PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If OBJ is released by the Browns and is unclaimed, do you want him in NE on the cheap? (Update: Signed by Rams)

@Ice_Ice_Brady to educate you even more about the CBA since you clearly do not understand it.

Under the 2006 CBA, what the Browns are doing now is technically illegal under the CBA. They cannot hold him out of practice without suspending him. They can suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team for a maximum of four weeks which during that time OBJ could file a grievance to overturn it. After that, they have to keep him on the active roster and let him practice. What they can't do is tell him to go home without any action and at most they can do is for four weeks.

Right now they are getting away with deactivating him without suspension because it is a mutual agreement while they are negotiating his exit from the team. But if OBJ wanted to, he could either force them to let him practice or force them to suspend him under the CBA and that would only delay the fight again for four weeks with a suspension.

If they did suspend him, they would probably have to have more than his dad posting videos online showing that Baker Mayfield was to blame for his son's lack of production to win any grievance.

To back this up, from PFT:

They’re trying to carve out another approach, “excusing” him from team activities while figuring out what to do. Per multiple reports, he’s “excused” again on Thursday. Even if he wants to practice.

Basically, they’re suspending him with pay. Starting with the 2006 CBA, teams lost the ability to do this. If he fights it, he’ll win. They can’t keep him out of the facility, or off the practice field.

They could, in theory, suspend him without pay for four weeks for conduct detrimental to the team and force him to file a grievance. At the end of the day, Beckham would get his money after prevailing. In the interim, the Browns would delay his arrival with a new team.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You’re a clown.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You’re a clown.

Tell us again how the CBA doesn't cover how teams can suspend players and it is only in their contracts. I love fantasy stories.

I was right that you couldn't admit you are wrong. You post a long rambling post accusing me of making up stuff and everything you posted in the post to counter my facts was 100% fiction. #massiveeggonyourface

Tell us again how the CBA doesn't cover how teams can suspend players and it is only in their contracts. I love fantasy stories.

I was right that you couldn't admit you are wrong. You post a long rambling post accusing me of making up stuff and everything you posted in the post to counter my facts was 100% fiction. #massiveeggonyourface

“They can’t send him home”

-Rob, aka Andy Jr., before moving the goalposts as always

I'm guessing that the Browns and OBJ's camp are negotiating new "off set" language. His 2021 salary is all guaranteed at this point. Then he is under contract for $15 million a year for both 2022 and 2023.

I'm guessing the Browns are going to release him, but they want try and re-coop some of the money. Remember after the trade deadline, all players must clear waivers. I think the Browns think that some team might claim OBJ (it would cost them @$6.8 mil for the rest of the season, and then they control his rights going forward). IF that happens, the Browns are off the hook for the remainder of his salary. If he goes unclaimed, the Browns owe him the balance of this years money. But if he signs elsewhere, they would want that money to count against the money they owe him.

OBJ does have $1 million dollar roster bonuses built into this contract that are due the first day of training camp.

“They can’t send him home”

-Rob, aka Andy Jr., before moving the goalposts as always

LOL! Another idiot cherry picking my comments to make it sound like something I didn't say. I was talking about sending him home for the year and you know it. You even quoted me saying they couldn't just send him home for the season if he wanted to play.

But you posted these comments:

Of course a team can send a player home, as long as he’s still being paid and accrues service. As long as they work out the active roster/designation issues.

Most team suspension-related stuff is in the player contract. The CBA pertains to how the league might suspend a player for reasons like off field conduct, drug test fails, etc. You're dead wrong.

Who gives a crap if he wants to play. Do they also have to activate and him and give him a certain number of targets? Yes, he will go home if the Browns tell him to. Whether he gets paid and accrues service is another matter.

Pragmatically, they’re not going to carry him on the roster and likely not going to suspend him. But that doesn’t mean your points are legitimate. You’re just making things up as usual.

Three comments that are fabricated BS. None of what you posted is remotely true. You are deflecting from you complete and utter stupidity.

Last edited:
Yes. If he wants to play the remainder of the year on a team friendly prove it deal.

LOL! Another idiot cherry picking my comments to make it sound like something I didn't say. I was talking about sending him home for the year and you know it. You even quoted me saying they couldn't just send him home for the season if he wanted to play.

But you posted these comments:

Of course a team can send a player home, as long as he’s still being paid and accrues service. As long as they work out the active roster/designation issues.

Most team suspension-related stuff is in the player contract. The CBA pertains to how the league might suspend a player for reasons like off field conduct, drug test fails, etc. You're dead wrong.

Who gives a crap if he wants to play. Do they also have to activate and him and give him a certain number of targets? Yes, he will go home if the Browns tell him to. Whether he gets paid and accrues service is another matter.

Pragmatically, they’re not going to carry him on the roster and likely not going to suspend him. But that doesn’t mean your points are legitimate. You’re just making things up as usual.

Three comments that are fabricated BS. None of what you posted is remotely true. You are deflecting from you complete and utter stupidity.

Keep up all the fantastic work, Andy Jr.

And odds are what the Browns are doing right now is working out a way to renegotiate his deal to make his remaining salary palatable so someone claims him off waivers and allow them to recoup some of his salary from this year. If they cut him with his current contract, no one will claim him off waivers and they will be on the hook for his entire salary minus the prorated veteran minimum that he is likely to sign with another team.

Keep up all the fantastic work, Andy Jr.

Sad! Just sad!

So you think you were right with your comments? Even though I posted multiple sources that said you were wrong?

I will let you have the final word on this. I am done letting you and @venecol derail these threads by you constantly attacking me and me responding in kind. I really don't care if you do anymore. I don't respect either of you anyway.

But this isn't fair to others. No one else is doing this crap. I no longer want to contribute to making these boards less enjoyable for others. And since you are exposing yourself for being everything you are accusing me of, there is no point fighting anymore.

Feel free to flame me away. Don't care.

He needs surgery on both of his shoulders according to reports, no thanks this year.

Maybe next season if he’s healthy, cheap and desperate.

With most WR's I'd give a resounding NO!!!!11 But is OBJ one of those rare guys BB seeks out after the game to shake hand. For some reason I seem to recall this when he was with the Giants. I think Bill likes him. But I doubt he wants to disrupt the team at this point.

The REAL destination SHOULD be the Saints. He went to LSU, Michael Thomas just tweeted that he's not going to be able to play this year after suffering a set back to the injury that kept him put to this point. They are a contender and they really need the help. But he'd have to last in waivers until the Saints pick late

With most WR's I'd give a resounding NO!!!!11 But is OBJ one of those rare guys BB seeks out after the game to shake hand. For some reason I seem to recall this when he was with the Giants. I think Bill likes him. But I doubt he wants to disrupt the team at this point.

The REAL destination SHOULD be the Saints. He went to LSU, Michael Thomas just tweeted that he's not going to be able to play this year after suffering a set back to the injury that kept him put to this point. They are a contender and they really need the help. But he'd have to last in waivers until the Saints pick late

Unless OBJ redoes his deal before he is released (which I think is why he hasn't been released yet), waiver order doesn't matter. No one is touching his contract. His base salary this year is $14.5 million which means he has like over $8 million in salary left for this year for a team to pick up.

Odds are the Browns will convert some of that into a bonus to lower his cap hit for the new team and so they can recoup some of his salary back. But how much are they willing to lower it?

Because he is a mental case. Not just your regular WR diva-type, but a TRUE nutbag. Bring that tool aboard and all the other WRs would have a conniption.

Don't want to appear rude, but frankly I don't give a dam about what "all the other WRs" think about this... When OBJ is right, all the other WRs here can't hold his jock... Now whether OBJ is "right" at this time or will be at any other time this year or in the future is certainly debatable...

If he clears waivers and becomes a free agent I'm not sure why the Patriots wouldn't want him if he's interested in signing in NE. He's a low risk high reward signing, if it goes poorly they will just waive him but the upside is upgrading the WR1 position.

I watched the video his dad posted and it seems like OBJ was open a lot on Baker misses (although some of the plays they cite in the video would have taken absolute dimes from Baker to get to him. He might not have the same explosion, but he knows how to get open and I think Mac could get him the ball.

A guy with his talent level is always worth the risk, especially on a one year, low money deal. Question is, would we be high on his list of destinations? If he wants to get more touches, a team like the Saints seems like the perfect fit; if he wants to win, all the contenders could always use another WR.

He needs surgery on both of his shoulders according to reports, no thanks this year.

Maybe next season if he’s healthy, cheap and desperate.

Tampa will let Godwin walk and AB will be a free Agent OBJ will be in Tampa next year

A guy with his talent level is always worth the risk, especially on a one year, low money deal. Question is, would we be high on his list of destinations? If he wants to get more touches, a team like the Saints seems like the perfect fit; if he wants to win, all the contenders could always use another WR.
We're .500 at the deadline. We're at least technically in contention right now. That said if was looking for a veteran to land on the Pats it would be a veteran linebacker right now, not necessarily an offensive player.

The Saints supposedly reached out before the trade deadline but either couldn’t agree on trade value, didn't think OBJ would renegotiate from his $14M for each of the next two years, or both.

Why New Orleans? He went to LSU and their fans would be more likely to accept him than most. Jameis going down though may make it less appealing.

Of course all of this is ASSUMING that he will get released, which is no sure thing.
The other reason (along with the LSU factor) is that he needs to go to a place that has a big WR need (New Orleans with the Michael Thomas injury, check ) and because of his disruptive reputation and past he needs to either go to a place with an extremely secure and strong willed QB (e.g., Brady, Rodgers, etc.) or an extremely secure and strong willed coach, and New Orleans with Sean Payton meets that second criteria (fair disclosure: this isn't my original take, I heard it on the Bill Barnwell podcast but it makes total sense to me).

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back