PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady played in a different era...

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
See this all the time from Brady critics that Brady couldn't have played in a different era where defenses could mug receivers.

Mostly from people who forget that Brady indeed did play in a different era, before 2004 when the Fivehead-lovers on the competition committee made sure defenses couldn't do what the Patriots did to Manning anymore. Won 2 out of 3 Super Bowls in that era too. Knowing how cerebral Brady is and how fast he is releasing the ball I think he would have done really well in any era of the game.

With that said I think a guy like Marino would have feasted on today's rules.

See this all the time from Brady critics that Brady couldn't have played in a different era where defenses could mug receivers.

Mostly from people who forget that Brady indeed did play in a different era, before 2004 when the Fivehead-lovers on the competition committee made sure defenses couldn't do what the Patriots did to Manning anymore. Won 2 out of 3 Super Bowls in that era too. Knowing how cerebral Brady is and how fast he is releasing the ball I think he would have done really well in any era of the game.

I would say the first 3 Super Bowls where in that era and he took some hits. You can’t question the guy’s toughness when he has played through injury.

Reactions: sb1
I think people forget that Montana didn’t have the greatest durability for his era. Just compare it to guys like Elway, Marino, Kelly, and Moon. He might even miss a game or two if he had taken the hit below.

would his earlier numbers been affected by free agency & the salary cap though?

Hilarious, given that the present "emphasis" on playing 2-hand-touch on receivers came from the defensive teammates OF Tom Brady, via Polian of the Colts, he of the Competition Committee. That was the beginning of "change the game to beat the Pats." In that case, they essentially said "OMG, look at this horrible style of defense that nobody every complained about until New England won with it... we're shocked, SHOCKED that DBs have any latitude in close coverage." Later, of course, the whining could not be contained in a simple rules emphasis. They just had to start straight up stealing NE Patriots draft capital.

We soon discovered that team vs team spying -- a "that's football" issue when Saban/Miami did it (FRAMe (Central Resource to Refute Cameragate Baloney)) -- was tantamount to genocide in the Patriots' case. Also it was more likely than not that Tom Brady was generally aware that if you inverted the data from two gauges... something to do with footballs being flat? FFS.

Why TF are there ANY Tom Brady critics left alive at this point? What don't you like? He's "so smug about getting up at 4 in the morning and outworking the first year guys on the bubble?" "He'll need to get an 8th ring to convince me it's not just luck"?

I mean F(*&. Any takers for "System quarterback?" Jay Z christ.

I frankly am sort of sick of TFB the man. I mean, for example, I hate that his politics suck. (Stipulated, a lot of you guys are wrong and agree with his politics. JUST KIDDING. you know, good natured, in jest, we ain't solving it here.) I hate that I disagree w his politics. I don't WANT to continue a man crush on TFB, but he is really. good. at effing football. I'm also aware that if someone said "Here's PFnV, he won the Dinner With Tom Brady contest," the look on his face would be "this is going to be a long half an hour. They can't possibly expect an hour." I am sure he's a guy some of you guys think you'd want to get a beer with, but I guaranty you, that's a 1-way deal. That's fandom. Probably that's more the case w Brady than most, b/c rather than measuring from basic football player down the chain of existence to the shlub fan, the distance w Brady is to greatest football player ever. Nevertheless, it makes me think "yeah prolly a ****."

But TB critics, in the sense of saying he doesn't have game? Put down the legalized recreational marijuana ya freakin wook and watch some NFL network "Top 100" footage or something.

Okay done

I don't think he plays as long had he played in Montana's era or started in the 90's. Considering his 10 year drought here in NE, he may have won 3 Super Bowls which would've still been considered a lot.

I don't think he plays as long had he played in Montana's era or started in the 90's. Considering his 10 year drought here in NE, he may have won 3 Super Bowls which would've still been considered a lot.

You do know that Montana played in a non salary cap era. His teams where always stacked. I am sure brady would love to play in an era like that. Brady is a tough sob.

Ironically the QBs of today who could go back in time and dominate would be the physical freaks who would simply be so much faster and stronger than everyone else on the field and could just impose their will. You take Tim Tebow and throw him into the 1960s and he’d lead a dynasty and be on the short list for GOAT. But the greatest cerebral pocket passer would still be reliant on their line and receivers to do their jobs.

You do know that Montana played in a non salary cap era. His teams where always stacked. I am sure brady would love to play in an era like that. Brady is a tough sob.
I'm referring to the the hits he'd take as he wouldn't have the luxury of the "Carson Palmer" rule which into the "Brady" rule.

I'm as big of a fan boy of Brady as there is but especially later in his career the rules have definitely protected him. This is the type of thing the rules of today have protected Brady from. This is two penalties in today's game. One for leading with the helmet and a second for driving the quarterback to the turf with your full body weight. I'm not denying Montana wasn't injury prone during his career but very few people are getting up for this hit unscathed.

I think people forget that Montana didn’t have the greatest durability for his era. Just compare it to guys like Elway, Marino, Kelly, and Moon. He might even miss a game or two if he had taken the hit below.

I remember a game whenTerry Bradshaw was hammered so hard he flipped backwards against the Oakland Raiders. Such was life of a QB in a past error. Hard to compare the game in different eras as salary caps, player's weight and rule changes are factors. How would QB's or coaches do in different era's? Knoll, Walsh and Lombardi are dismissed in an era of salary cap because it was before their time. The game will continue to change and we will have new rules in the future making it even harder to compare eras.

Defensive player really have no place to complain in all of this protection of the QB. Not when they themselves are protected from being whipsawed, cracked back, tripped, blocked low & high, etc.

They're protected, just like QBs are, and it makes sense, because QBs are more or less immobile targets with the ball.

I remember a game whenTerry Bradshaw was hammered so hard he flipped backwards against the Oakland Raiders. Such was life of a QB in a past error. Hard to compare the game in different eras as salary caps, player's weight and rule changes are factors. How would QB's or coaches do in different era's? Knoll, Walsh and Lombardi are dismissed in an era of salary cap because it was before their time. The game will continue to change and we will have new rules in the future making it even harder to compare eras.
I remember when Terry Bradshaw got hammered so hard he thought he was Tom Brady at the hospital.

I'm as big of a fan boy of Brady as there is but especially later in his career the rules have definitely protected him. This is the type of thing the rules of today have protected Brady from. This is two penalties in today's game. One for leading with the helmet and a second for driving the quarterback to the turf with your full body weight. I'm not denying Montana wasn't injury prone during his career but very few people are getting up for this hit unscathed.

Brady has taken worse hits than that.

Ironically the QBs of today who could go back in time and dominate would be the physical freaks who would simply be so much faster and stronger than everyone else on the field and could just impose their will.
Michael Vick was here before Jackson. Zero Lombardis.

That's just one example. It's not the only one.

Michael Vick was here before Jackson. Zero Lombardis.

That's just one example. It's not the only one.
I consider 2001 to be in the modern era. I’m talking about the 60s.

Brady's also taken some pretty good shots over the years. I think the Nate Clements one is right up there with the one to Montana.

Was too high and would be a penalty today IMO.

Every QB takes some shots but what they got away with years ago was much worse.

636431508502697539-AP-JIM-LITKE-9105225.JPG

Here is a compilation of some of Brady's hits. The first two are massive by Buffalo and Oakland. The one by Oakland is very similar to the one Montana took vs the Giants. This video does not have the ones from the Atlanta SB but he took bone crushing hits in that SB all game and of course the Denver AFCCG in 2015.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back