PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady leaves I hope we sign Rivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Rivers has seen better days. When I watched him last year it was incredible how frequently he just threw up prayers into triple coverage without caring a bit whether it got intercepted or not. Whoever the patriots sign, I hope it is not an interception machine like Rivers.

To me Mariotta makes the most sense, if Brady does not re-sign.

I mean what will you do if one of them is signed.
I think you really might spontaneously combust.
So for your well being I hope I'm wrong friend.

I would just love to hear the full story whereby Andrew Luck unretires and is traded to the Patriots for a first round pick.

Last edited:
Unless it's a Cam, Ryan or someone like that I'm rolling with Stidham. Draft another QB in the next 2 drafts, which look good for the position and rebuild that way.

Rivers is almost an insult at this point tbh. Not trying to sound dramatic but he's just not it. His arm has been gone for almost 3 years. Always had weapons but how better did he make them? We're not the NYJ or Fins trying to stay relevant.

If we're rebuilding, do it the right way. Don't half-ass it with retreads & never have-beens.

Again next 2 QB classes look better good so there's hope there.

I would just love to hear the full story whereby Andrew Luck unretires and is to the Patriots for a first round pick.
Pipe dream
But why not shoot for the stars
I’d much rather cough up a first if Luck was like I’ll only play for the Pats.
That could force a trade

Even if it were the best football decision, man, thinking of getting Rivers makes me sad.

Like other teams are getting revved up for their Mahomes or Jackson or 2020 draft pick and we go from Brady to Rivers, presumably with some desperate hope that we get to the post season. Not to mention watching the 16 games to get there.

If we get Rivers, no WR can take #17.

Rivers couldn't cut it with a much better Skill-position players in the last year at least. Here, he'll get better coaching and (maybe) a better defense. Is it enough?

He probably is the only realistic choice if we are going for title shot next year without Brady, i think...

I always thought of him as a Roman Gabriel or Norm Snead. A good QB but not a championship type.

Living in San Diego the last decade, I have watched a lot of Philip Rivers.

My thoughts:

a.) He is one of the best deep ball throwers in the league.
b.) He plays with a lot of fire...gotta respect that.
c.) He tries to do too much at times and has really ugly games.
d.) I do not think he is a good fit given the personnel we have on offense here in Foxboro. If we had 2-3 guys who could take the top off the D, I'd be interested.

Never been a huge fan of Rivers, not sure why but he never gave the "QB warm and fuzzies" you might expect..

Always seems like he is angry...
From telling nine kids " get off my lawn"..

Rivers looked more cooked than Brady ever did in 2019. Dude threw 20 picks.

I mean as a stopgap in the event Brady's gone it's fine, but it's 99% sure to be a dead end.

OP I called your bluff and gave you a dislike. You thought if you got out ahead of it by calling me normie trash that would scare me away. Well it appears to have worked for everyone else but I stepped up to dislike that post about Rivers.

Also Rivers’s career is about as normie as you can get. Only more normie might have been Alex Smith until his injury.

(For the record, I didn’t really dislike it, it’s an interesting thought and first time I have seen someone write it).

Last edited:
My favorite Rivers moment is the one where sucked so bad that the Chargers were getting killed, then came all the way back unexpectedly, then threw the game away on a baffling pick 6.

I always thought of him as a Roman Gabriel or Norm Snead. A good QB but not a championship type.

Most of the QB's who were labeled "championship type" were two or three fluke plays that they weren't involved in from being labeled "good QB but not...". Read Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb to see the light.

I can’t see NE winning it all w Rivers. I’d rather blow it up than go this route.

People hating on Rivers saying he's got a bad attitude - you guys gotta understand how insufferable we'd all find Julian Edelman if he wore green and white, right?

People hating on Rivers saying he's got a bad attitude - you guys gotta understand how insufferable we'd all find Julian Edelman if he wore green and white, right?
Very true. I think Rivers is just a really fiery dude and that leads to some heated and sometimes whiny exchanges. He is emotional.

The biggest factors would be money and whether or not an expert like Belichick thinks he can help to limit Rivers’ weaknesses.

Rivers just moved his wife and 100 children to Florida. He never has played for a team where it snows. He throws interceptions at critical moments. He's older and has a temper problem. Bringing in a bridge QB with the Pats at this juncture would serve no useful purpose; if Brady leaves the wise choice would be to go with Stidham and a rookie in camp because either way this is not a Super Bowl team.
He's going to Tampa imo... 2nd choice is Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey