PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jimmy leaves, do you feel like Brissett could be the heir in a couple years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he can be a starting level QB in the NFL in a couple years. He is raw right now and needs some serious work on his mechanics and processing speed but those come with time and coaching. The fact that they used their IR tag on him speaks volumes. Will he be Brady? Hell no totally different player with a different style. More like Big Ben who is plenty good enough to win with. To me this all comes down to how hard Brisket works on honing his craft and it sounds like he will do it. I am plenty comfortable until I see otherwise with him being the backup for the next 3 years at which point we will have a much better idea where he is at and more importantly what father time has done to Brady.

As intriguing as the Big Ben comparisons are, I'd like to see the team invest in someone who has enough traits that resemble Brady's -- who is more fundamentally sound as a quarterback.

But then again, I'm no football expert....and there are many observers who like what Brissett offers, and see plenty of promise

Jacoby Brissett's high school coaches expect him to seize moment

Bill Parcells: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett is a 'Curtis Martin, Willie McGinest, Troy Brown type player'

Meet the Rookies: Film review of Jacoby Brissett | nePatriotsLife.com - New England Patriots Fan Site, Blog, T-shirts

Wanna compare Jacoby's college numbers with Jimmy G's and tell me who has the higher ceiling?

View attachment 15151

View attachment 15150

What do those stats mean?

Who were the competition levels they were each playing? Also, I see a better TD/INT ratio in those stats for Jacoby.

The college stats are irrelevant.

Ryan Mallett's, Michael Bishop's and Rohan Davey's college stats were far better than Matt Cassel's. Cassel had the better NFL career.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, all the options are available, trade or keep [jag]. If they get a great offer, Brisset can hold the fort and they could be developing another QB by then. as long as Tommy keeps eating that avocado ice cream.

That was a pressure situation he walked into. the 3-1 start was huge. whatever faults, he showed great poise and control. He should try to rub against cyrus Jones in case some might rub off.

As intriguing as the Big Ben comparisons are, I'd like to see the team invest in someone who has enough traits that resemble Brady's -- who is more fundamentally sound as a quarterback.

But then again, I'm no football expert....and there are many observers who like what Brissett offers, and see plenty of promise

Bill Parcells: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett is a 'Curtis Martin, Willie McGinest, Troy Brown type player'

Meet the Rookies: Film review of Jacoby Brissett | nePatriotsLife.com - New England Patriots Fan Site, Blog, T-shirts

The three biggest factors for success that are controllable by the player are drive, desire and work ethic. Brissett IMHO ranks VERY high in those areas, much like TB, who is off the charts. Does that mean JB will succeed? No. You have to have talent too. And opportunity. But I would not bet against this young man.

You cant compare Brissett, a rookie, with JG, a 3 year vet behind the goat. You CAN compare Brissett to JG's rookie year. And Brissett was better and yes, more fundamentally sound than jimmy was his rookie year. If Brady retired this year, im comfortable with jimmy g taking over. But even after 3 years, jimmy holds onto to the ball too long. Remember, jimmy did not play in a pro system, in college. He didnt take center snaps, read defenses or go thru progressions. If hypothetically, brady retired this year(god forbid), jimmyg would start jacoby back up. But wouldnt surprise me if brissett took his job away in a couple years. Brissett might well have more upside than jimmyg. But like i said, we just dont know. its too soon to tell.

I have no idea, Brady is an incredible player now, much better than when he won his first 3 super bowls. Brady clearly had intangibles that don't show up on paper. Who is more driven than Brady? At age 39 with all the success he has had to keep the grind going.. He is a rare person. Talent and Drive.

I have no idea if he's heir-worthy or not. Barring injury, I expect Brady to play at an elite level for another 2 years at least, and well enough to be a starter for an additional 2 more. So I think Brissett will be nothing more than a backup in his time here.

Brady at 80% of what he once was should still be more valuable than a 3rd-4th year young QB.

Especially come playoff time.

If Brady plays as long as he says the timing will be off on him too. (If he is any good.. because if he does not leave after rookie contract he is probably not very good anyway.)

You cant compare Brissett, a rookie, with JG, a 3 year vet behind the goat. You CAN compare Brissett to JG's rookie year. And Brissett was better and yes, more fundamentally sound than jimmy was his rookie year. If Brady retired this year, im comfortable with jimmy g taking over. But even after 3 years, jimmy holds onto to the ball too long. Remember, jimmy did not play in a pro system, in college. He didnt take center snaps, read defenses or go thru progressions. If hypothetically, brady retired this year(god forbid), jimmyg would start jacoby back up. But wouldnt surprise me if brissett took his job away in a couple years. Brissett might well have more upside than jimmyg. But like i said, we just dont know. its too soon to tell.
Some of you guys will be saying 'it's too soon to tell when they're inducting JG into the hall of fame.

I like JG in this offense because of his accuracy, quick release, and ability to make fast decisions. I haven't seen any of these attributes out of Jacoby and doubt he'll ever have JG's release or ever play at JG's level.

JG could be a special QB in this league and the Pats will not find a better heir apparent for Brady. They should hold onto him at all costs.

I like JG in this offense because of his accuracy, quick release, and ability to make fast decisions. I haven't seen any of these attributes out of Jacoby and doubt he'll ever have JG's release or ever play at JG's level.

JG could be a special QB in this league and the Pats will not find a better heir apparent for Brady. They should hold onto him at all costs.
Well, unfortunately, they cannot afford to pay both QBs and Garoppolo is due after next season. Brady will have two full years on his deal remaining.

Obviously, you can't get Brady's 22m dollar cap hit down without adding more years with an extension, and if you're going to consider doing that, why even care what happens with Garoppolo in the first place?

Tom sounds very serious about continuing to play as deep into his 40s as possible and I doubt they'd allow him to walk away from Foxborough for a variety of reasons. As much as I'd like to see Garoppolo stay, I don't see any scenarios where it's anything close to realistic.

The team is in love with him. That gives confidence. His play didn't exactly inspire me.

I will also forgive him for being uninspiring as a very raw rookie. He was never supposed to see the field. Nobody, not even the coaches, have seen enough of Brissett to make us believe he can be the heir. It's way too early.

(Granted, this is assuming a scenario where Brady doesn't play until he's 50. ;) )

What do we feel about this guy, though? I liked a lot of the things that he did in that Houston win, granted we kept him limited. He seems to be pretty well liked, and his mobility is intriguing.

I do wonder if this guy has limits on his potential. The Buffalo game was definitely nothing special. BUT it was his first games in the NFL, so little early to tell on him. He was a guy Parcells really liked, so that's at least something of note.
He hasn't shown me anything yet but I'm not sure that matters because he was playing blind out there any way.

(Granted, this is assuming a scenario where Brady doesn't play until he's 50. ;) )

What do we feel about this guy, though? I liked a lot of the things that he did in that Houston win, granted we kept him limited. He seems to be pretty well liked, and his mobility is intriguing.

I do wonder if this guy has limits on his potential. The Buffalo game was definitely nothing special. BUT it was his first games in the NFL, so little early to tell on him. He was a guy Parcells really liked, so that's at least something of note.

So far, I like what I see. Tough, smart, strong arm good mobility. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Teammates and coaches respect him. Lots to like and I think BB likes what he sees too. Clearly a ways to go in the passing game and learning the position at an NFL level.

I mean, no one really knew (and still don't) what Jimmy G was until his 3rd preseason and a few quarters and we still don't know what his ceiling is. He could be a top passer, SB Champion or the next Tony Eason. Start of hot, regress and can't stay healthy. Just don't know.

I wonder how much better vs BUF he would have done if he didn't have a torn tendon. Could he have won the game 17-16?

At any rate, hes absolutely worth continuing to invest the time into developing no question.

We set ourselves up with the word "heir." Let's just let Brady leave when he leaves and have a "next QB" and hope that the guy is one of the better ones in the league.

For those of us who still have interest at that point.

The three biggest factors for success that are controllable by the player are drive, desire and work ethic. Brissett IMHO ranks VERY high in those areas, much like TB, who is off the charts. Does that mean JB will succeed? No. You have to have talent too. And opportunity. But I would not bet against this young man.
I watched his video someone posted in here, and read what Parcells and Charlie had to say. When I watched him this year I thought he handled himself pretty well considering both situations. (one in relief, rookie, and the second time time injurred when they were hoping Jimmy played.)

Again, I think he did well considering those two circumstances. The video impressed me but of course they are not going to make a "highlight" video of his suck plays. He took off and ran a lot in those videos, and though that looked exciting, that never seems to be the number one trait you want in an NFL QB (Not saying that is his number one trait, just mentioning he seemed to take off and run a lot)

No one is going to be Brady again. I hope he plays at a very high level for a lot longer. The thing about that statement, is it is undeniable that Brady 2010-2016 is far superior to his earlier career (2007 also). He is incredible this season. Why would we say he can't keep going like this. If he does, and Jacoby is good, then Jacoby's timing will be just as wrong as Jimmy's timing. The heir is someone who is like a freshmen in college next year, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe