PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to Replace Andrews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simplest solution is usually the correct one. Bring on Steady Teddy.

So no love for "thanks Dad" James Ferentz??:confused:
None whatsoever; he's just not nearly good enough to be on the 53 of the defending champions, even under these desperate circumstances.

Mongo Junior-Junior is unquestionably the Next Man Up; that fact is sadly no longer up for serious debate. The real question therefore becomes: We now have only 6 NFL-calibre OLmen in the building, so what are we going to do about it - wait for Cutdown Day, make a trade, sign free agent John Sullivan as a stopgap, some of the above or all of the above?

None whatsoever; he's just not nearly good enough to be on the 53 of the defending champions, even under these desperate circumstances.

Mongo Junior-Junior is unquestionably the Next Man Up; that fact is sadly no longer up for serious debate. The real question therefore becomes: We now have only 6 NFL-calibre OLmen in the building, so what are we going to do about it - wait for Cutdown Day, make a trade, sign free agent John Sullivan as a stopgap, some of the above or all of the above?

Duly noted Coach cap.:)

Isn’t it cool that the son of the guy that played Emanuel Lewis’s dad on TV plays for the Pats?
Alex Karras (Mongo) was Ted's great uncle, not his dad.

I can't recall a single instance of Andrews not being on the same page as Brady. He is right up there with the best of Patriots centers to ever play the game.

While I agree with you that a center has a lot of responsibilities and needs to be in sync with Brady lets not over exaggerate how difficult the position is. We went to two AFCCG with Ryan Wendell playing there before that one year of Stork and then Andrews.

If anything trust Scar to coach whoever ends up starting up to at least competent level. And lets not act like Andrews was some kind of Pro Bowl player either.

I suggest a middle approach. Offer Karras starter money, just not market money that normally goes for a proven, experienced veteran.

The idea is to give Karras a contract that all will be happy with for years to come. I believe that used to this a lot with backup offensive lineman, who started sometimes. Cannon and Neal come to mind.

Karras has the chance to start this year and may want to bet on himself in free agency next year rather than accept an extension for backup money now.

As of now the backups are Froholdt, Croston, Skipper, Ferentz, and Cajuste (NFI)

Froholdt is the backup you seem to be looking for. He is the next man up. Croston is a better choice than Skipper as Game Day backup. He know the system and the players.

So, we would keep 2-3 backups. We definitely need to pick up a veteran OT. The team may be fine with Froholdt as the Game Day backup inside, with Croston as the inactive backup at more than one position.

This is what I was wondering. What about these other O-lineman on the roster? Ferentz seems like a good guy, but hadn't looked good in preseason and I wouldn't be too excited with him as one of our top backups. But what about Gauthier, St. Louis, Ivey etc.? Can any of them be a solid backup C or G? Doesn't Croston play G and T? Although I know Croston isn't great either.

This is what I was wondering. What about these other O-lineman on the roster? Ferentz seems like a good guy, but hadn't looked good in preseason and I wouldn't be too excited with him as one of our top backups. But what about Gauthier, St. Louis, Ivey etc.? Can any of them be a solid backup C or G? Doesn't Croston play G and T? Although I know Croston isn't great either.

Croston has taken snaps at center.
Mason took snaps at center in practices for Georgia Tech but hasn't taken any with the Patriots that I know of.

Gauthier is a Center. He's a dark horse to make the team. He has plenty of good measurables. The question is whether or not he knows the blocking assignments and can make the calls needed.

One thing that happened when Stork was center is that Mankins called out assignments. I think that Thuney could be more than adequate at doing this if need be.

Last edited:
As of now the backups are Froholdt, Croston, Skipper, Ferentz, and Cajuste (NFI)

Froholdt is the backup you seem to be looking for. He is the next man up. Croston is a better choice than Skipper as Game Day backup. He know the system and the players.

So, we would keep 2-3 backups. We definitely need to pick up a veteran OT. The team may be fine with Froholdt as the Game Day backup inside, with Croston as the inactive backup at more than one position.

And you know this for certain how?

I don't how many times all of us need to say this; perhaps it should be a stickie.

No one posting here is posting secret certain information. We state our opinions. We do our own analysis. Alternatively, we quote the opinions of others or their analysis.

It's clearly his opinion/analysis of the offensive-line, and what the ideal personnel approach is (in MG's mind).

Of course he doesn't know any of that for certain, he's a fan posting on a forum, sharing his analysis. That's the very point of this forum, to share our personal thoughts, opinions, and analyses; it's implied/assumed that our respective analyses are based on our personal observations/opinions and not rooted in any certainty.

Holding someone's post to a standard of "certainty" is absurd considering the forum. If we could only post things we are certain of, this forum would be reduced exclusively to sharing news-based stories that come directly from the team.

In essence, holding posters to a standard of being certain of what they're opining about would render this forum (and basically all sports commentary, speculation, journalism, and radio) completely moot.

I don't how many times all of us need to say this; perhaps it should be a stickie.

No one posting here is posting secret certain information. We state our opinions. We do our own analysis. Alternatively, we quote the opinions of others or their analysis.

You always seem to be posting with certainty. And you always seem to get defensive when someone questions what you post. Most others, when they post, use phrases like "I think" or "IMHO" or some such.

As someone else mentioned, they felt that Gauthier was ahead of a guy like Ferentz. Which could be a very good thing as Gauthier has a lot of experience at Center from a Pro-Style offense in Miami.

Gauthier at 6'4 and 311 seems to be built to be a center. He seems to have good technique and good hands. The question is whether or not that has translated enough for him to supplant Ferentz. I hope it does.

I suggest a middle approach. Offer Karras starter money, just not market money that normally goes for a proven, experienced veteran.

The idea is to give Karras a contract that all will be happy with for years to come. I believe that used to this a lot with backup offensive lineman, who started sometimes. Cannon and Neal come to mind.

I’ve been thinking the same...give him starter pay now and avoid a contact issue in a year or two.

Last edited:
Either way I think there is enough skill on the OL to cover the Andrews situation. I am more concerned as to who may be released or traded for to either stay at the level we are at or improve it. Will this be a season where good Centres or swing tackles are in abundance after cut down day.

However , on the other hand I have no doubt that BB and Caserio have potential replacements in mind for such occasions.

I suspect that we will need to use a draft pick (a 4th?) to secure a reasonable backup swing OT.

I'd be fine with Wynn, Cannon, veteran and Cajuste (half year) for 2019, with the hope that Cajuste develops. A veteran with at least 2 years on his contract would be best. I suspect another OT draftee in 2020 unless Cajuste looks really good. This strategy will help control cost at OT, a potentially costly position.

Either way I think there is enough skill on the OL to cover the Andrews situation. I am more concerned as to who may be released or traded for to either stay at the level we are at or improve it. Will this be a season where good Centres or swing tackles are in abundance after cut down day.

However , on the other hand I have no doubt that BB and Caserio have potential replacements in mind for such occasions.

Isn’t it cool that the son of the guy that played Emanuel Lewis’s dad on TV plays for the Pats?

And it's even cooler that Emanuel Lewis is now playing QB for the Arizona Cardinals.

I suspect that we will need to use a draft pick (a 4th?) to secure a reasonable backup swing OT.

I'd be fine with Wynn, Cannon, veteran and Cajuste (half year) for 2019, with the hope that Cajuste develops. A veteran with at least 2 years on his contract would be best. I suspect another OT draftee in 2020 unless Cajuste looks really good. This strategy will help control cost at OT, a potentially costly position.
Who? There are maybe 5 worthwhile veteran non-starter tackles who are under contract for two years, and they’re all their team’s top swing tackle. These teams aren’t going to take a fourth round pick in return for a hole at their own swing tackle spot.

fair enough, but Belichick has been good at this process in the past. And, yes, Bill may need to settle for a player in his last year. I suspect that the best time to be successful is before the final cut.

Who? There are maybe 5 worthwhile veteran non-starter tackles who are under contract for two years, and they’re all their team’s top swing tackle. These teams aren’t going to take a fourth round pick in return for a hole at their own swing tackle spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back