SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Idle thoughts - the "3rd and 18" edition

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patfanken, Jan 22, 2018.

1. yukon cornelius

yukon cornelius Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,559
    OL only 9 total pressures on Brady, and only 2 in the 2nd half?

damn good

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,729
    Actually, it's not Ken. There were years where you could count on one hand the number of stunts or twists that the Patriots did.

Those were the things Coughlin used in the SB with his defense that our O-line had issues with. And they had issues with them yesterday. They were able to buckle down late and nullify the Jags, but it was something that worked several times and it stood out.

3. yukon cornelius

yukon cornelius Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,559

only 9 pressures, only 2 in the 2nd half

4. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +574
    Andy, Ken - Feel bad for quickly moving past yesterday's victory but after watching the Eagles dismantle the Vikings with remarkable ease, I wanted to ask you both right away : do you expect them to be a significantly better opponent than the Jags?

Thanks,

5. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23,072
    I was going to mention that...but forgot. I thought the Jags receivers threw a lot of key blocks on those dump offs and swing passes. Very well timed blocks and clearly premeditiated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +17,697
    Corrente's explanation on the ASJ play seems to say that completing the process of a fumble recovery while falling to the ground has the same stipulation of "surviving the ground" as does completing a catch that is taking you to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,729
    The ball was clearly pinned against his hip and it stayed against his hip unmoved after Lewis hit the ground. It was ONLY after Jack grabbed it and pulled it out that he lost control. But he was already on the ground and down by that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. patfanken

Ratings:
    +23,072
    I think that is a small contention that will be blown out of proportion. Think about it this way. You are ahead 14-10 and will get the ball to open the half. You just had a quick TD scored on you and you have a QB who has been known to give it away. Plus you are moving the ball and while still protecting that QB. Why take a risk and perhaps lose the ball, or give it back to the Pats will 30 odd seconds left.

While I see your point, I can see why Maronne chose to sit on it to close out the half.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +7,622
    He wasn’t down by contact. I am not familiar with any rule that said you have to survive the ground or it’s a fumble. Once you are down by contact the ball is dead.

10. patfanken

Ratings:
    +23,072
    I agree but I can see the opposite point, that while it seemed like it in the stop-motion snapshot, did he have "control" of the ball?. Or rather was control established enough to overturn the call on the field. The burden of proof was on the Pats in that situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SacPete1

SacPete1 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +325
    I disagree. Surviving the ground is applicable and doesn't just apply to a catch but to a runner after he loses possession. Here is the quote from Tony Corrente on the ASJ ruling and he specifically uses the phrase "surviving the ground".

Referee explains decision on controversial non-TD by Jets' Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Referee explains Austin Seferian-Jenkins play
    After the game, referee Tony Corrente defended his crew's decision:

"The final shot we saw was from the end zone that showed the New York Jets' runner, we'll call him a runner at that point, with the football starting to go toward the ground," Corrente said. "He lost the ball. It came out of his control as he was almost to the ground. Now he re-grasps the ball and by rule, now he has to complete the process of recovery, which means he has to survive the ground again. So in recovering it, he recovered, hit the knee, started to roll and the ball came out a second time. So the ball started to move in his hands this way ... he's now out of bounds in the end zone, which now created a touchback. So he didn't survive the recovery and didn't survive the ground during the recovery is what happened here."

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +17,697
    Once you are down by contact, while having possession of the ball, the ball is dead.

It seems that to be declared in possession of the ball, whether you are catching a pass while falling to the ground or recovering a fumble while falling to the ground, possession is attained only by surviving the ground. Unless Corrente is wrong...

I originally agreed 100% with you, but (like Blake Bortles) I am losing confidence by the minute!

13. Nunchucks

Nunchucks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,530
    The problem wasn't that ASJ did not regain possession of the ball, the problem was that he was out of bounds when he regained possession. He fumbled right before crossing the goal line and then regained possession in the air and out of bounds.

14. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,622
    It’s very questionable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,622
    ASJ lost possession before hitting the ground and regained it after he was out of bounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,989
    Agreed -- I've been thinking that this year is the most that way of any of any Pats team since the 2001 squad. The roster they entered training camp with looked like a juggernaut, but the roster they've been fielding lately simply isn't. In fact, you could form the basis of a solid expansion team out of guys they entered camp with and don't have now. Off the top of my head:

Defense: Hightower, Rivers, Valentine, McClellin, J. Jones, C. Jones, Ebner, Langi, Ninkovich, Ealy

Offense: Edelman, Mitchell, Cannon, Garcia, and of course QB depth with Garoppolo and Brissett :)

Not that the guys still remaining are any slouches, of course. But on paper, the defensive front seven in particular looks like one of the weakest in the league. ("Hey Ricky Jean Francois, could you take a break from managing your Dunkin Donuts to be a starter in the AFC championship game? Thanks, buddy!")

But they're a heck of a team, having a heck of a season.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. PatriotsNumero1Fan

PatriotsNumero1Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,569
    So the media's *****ing about the pats getting the calls today. They where the right calls. The one you can make an argument about was the one before the half with the brandin cooks PI. That's the only one.

18. Sfpat

Sfpat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,098
    Haven't read through everything but last year Atlanta was criticized for not running the ball in the second half. This year the Jags are criticized for running the ball in the second half. Can they make up their minds!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127
    I thought the fumble was called correctly even though it pissed me off

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. sambam94

sambam94 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,096
    rewatched game..the delay of game near the end of the half was the single most important play of the game. The penalty cost the jags a 1st down on the pats 30 yard line. Drive would have continued and they either would have had a 21-3 lead or 17-3 lead. There would have not been enough time for the Pats to get that late TD to make it 14-10 at the half. Absolutely huge difference..

• Agree Agree x 3