PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much longer will BB coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finance...I really hate it. lol
Congrats. I’ve kinda weaved my way through the finance world for the last 15 years or so. Started as a trader, then went into wealth management, and have been in capital raising for the last 5 years or so. Best of luck to you.

Depends. He needs to prove He can win a division title without Brady

he’s never done that

Bedard’s Sunday Column (behind pay wall) was about this issue. Basically, he said he had not seen anything hinting at Belichick’s retirement until this off-season/training camp.

Bedard mentioned Shula’s record and seemed to think Bill would stick around to pass it. But, the NFL stands for “not for long”, so I’m not sure why Belichick would be putting pieces in place for a retirement with that’s 5 years in the future.

There was another interesting quote in the column. Bedard quoted Peyton Manning talking about Belichick dissing Joe Montana and Jim Kelly to him when Bill was coaching him in a Pro Bowl. The quote just reinforced what I’ve always believed; Bill doesn’t respect Don Shula or his accomplishments, so he could care less about passing them. George Halas on the other hand is a different story. 14 wins moves Bill ahead of Papa Bear. With a 17 game schedule and a playoff win or two, that’s achievable this season.

I was thinking about this the other day. To the horror of some of the people here, I think McDaniels will be the Pat’s next HC. I think it’ll be between 2-5 years when Belichick resigns. I think if he wins another SB, he’ll resign on top.

I can’t believe he’s almost 70, that makes me feel old as hell. I wonder how much longer he’s going to coach? Nick saban just turned 70 and he’s showing no signs of slowing down. Maybe in the future he will do what the Celtics did. Remain the GM and hire a separate coach. Who knows, maybe he will do it for another 5-7 years.
You'll know he's about ready to go when he formally names his son the Defensive Coordinator. Because that's the last step in his own dynastic plan before kicking himself up into doing the GM job with a big of Ernie Adams mixed in.

I've got a very strong impression that he wants to hold on until he can hand the reins to Steve, or at least that's a goal he's maneuvering towards if it can be done, but he's gonna make Steve earn it by being a good coach and working his way up the chain of command with a minimum of favoritism.

I also think Steve's done a great job as a coach so far so if that is his plan, I'm all for it.

Bedard’s Sunday Column (behind pay wall) was about this issue. Basically, he said he had not seen anything hinting at Belichick’s retirement until this off-season/training camp.
Did he specifically what the hints were this off-season/TC? Because I believe the FO additions were a big indicator that the transition is in place. Selecting Jones was another one and fast tracking him to the starter.

Kraft has said (from 2017) he has an idea of when Bill could move on but basically it’s up to him. I don’t know if I buy that but I don’t think this is his last year with the team even in the half decent chance they miss out on the playoffs again.

Even if that happens I think the team’s competitive window will open in the next year or two and I’d think BB will want to stick around as HC for that. And I think he absolutely wants to pass Shula.

Last edited:
Kraft has said (from 2017) he has an idea of when Bill could move on but basically it’s up to him. I don’t know if I buy that but I don’t think this is his last year with the team even in the half decent chance they miss out on the playoffs again.

Even if that happens I think the team’s competitive window will open in the next year or two and I’d think BB will want to stick around as HC for that. And I think he absolutely wants to pass Shula.
I absolutely buy what Kraft said... BB coaches til he doesn't. End of story.

And you know he wants to erase Shula. And you know what? I want him to knock Shula off the top of the pile. For purely selfish reasons.

I was thinking about this the other day. To the horror of some of the people here, I think McDaniels will be the Pat’s next HC. I think it’ll be between 2-5 years when Belichick resigns. I think if he wins another SB, he’ll resign on top.
Oh that will be fun. Right now you've already got people feeling like they should be universally acknowledged as being better at being HC than BB, based on how the Pats stank it up with Newton, and the Bucs won the SB with Brady... the "It was all Tom" crew.

Can you imagine the improvement to the board's numbers if the Pats are suspect at every turn and no coaching decision is safe, with no laurels to fall back on? :eek: Good for traffic on the board, I'll betcha that much!

I absolutely buy what Kraft said... BB coaches til he doesn't. End of story.

And you know he wants to erase Shula. And you know what? I want him to knock Shula off the top of the pile. For purely selfish reasons.
It's out there and everybody knows it.

I'm amazed at how we're denigrated, and now overtly, blatantly and brazenly disadvantaged with zero substantive or justified or factual basis.

The Patriots - looked down upon since the implementation of the merger in 1970. "Well, we'll take the AFL teams, but that Boston team is a joke. they don't belong." Like Denver and Cincinnati are better?

All of the winning and achievements in the 70's and 80's were qualified and dismissed; while every rare losing season and real/imagined negative incident was trumpeted as 'typical'.

Robert Kraft - "Well, he can have the team, but - winning? No, we can't have that. Parcells returning to New York is 'better for the league.'"

Tom Brady - "The Tuck Rule. He's a 'system quarterback'. They're 'doing something'[cheating]."

Bill Belichick - "Pond scum." "Toxic." "Mentally troubled."

All of this B.S. is motivational. You can't help but be offended - and more determined. Yeah, we ran up the score in 2007 with more mustard on it than we would have otherwise.

This is not totally within his control.
In the sense that BB's physical health, his continued mental acuity, the Krafts' desires and natural or man-made catastrophes are part of the equation, you are right. But aside from those factors, I think the likelihood of his continuing until he surpasses Shula is in the realm of the sun rising in the east and setting in the west tomorrow. I don't think Belichick enjoys anything more than coaching great teams and teaching good teams how to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back