PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to Replace Andrews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I wish Andrews a full and speedy recovery, difficult to pick a favorite player from this last SB run but I was fascinated by Andrews and Develin opening lanes for Michel in the post season. He is a great player.

Now regarding the question, how to replace Andrews? Whatever the approach is, I think the team should look into it thinking long term. Andrews is done for the season and there aren't many players who come back from clot issues.

I confess I'm impressed with the comments on Karras, I didn't think he was going to be more than a backup guard but I never actually pay attention on his play to judge that way.

Will we see Brady in preseason game four because of this?

Much as I like Wynn at LT, I’d still like to see a Trent Williams for a 1st get done. Thuney goes to C, Wynn to LG, and they have the nastiest OL in football. I realize this sh.t rarely happens, but the Skins can’t wait forever, and another 1st will give them leverage in the next draft.

You don’t replace Andrews period. However, you do improve on who is there. Need Ted to step it up and improve stat.

Have we ever seen Brady in preseason game 4?

Yes, we did. A few years ago, they stunk it up so bad in the 3rd preseason game that BB made all the starters play again in game 4. Don't recall which year.

Will we see Brady in preseason game four because of this?

It's actually a good question...changing the starting center 2 weeks before the season starts is a big deal. However I think they have had a lot of shared snaps between the 2 of them and i suspect their will be plenty more during practice before the Steelers game.

You don’t replace Andrews period. However, you do improve on who is there. Need Ted to step it up and improve stat.

What leads you to the “improve stat” conclusion?

Karras has appeared more than capable in his previous starts over the past few seasons.

Yes, we did. A few years ago, they stunk it up so bad in the 3rd preseason game that BB made all the starters play again in game 4. Don't recall which year.

Yep 2016

The Athletic polled their team writers for positions of need and positions of surplus. There were 7 teams with a need at offensive tackle, 3 at interior offensive line, and 4 at just general offensive line. That’s 14 of 32 teams in need, and that didn’t include the Patriots as Underhill only did the top need (tight end) rather than listing 2-3 positions like some other writers.

Only two teams were listed as having a surplus of offensive linemen, the Eagles and Cowboys. That’s why acquiring an upgrade on the offensive line is going to be hard. Demand is seven times the supply.

https://theathletic.com/1165706/2019/08/28/a-look-at-each-nfl-teams-needs-and-surpluses-heading-into-cut-down-day/

Mills is a below-replacement RT and is no longer an option at LT. He's not what we should be looking for right now. There will be plenty of better Swing Tackle options than him available on Saturday; I really hope that Bill secures one of them, as well as a veteran C/G to help Karras & Frodo, and to pinch-hit for either of them if necessary.

There may not be much available. We may need to trade to get a dependable swing OT.

Mills is a below-replacement RT and is no longer an option at LT. He's not what we should be looking for right now. There will be plenty of better Swing Tackle options than him available on Saturday; I really hope that Bill secures one of them, as well as a veteran C/G to help Karras & Frodo, and to pinch-hit for either of them if necessary.

Trent Williams signing, and move a tackle to center?

I prefer to have a center play center
Or at least a backup Guard who has previously taken some practice snaps at Center, such as what Dan Connolly was in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back