PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If OBJ is released by the Browns and is unclaimed, do you want him in NE on the cheap? (Update: Signed by Rams)

He would have to take a physical and go through an extensive workout, but if he passes those and is willing to sign here for what we can afford to pay him, then why not?

Because he is a mental case. Not just your regular WR diva-type, but a TRUE nutbag. Bring that tool aboard and all the other WRs would have a conniption.

I'd love ODB here on a prove-it type deal.

He's not a top flight playmaker anymore, but the dude can run a route and his hands are elite. He would make this offense better.

I'm buying that Mayfield is the problem.

I'd love ODB here on a prove-it type deal.

He's not a top flight playmaker anymore, but the dude can run a route and his hands are elite. He would make this offense better.

I'm buying that Mayfield is the problem.
I’d take ODB in a heart beat! Problem is, he no longer has one. The veteran leadership, and sick ass rhymes he’d bring to that locker room would be nuthing to **** with. ;):whistle:

Unless they suspend him for a legitimate reason, they cannot just send OBJ home.
Of course a team can send a player home, as long as he’s still being paid and accrues service. As long as they work out the active roster/designation issues.
It is against the CBA.
Most team suspension-related stuff is in the player contract. The CBA pertains to how the league might suspend a player for reasons like off field conduct, drug test fails, etc. You're dead wrong.
Beckham wants to play. So he will not just go home and sit out the rest of the season because the Browns asked him to.
Who gives a crap if he wants to play. Do they also have to activate and him and give him a certain number of targets? Yes, he will go home if the Browns tell him to. Whether he gets paid and accrues service is another matter.

Beyond all this, many contracts contain broad language about team suspensions and discipline. Of course the Browns can claim they have a legitimate reason amd cite OBJ’s behavior as a violation of team standards. The Patriots were able to send home those guys in the 2009 snow storm without “suspending” them. Guys are sent home all the time for attitude issues, fighting, being late, etc.

Pragmatically, they’re not going to carry him on the roster and likely not going to suspend him. But that doesn’t mean your points are legitimate. You’re just making things up as usual.

Of course a team can send a player home, as long as he’s still being paid and accrues service. As long as they work out the active roster/designation issues.

Most team suspension-related stuff is in the player contract. The CBA pertains to how the league might suspend a player for reasons like off field conduct, drug test fails, etc. You're dead wrong.

Who gives a crap if he wants to play. Do they also have to activate and him and give him a certain number of targets? Yes, he will go home if the Browns tell him to. Whether he gets paid and accrues service is another matter.

Beyond all this, many contracts contain broad language about team suspensions and discipline. Of course the Browns can claim they have a legitimate reason amd cite OBJ’s behavior as a violation of team standards. The Patriots were able to send home those guys in the 2009 snow storm without “suspending” them. Guys are sent home all the time for attitude issues, fighting, being late, etc.

Pragmatically, they’re not going to carry him on the roster and likely not going to suspend him. But that doesn’t mean your points are legitimate. You’re just making things up as usual.

They second is to just hold onto him for now, tell him to stay home, and then release him as his salary gets smaller and smaller in hopes that he would be claimed at a higher figure. As teams become more desperate, I could see a scenario where one playoff team would be willing to claim a contract with $3 million remaining for the last three or four weeks just to ensure he did not sign with a rival. There is no risk for the Browns in waiting if Beckham is cool with not having to show up to work. Similarly, they could just tell him to stay home for the year and then see if there is anything that they could do with his contract next year to trade him in 2022 or just wait and release him then. There is no dead money in 2022 if they release him now or next year.

In both cases this would take Beckham to agree to this. The CBA prevents deactivation of a player for more than 4 weeks due to conduct but as we learned by the Texans/Deshaun Watson saga that nobody cares about that rule if the player doesn’t really care about playing for the team. That would require an open discussion between the organization and Beckham before going that route.

No need to apologize. I know you don’t have it in you. Your failed epic rant is enough apology for me.

Last edited:
I have concerns with as highly as he feels about Cam, he won't like the way it went down with him and Gilmore and therefore will stay away from here.
Hope I'm wrong.

In other words he would be a bad fit in NE. This team doesn’t need divas.

Doesn't strike me as someone with enough mental agility to master the Patriots passing schemes.
N'Keal & OchoStinko concur

I was in favor of getting Cooks at the deadline because he's talented, knows the system, and from reports while he was here was a good kid with no real attitude problems. OBJ has the talent, no doubt, but we'd have to bring him up to speed midseason (with a rookie QB) and hope he doesn't throw a fit if Mac throws to Meyers, or Henry, or we're running the ball too much, or just doesn't see him. I'm not sure that's a risk we need to take in a locker room that is just now starting to establish who the leaders are.

Doesn't strike me as someone with enough mental agility to master the Patriots passing schemes.
N'Keal & OchoStinko concur
what are you using for metrics? I wasn't a big fan of Moss' "mental agility" when he was doing the mooning TD celebration but apparently he's a real Norman Einstein as Joe Thiessman would say

Because he is a mental case. Not just your regular WR diva-type, but a TRUE nutbag. Bring that tool aboard and all the other WRs would have a conniption.
He feels like the type of big personality/trouble maker who would be a model citizen here. I'd bring him in, if it doesn't work out cut him.

What do "talks" even mean?"

The Browns sent him home, I read, after his Dad posted a tape of all of the plays OBJ was "open" and yet was ignored by Baker Mayfield.

His release is a possibility. Claiming him on waivers would require 8M in cap space-- no way for NE and probably no way for anybody.

But if unclaimed, would you be interested in the Diva coming to NE, on a "prove it" deal?
No

I don't see him going anywhere TBH.

Mayfield has been a better QB without him. No denying how talented he is, but I’d pass. I’d rather bring Cooks in.

He would instantly be our best playmaker at the WR position. Seems like a no-brainer especially since we're not using draft capital to get him.

@Ice_Ice_Brady to educate you even more about the CBA since you clearly do not understand it.

Under the 2006 CBA, what the Browns are doing now is technically illegal under the CBA. They cannot hold him out of practice without suspending him. They can suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team for a maximum of four weeks which during that time OBJ could file a grievance to overturn it. After that, they have to keep him on the active roster and let him practice. What they can't do is tell him to go home without any action and at most they can do is for four weeks.

Right now they are getting away with deactivating him without suspension because it is a mutual agreement while they are negotiating his exit from the team. But if OBJ wanted to, he could either force them to let him practice or force them to suspend him under the CBA and that would only delay the fight again for four weeks with a suspension.

If they did suspend him, they would probably have to have more than his dad posting videos online showing that Baker Mayfield was to blame for his son's lack of production to win any grievance.

To back this up, from PFT:

They’re trying to carve out another approach, “excusing” him from team activities while figuring out what to do. Per multiple reports, he’s “excused” again on Thursday. Even if he wants to practice.

Basically, they’re suspending him with pay. Starting with the 2006 CBA, teams lost the ability to do this. If he fights it, he’ll win. They can’t keep him out of the facility, or off the practice field.

They could, in theory, suspend him without pay for four weeks for conduct detrimental to the team and force him to file a grievance. At the end of the day, Beckham would get his money after prevailing. In the interim, the Browns would delay his arrival with a new team.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back