the right time to move on from the greatest quarterback in history?

The 49ers called at the trade deadline, and after general manager John Lynch claims he jokingly asked about Brady, the teams agreed on a deal that sent Garoppolo to the Bay Area.

But that might not have been how it went down.

According to Miller, the 49ers originally called about Garoppolo, but Belichick instead offered Brady, wanting to keep the young quarterback to extend the Patriots' dynasty. A Patriots source confirmed to Miller that this is what happened, but team owner Robert Kraft squashed the idea of trading Brady.

"Kraft shut that s--t down fast," a source close to Belichick told Miller. "So, instead, Lynch gets Garoppolo, but Brady, Belichick and Kraft haven't been the same since Tom learned that Bill was ready to get rid of him. And that lit a fire under his ass."

Brady, fueled by Belichick's desire to ditch him for Garoppolo, took the Patriots to two more Super Bowls, winning one. All the while, the legendary quarterback restructured his deal, so the Patriots wouldn't be able to franchise tag him and he'd be free to leave.

After the Patriots were eliminated by the Tennessee Titans in the AFC wild-card round last season, Brady made no attempt to contact the Patriots about a new deal, per reports. Belichick didn't make some grand gesture to mend fences, either. So on Tuesday, Brady announced he'd be leaving the Patriots to pen his final NFL chapter elsewhere.

[RELATED: How Brady joining Bucs makes 49ers' schedule less daunting]

The Bucs weren't always Brady's endgame, but it appears leaving the Patriots might have been in the cards for a while.

Brady reportedly preferred to go to the 49ers, but Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan elected to stick with Garoppolo, sending Brady to choose between the Bucs, Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers.

Brady's plan to leave the Patriots will end with him heading to Tampa, whenever the deal is finalized. And it reportedly started three years ago, when Belichick tried to ship Brady away and fractured the greatest dynasty in sports in the process.

What Did Jarrett Stidham’s First Preseason Tell Patriots About Young QB?

But Stidham also impressed in last year’s preseason. Exhibition numbers usually are taken with a grain of salt, but let’s quickly see how Stidham’s preseason stats stack up to Patriots potential successors of the past as rookies:

- Stidham: 61-90, 731 yards, four touchdowns, one interception, 8.1 yards per attempt, 102.6 passer rating
- Etling: 20-of-38, 178 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions, 4.7 yards per attempt, 52.3 passer rating
- Brissett: 38-56, 387 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, 6.9 yards per attempt, 93.4 passer rating
- Garoppolo: 46-79, 618 yards, five touchdowns, one interception, 7.8 yards per attempt, 99 passer rating
- Mallett: 38-63, 357 yards, one touchdown, one interception, 5.7 yards per attempt, 72 passer rating
- Hoyer: 29-44, 354 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, 8 yards per attempt, 98.1 passer rating

Last edited:
According to this article, it was 3 years ago:

Report: Belichick offering Brady to 49ers led QB to leave

The contract hasn't been signed, but Tom Brady will be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer in 2020.

After two-plus decades. Brady decided to leave the New England Patriots for greener pastures away from Bill Belichick in Florida. But how did we get here?

Brady's decision reportedly wasn't made on a whim. The wheels for him to move on from the Pats were set in motion three years ago, sources told Bleacher Report's Matt Miller.

As the 2017 season approached, the Patriots faced a conundrum about what to do with their future at quarterback. Brady was aging, and then-25-year-old Jimmy Garoppolo was waiting in the wings. When would be the right time to move on from the greatest quarterback in history?

The 49ers called at the trade deadline, and after general manager John Lynch claims he jokingly asked about Brady, the teams agreed on a deal that sent Garoppolo to the Bay Area.

But that might not have been how it went down.

According to Miller, the 49ers originally called about Garoppolo, but Belichick instead offered Brady, wanting to keep the young quarterback to extend the Patriots' dynasty. A Patriots source confirmed to Miller that this is what happened, but team owner Robert Kraft squashed the idea of trading Brady.

"Kraft shut that s--t down fast," a source close to Belichick told Miller. "So, instead, Lynch gets Garoppolo, but Brady, Belichick and Kraft haven't been the same since Tom learned that Bill was ready to get rid of him. And that lit a fire under his ass."

Brady, fueled by Belichick's desire to ditch him for Garoppolo, took the Patriots to two more Super Bowls, winning one. All the while, the legendary quarterback restructured his deal, so the Patriots wouldn't be able to franchise tag him and he'd be free to leave.

After the Patriots were eliminated by the Tennessee Titans in the AFC wild-card round last season, Brady made no attempt to contact the Patriots about a new deal, per reports. Belichick didn't make some grand gesture to mend fences, either. So on Tuesday, Brady announced he'd be leaving the Patriots to pen his final NFL chapter elsewhere.

[RELATED: How Brady joining Bucs makes 49ers' schedule less daunting]

The Bucs weren't always Brady's endgame, but it appears leaving the Patriots might have been in the cards for a while.

Brady reportedly preferred to go to the 49ers, but Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan elected to stick with Garoppolo, sending Brady to choose between the Bucs, Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers.

Brady's plan to leave the Patriots will end with him heading to Tampa, whenever the deal is finalized. And it reportedly started three years ago, when Belichick tried to ship Brady away and fractured the greatest dynasty in sports in the process.

Read the article. Heard it roundly and loudly debunked by local media.

I'd like to see him go 3 drives without a pick 6.

Of course I'm rooting for him but words from people aren't going to make me think the QB position is solved.

Sounds like you are talking about Brady's last couple of games.

I’m on team Brady/AB. We’re way better at football, but your really long rationalization is cool too.

You do realize that 'team Brady/AB' was plan B, last year. Plan A was run first like the end and SB run of the previous season. Gronk decision to retire after FA started, mass injuries to OL and FB killed Plan A.

BB IMO made the decision that TB was no longer able to carry the O as he had for most of his career and tried to make a last run with an aging team where Brady would be a game manager, who could make a few great plays if needed per game.

Is Stidham ahead of brady year2?

You could make a case that belichick system in place now is better, brady is better then Bledsoe as mentor...

Only problem is mcd blows compared to weis... haha o_O

To clarify... the comparison is brady after year on the bench v. Stidham year on the bench. Maybe stidham is ahead based on the items mentioned. So people shouldn't be so shocked to see him as a starter.

I’m all for giving Stidham ayearor two to show he can do it, but they need to bring in a veteran back up as well as another rookie to push him.

You people really are getting loopy in your isolation. I doubt Stidham can even be an effective back up. Outside of the puff pieces from the people schilling for Kraft and BB, where is this coming from? He played on an exceptionally talented team in Auburn, with a tremendous defense and ran a quasi spread option. His play and stats are unimpressive at best. He had outstanding RBs and a great defense.

Wel if Stidham is as bad as you think do you think that BB is aware of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots