PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to Replace Andrews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karras is the closing thing to continuity as it gets. 3+ years in the system as the primary IOL backup and already has a rapport with Brady. Unless one of the better centers in the league somehow fell on their lap, would rather run with him.
Yep, let Ferentz and Froholdt battle it out for the backup IOL reps.

Yikes, this could be the difference between us winning the title. Whoever steps up needs to be great.

Yikes, this could be the difference between us winning the title. Whoever steps up needs to be great.
Don’t know if the new center “needs to be great”. I’d be happy with “good”. There is enough talent in NE to win even if everyone isn’t a ProBowler.

Does anyone feel Karras can be just as good as Andrews?

The best thing about this situation is that whoever lines up at Centre will have two of the best guards in the NFL next to him. Which will help massively.

The best thing about this situation is that whoever lines up at Centre will have two of the best guards in the NFL next to him. Which will help massively.

Not to mention Dante coaching him up

Karras will be fine. The issue is depth after him. Maybe the rookies work out, but IMO everyone else is a JAG.

There will definitely be waiver claims, but I think a minor trade too for a swing tackle or another Karras type.

We talk about the depth of this roster. Who are the players having value the team would part with?

Burkhead, Wise, Harmon are possibilities off the top of my head.

Don’t know if the new center “needs to be great”. I’d be happy with “good”. There is enough talent in NE to win even if everyone isn’t a ProBowler.

How good a center is, affects how good a quarterback Brady is. It doesn't matter what Brady can do if the protection breaks down, or if an extra rusher is unaccounted for, or if they're not on the same page as far as the snap count (as the Miami video on the other thread shows).

I can't recall a single instance of Andrews not being on the same page as Brady. He is right up there with the best of Patriots centers to ever play the game.

I would say Karras. I want someone at center who has at least snapped to Brady before and has some familiarity.

It has to be Karras, making the line calls is the most important thing a center does, Karras has the experience in the system to make the correct adjustments at the line. You are not bringing in someone from outside the organization at this point in time as trusting Brady's health to them.

I hop e David A will return to play football again, only if this situation is resolved.

The reason I’m not too concerned with a huge drop in performance is the two great guards we have next to whoever’s at center.

The biggest loss is in brain power, the Center makes all the line calls. The line calls set up the protection so that all the lineman know who to block on each play. That's the issue with moving a rookie in there. Especially one that was not a center previously. Andrews was able to jump right in because he was a 3 or 4 year starter at center for Georgia. I fear for moving a Danish rookie to center might be too dangerous!

Also I don't want to move either guard to center, because that too will disrupt the line, better to only change on moving part than three or four. So I'm guessing Ferenz, but don't count out a trade for an experienced center.

If he was, he would have been starting over Andrews.

Not necessarily. He could be more or less the same and they'd still go with the guy who has more experience. Or he could end up being better once given the opportunity to develop with more game experience. I'm not saying either of these things are true, just that Andrews starting doesn't automatically mean Karras CAN'T be better.

I agree with others though that he doesn't need to be. As long as he's solid, we know the two guys next to him are great, which helps a ton. Cannon is no slouch either, so long as he stays healthy. Wynn is the big X factor here. If he lives up to his billing, we can absolutely thrive with Karras being our "worst" starting OL.

Does anyone feel Karras can be just as good as Andrews?
Andrews was undervalued by fans for most of his career. I do not believe Karras will be as good as Andrews. Having said that : I am confident he can be a solid contributor NE can count upon to keep this train rolling.

Good thing we have Two Top Guards along the Interior so whoever plays Center their weaknesses should be covered up. Really hope David Andrews take the year off and come back strong next year. I would be very surprised to see him back this calendar year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back