PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm on Team Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the guy, but he is being placed in a position to fail. He's going to get killed. Brady at least knew to throw it away for the purpose of self preservation. It killed his completion percentage last year, but he lived. No weapons + a mediocre OL = Stidham killed.

You seem to be confusing "wanted JAG as the successor when Brady was done" with "wanted JAG to be the starter over Brady". If the issue is language confusion, and you're really saying the first rather than the latter, then we're probably on pretty much the same page.
Everything I know about how Bill Belichick runs the Patriots suggests to me that there was no way he was going to be OK with paying TB12 $20+ million/year to start games, and JAG $18 million/year to back him up.

Yeah, I think BB would have been OK moving on from TB 12 several years ago.

I like him but id have preferred another year before he was thrown in. Jg seemed clearly ready by year 3. Who knows, maybe like brady Stidham is ready by year 2. I think hes shown more than cassell pre 2008 and naybe even jg pre 2016 , very good preseason last year and alot of positive feedback during the season on him.

Everything I know about how Bill Belichick runs the Patriots suggests to me that there was no way he was going to be OK with paying TB12 $20+ million/year to start games, and JAG $18 million/year to back him up.

Yeah, I think BB would have been OK moving on from TB 12 several years ago.

Then Belichick disagrees with you, as the story about the JAG/Brady trade refusals to Lynch, along with his clear statement that Brady would be the team's QB upon his return from suspension, makes clear.

Then Belichick disagrees with you, as the story about the JAG/Brady trade refusals to Lynch, along with his clear statement that Brady would be the team's QB upon his return from suspension, makes clear.
I'm not sure either of those stories contradicts the idea that Belichick wanted Garoppolo to become the starter in 2018. Either way... I'm not sure there's much of a point in rehashing that whole scenario at this point.

The larger point is that I think Stidham reminds me of Garoppolo in certain ways, and Belichick clearly liked Garoppolo.

I'm not sure either of those stories contradicts the idea that Belichick wanted Garoppolo to become the starter in 2018. Either way... I'm not sure there's much of a point in rehashing that whole scenario at this point.

The larger point is that I think Stidham reminds me of Garoppolo in certain ways, and Belichick clearly liked Garoppolo.

Other than "He's the guy who was backing up Brady", what is there in common between JAG and Stidham? JAG was a Brady clone. Stidham is not.

Bad senior year on a bad team. You mean like Dan Marino? The guy the Pates passed on because of that and picked Tony Eason instead?

Other than "He's the guy who was backing up Brady", what is there in common between JAG and Stidham?
Similar size.

Similar arm talent.

Neither would be described as mobile, but both can make plays with their legs.

Both played in spread offenses in college that featured a lot of one-read throws.

Both had questions coming out of college about facing pressure.

Seriously... go watch the Stidham preseason highlights video I posted in the original post, and then watch this video and tell me you don't see anything in common.

New article from Dan Wetzel on Stidham.

If Jarrett Stidham is next man up for Patriots after Tom Brady, what do they have at QB?

“Just the way he approaches everything,” Malzahn told Yahoo Sports on Saturday. “He’s obsessed. He’s obsessed with being the best. When it came to studying film, he was always up in the complex watching. You couldn’t chase him out of there. He was just trying to be the best. That’s the way he went about everything.”​

I like the guy, but he is being placed in a position to fail. He's going to get killed. Brady at least knew to throw it away for the purpose of self preservation. It killed his completion percentage last year, but he lived. No weapons + a mediocre OL = Stidham killed.

Mediocre o line? Really? Might be the biggest strength of the team other than the secondary.

Question is stidham really 6'3"???

That is what Google says but he looks shorter than brady. Height for QBs is a vital stat and it is often defrauded.

Example garoppolo is not 6'2"

Discuss

Question is stidham really 6'3"???
Official combine measurement was 6-2 and 3/8ths.

That is what Google says but he looks shorter than brady.
Makes sense since Brady is 6-4 and 3/8ths.

Height for QBs is a vital stat
Respectfully disagree. Patrick Mahomes measured 6-2 at the combine.

Example garoppolo is not 6'2"
And he's still a pretty good QB.

Let's not forget he was much more in sync with Meyers and I would guess Harry as well.
Meyers looked like a superstar in the Preseason when TB12 came in him and Meyers could never get on the same page.

Brady made Meyers look bad

Mediocre o line? Really? Might be the biggest strength of the team other than the secondary.

Agree it is the 2nd strongest unit on our team. That is what is so sad.

Official combine measurement was 6-2 and 3/8ths.

Makes sense since Brady is 6-4 and 3/8ths.

Respectfully disagree. Patrick Mahomes measured 6-2 at the combine.

And he's still a pretty good QB.

Thx.. 2" shorter than brady. Makes sense.

JG had balls batted down in sb... height is good.. eyesight plus release point since arm length follows height.

Brady started his career throwing it away a lot too as I recall. Hopefully, Stidham will adopt the attitude of throw it away to live another day as well. Hope Stidham is a keeper. Still there will be growing pains for Stidham.

Brian Hoyer coming in to backup Stidham is very uninspiring. But it wouldn't be surprising by any means.

Brady started his career throwing it away a lot too as I recall. Hopefully, Stidham will adopt the attitude of throw it away to live another day as well. Hope Stidham is a keeper. Still there will be growing pains for Stidham.

I like the guy as well. Seems like a talented kid, but he couldn't have been dropped into a worse situation. Brutal Boston sports media, following the goat, best OL coach of all time retires, worst skill position talent in the league, mediocre OL...need I go on. The kid is in a horrible spot.

Similar size.

Similar arm talent.

Neither would be described as mobile, but both can make plays with their legs.

Both played in spread offenses in college that featured a lot of one-read throws.

Both had questions coming out of college about facing pressure.

Seriously... go watch the Stidham preseason highlights video I posted in the original post, and then watch this video and tell me you don't see anything in common.

I've seen Stidham. I don't need to watch more. He's not a Brady/JAG clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots