PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hurricane Matthew threatens the East Coast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the worst of it now looks to affect the Space Coast region. The models are converging at least a bit, and in Palm Beach County where I am it looks like the eye will pass 25-35 miles offshore, with hurricane winds extending some 40 miles. I'm 8 miles inland. On the edge like that I will likely see 75-80 mph winds, but not the insane 145 mph winds. After passing us though it looks like it will go near the coast or onto it up near Melbourne or Titusville.

You're in Jacksonville, right? It's a little too early to tell up there how bad you'll get it.

CNN makes it sounds like everyone has to evacuate, but in our area the mandatory evacuations are just the coastal communities.

Us, too, up in Georgia. Coastal counties only.

The worst is past us in Palm Beach county. Only tropical storm force winds, lots of rain, and the power did go out 3 hours ago. No football, no baseball here with no TV and all the radio stations covering the weather. The storm center stayed well out to sea and has now gone north of us. Hopefully it stays out to sea and spares the Space Coast, Jacksonville, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Anyone else surprised there aren't corporate sponsors yet for these storms? "The Gillette Razor Pro Glide storm brought to you by Sprint is expected to hit the East coast this weekend..."

Anyone else surprised there aren't corporate sponsors yet for these storms? "The Gillette Razor Pro Glide storm brought to you by Sprint is expected to hit the East coast this weekend..."

Maybe companies dont like to sponsor things that kill people?

well...they sponsor a sport that produces a slow death in a sizable percentage of the participants in the form of post concussive syndrome. Why not market mass tragedy? Make everything an "event".

Just talked with my dad. The storm stayed off the coast down south. They got hit with a little bit of wind and rain but nothing that they can't handle down there. My girl's parents are in the Orlando area now and it's off the coast just south of them. It's been downgraded to a 3 now too, thankfully.

Sounds like FPL really improved their response time since 2004-2005.

Heard a guy on CNN saying that they had invested 2 billion into the grid over the last decade. That and they have 12000 line crewmen on site ready to go.

Heard a guy on CNN saying that they had invested 2 billion into the grid over the last decade. That and they have 12000 line crewmen on site ready to go.
That's good. We were without power for over a month in the summer when Frances and Jeanne blew through.

A month???

Yeah it was about two weeks for Frances and another two for Jeanne. Jeanne wasn't as bad as we bought a generator. Frances was unbearable.

Glad to hear the good news so far from those on this board that are in its path.

Hurricane Ike flooded my Texas town in 2008, five days after Brady went down for the season. 18 inches in the house. It definitely impacts your life for a while.

The key was to joke about it. When a salesman at work was asking me how things were going a couple weeks later, I told him it was like a bad dream and I hoped I would soon wake up and Tom's knee would be just fine, and I'd get back to work cleaning the house out.

Once again the weather hysterics get everybody's panties in a wad. I do agree it is better to be warned then not But like Lucy pulling away the football the weather folks get everybody going crazy and then…

Once again the weather hysterics get everybody's panties in a wad. I do agree it is better to be warned then not But like Lucy pulling away the football the weather folks get everybody going crazy and then…

The storm was every bit as intense as they warned us. We got mostly lucky so far in two important factors:

1) the center of the storm, with by far the most intense winds, stayed East of the Florida coast. That was considered somewhat likely (>50% chance, at least for South Florida), but by no means assured. Approaching the Bahamas it deviated from its northwest trajectory for just a couple of hours, veering northward for awhile, then it went back northwest. That random, unpredictable wobble gave the coast 20 miles or so of extra distance from the center of the storm.

2) the northeast quadrant of most hurricanes is the part that spawns the most tornadoes and has the most fierce winds, apart from the eye wall. This quadrant was even further out to sea.

Hurricanes take meandering paths that are hard to predict. 20-30 miles further west and much of the coast would have been obliterated .

Last edited:

Hammerhead shark swimming outside of someone's front door in Jax Beach.

Nothin like what Cleveland is going to get hit with when Hurricane Tom comes.

St. Augustine streets filled with water from Hurricane Matthew

All of Jacksonville Beach is under water right now too. I wouldn't say that this wasn't bad. I still haven't been back to my house yet.

I was talking to the chef at The Fish Co (worked there when wifey and I lived in jax) last night, he didn't seem too worried. The restaurant is also on the beach side of the ditch. I hope the flooding avoided your property, and if it was affected, the damage was minimal. Good luck.

man that is so creepy and primal ha, nature is just a tap on the shoulder away from telling us to go F ourselves

I hope all is well with you and the family man, be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday